Fog Lights?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

James Tate

Fog Lights?

Post by James Tate »

Has anyone expiremented with converting the original turn signals into fog lights connected to the (currently disabled) headlight kill switch? This seems like a simple enough procedure from a mechanical standpoint, but my knowledge of electricity is pretty basic. I imagine having three headlights on the front would be a lot more useful than four turn signals, which I currently have wired up.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I would love to hear if this could be done. More visability can't be a bad thing. Although would the warranty be voided?
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Another important issue is whether or not the charging system can handle it. I don't imagine the Buddy generates a lot of juice, so extra lights might result in a dead battery and immobile Buddy...
soundofsingles

Post by soundofsingles »

vitaminC wrote:Another important issue is whether or not the charging system can handle it. I don't imagine the Buddy generates a lot of juice, so extra lights might result in a dead battery and immobile Buddy...
Replacing the bulbs with LEDs might solve that problem. Although you might also need to install a load equalizer as well. I'd ask a pro first. :shock:
DeadPatroit

won't work

Post by DeadPatroit »

Merely changing the color of the bulbs won't make those dot mandated turn indicators, or the body mounted ones either for that matter into fog lamps. A true fog light, or driving lamp, isnt merly a small auxillary light. A fog light throws a flat, mail slot like beam of light that is intended to illuminate the ground instead of illuminating the fog and blinding you. To be effective a fog lamp should be mounted low on a vehicle.. bumper height or lower on an automobile. On the other hand, a driving light will throw a long pencil beam a great distance.. but also on the road.. not out into the background like a hi-beam. I seriously doubt wether the lenses on the buddy will actually throw a beam of any kind. they are designed just to light up as a marker on the bike
real friends don't let friends use Windows.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

I think the idea of replacing the original bulbs with LEDs is to save some watts for other purposes, as LED's use considerably less power than incandescent bulbs. Switching the turn/running/brake lights over to LED might scavenge enough juice to run a single fog or driving light.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Can you find LED lights to fit the buddy at a car parts store?
Sailn

Post by Sailn »

A quick search on ebay turned up a few.
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

Sorry. I don't have the buddy yet, so I don't know what bulbs they use. Is it printed on the bulb what size/wattage/volts they are?
bnl552

LED Bulbs

Post by bnl552 »

I found LED replacement bulbs at Pep boys. They were not in the bulb section, they were in the imports/customs section. $7.99 each.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I dont think fog lights would be best on a scooter this small. There is a thread on how to make the OEM turn signals into running lights with clear lights, but it drains on the main headlight, there is a video on youtube which shows this.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

Here are directions on how to do it.

topic576.html
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

toddrw2251 wrote:Here are directions on how to do it.

topic576.html
Don't do it, the lenses and housings will melt
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Definitely some valid points comming up here. The stock housings probably would melt, but I can't say that for sure. I can shed some light on why the lights might run too dim. A halogen bulb will only use the power you send to it so don't worry about too many lights draining your battery (although a HID ballast will). The stock electrical system only generates a certain ammount of amps, every light you have on needs some of those. Once you have lighting that requires more amps then you electrical system can provide you get dim lights and reduced charging capacity. The math of it is Amps = Wattage / Volts. A higher wattage bulb also generates more heat and can melt stuff including the wires feeding it power.
If you want to use some LEDs (they do require less power) adding a load equalizer defeats the purpose of saving energy, you'd need to change the relay instead to keep your turn signals flashing the right way. If you're wondering why or how I know this look for my posts regarding an upgrade to HIDs on my Rattler110... I also have more information on it at www.epsp.us in the technical section and at genuinerattler (yahoo group). I know more about my electrical system and lights then I want to :cry:
EZPZ #65
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

ScooterTrash wrote:Don't do it, the lenses and housings will melt
sorry, FALSE. I've had my front lights clear running incandescents for a couple months... I rode to Fairhope and back and all around with them on (about 4 hours straight). No probs at all. I think the LEDs would be better, I'll prolly wait till these burn out first to upgrade. 8)
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I'm sure your lights aren't 35w fog lights... 2 of those and you're asking the scooter for an additional 6+ amps of power to light them properly.
EZPZ #65
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Yeah, they're just regular 1156s. They don't really shine much light on the ground, but they make my scoot a lot more visible. The headlight is for seeing ahead... the runners are for BEING SEEN. 8)
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Exactly :D
EZPZ #65