Price you Paid for your Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

STLBuddy50

Price you Paid for your Buddy 50

Post by STLBuddy50 »

Good Morning Everyone!!

Very very close to finally pulling the trigger on a Buddy 50 from an awesome local dealer here in St. Louis. Before making an offer I was curious as to what the average price at the dealer people paid...I was hoping to spring a deal with winter weather fast approaching. If you don't mind sharing please respond below!

Thank you![/list]
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

While I can obviously appreciate trying to get the best bang for your buck when buying a scooter, please don't shortchange your dealer.

Things to think about:

(1) Did they offer you the bike near MSRP? (Don't forget, MSRP does NOT reflect what the dealer paid to have the bike shipped, to have the bike inspected/PDI'd by a mechanic, etc.)

(2) Instead of asking for a deal on the cost of the bike, consider asking for a deal on accessories or a First Service (which is required under warranty).

(3) How does the price compare between the two dealerships in your area? Instead of asking a Country-wide question, it should be focused towards your local area. While it's great if you can find a Buddy50 on the cheap across the country, it doesn't do you any good.

In short, talk with your dealerships. See who can offer you the best price. Try for some discounted accessories or first service. Remember, you will likely be bringing your Buddy back to the dealership. They want to keep you happy, but you will also want them to be happy.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you are looking for ways to save money, let me offer another point of view. Is this your first scooter, i.e. are you an inexperienced rider? Are you sure a 50 will meet your needs for the next several years? The 50 is a "starter" scooter for many riders and lightly used ones appear on the market fairly often. Would you be better served by a used 50 as you gain experience and evaluate your needs? Much more cost effective approach and worth considering depending on your situation.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Dooglas wrote:If you are looking for ways to save money, let me offer another point of view. Is this your first scooter, i.e. are you an inexperienced rider? Are you sure a 50 will meet your needs for the next several years? The 50 is a "starter" scooter for many riders and lightly used ones appear on the market fairly often. Would you be better served by a used 50 as you gain experience and evaluate your needs? Much more cost effective approach and worth considering depending on your situation.
I'll second Dooglas's comments. If you're a first time rider, think bigger. My first scooter was a Honda Elite 80 purchased from a local Honda/Yamaha dealer. I was so disappointed in its slowness that I took it back to the same dealer and traded it in on a brand new Yamaha Vino 125. But, if you have to have a 50, as Dooglas says, think used as there are plenty of them out there on the used market.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
'14 170i Hooligan
Clydeo

50 not enough bike?

Post by Clydeo »

I know many, if not most, will not agree with me, but I really do think that it is best to start out with a 50 cc de-restricted scooter. I think that starting small forces one to become a better rider. You learn to look farther ahead, to plan, to think things out. You can't just blip the throttle and hope for the best: you have to develops real skills and strategies to keep yourself safe. I ride a lot of bikes, but I am continually amazed at just how much you can actually do, and do well, with a 45mph bike. I would love to ride my Buddy 50 cross country!
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

Sigh.

Welcome STLBuddy.

I want to assure you and remind myself that this is an amazing discussion board full of people whose intentions are overwhelmingly good. There are few places on the internet as helpful and polite as MB.

So when you ask any question pre-50 purchase and you get more responses about how you shouldn't purchase a 50 rather than in answer to your actual question, do not be discouraged. They really are trying to be helpful. And they're right, many people do step up to a bigger engine in what might be considered a short time. But for many others, a 50 is just right. For many people, starting on a 50 and stepping up is just fine and not something to regret or whatever.

To answer your question, I paid MSRP+tax but got the dealer to waive all the other (prep, delivery, etc.) fees. I did buy as winter was coming on and they were ready to offload some stuff.

In short, there are deals to be made, and although it seems to be the general consensus that you're going to hurt your dealer's feelings and... what? he'll refuse to sell you a scooter?, I don't think it hurts to ask. But try to have reasonable expectations and know that the deals will not seem as big as if you're buying a new 2015 car right now or buying a piece of furniture from the clearance selection.

It *is* important that you feel you can trust your dealer to maintain both their business and your ride, and get you what you need in a reasonable time frame. Less so if you will do a lot of the work yourself, but you still want a source you can turn to when you need it. The dealers around here dried up after I was riding for a few years and I'm afraid it might mean the slow death of my 2-wheel career. :?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I think it is important to note that I did not advocate buying a scooter with larger engine instead of a 50. I observed that many riders do later step up to a larger displacement scooter - that is a fact. I pointed out that the advantages of buying a used 50 are that it costs less, it is less traumatic if you damage it while you learn to ride, and you lose less if you later decide to trade up. (win/win/win)
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

To answer your question, a friend of mine bought his RH50, which I think is the same price as the Buddy for $1999.00 which is MSRP + around 250 dealer prep shipping whatever charge. I think they threw in the break in service.
This was in the Boston area, at a great dealer.
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

So did you pull the trigger or what?
STLBuddy50

Post by STLBuddy50 »

Still weighing my options before pulling the trigger...the local dealer did offer to include winter storage which certainly sweetens the pot. To clarify...my goal is not to short the local dealer at all, I was really looking to see what everyone paid to make sure I'm getting a fair deal. Anytime I see a price advertised higher than MSRP I need verification that it's still worth consideration. To be entirely honest, I need to understand the "value adds" that justify the jump I price.

A few more questions: The dealer offered to derestrict the 50 to achieve additional speed. How big of a difference have you seen/what speed can you reach?

I won't be using the Buddy for a daily commuter but in the spring/summer/fall as an enjoyable secondary mode of transportation. We live in the city and St. Louis is relatively moped friendly. Is the 125 really necessary if the moped won't be a daily driver?

In Missouri (and most states) a 125 requires a motorcycle license. If I chose that route what does that process entail? How much more will it end up costing me initially?
Clydeo

New scooter

Post by Clydeo »

The cost of getting a Motorcycle license varies from state to state. When I lived in MO back in the '80's, it was just a few bucks for a permit and then later on the test. I would STRONGLY suggest taking a MSF class for new riders, no matter which bike you get. In PA it is free, but I think it costs a couple of hundred bucks in some other states. For me, there is no insurance difference with Progressive for a 50cc bike versus a 125.
Restricted, the Buddy 50 goes about 30 mph. De-restricted, mine maxes out at around 50 BMPH (about 45 real mph). It gets a very reliable 100 mpg. The operating costs of the Buddy 50 and the 125 are hard to compare, as the 50 requires 2 stroke oil to be added regularly, which the 125 doesn't, while the 125 requires regular valve adjustments, which the 50 doesn't. The valve adjustments are simple to do, but can be pricey if you have the dealer do them.
Both are fine bikes. I really like my 50, but I have other bikes for riding on the highway or to take on long trips. If I am just doing errands, running to the grocery store, or riding in the city, though, I prefer to grab the scooter.
If I lived in St. Louis, I think I would prefer an armored car, personally, but I think the 50 would do just fine. if I was going to carry a passenger, I think I would get a different bike altogether. My wife and I ride two up on the 50, and it is ok for a few miles, but it is slow and uncomfortable for the passenger. The Buddy is a small bike!
Before you make up your mind, check with your state laws. A restricted 50 is too slow to be safe, IMHO. In PA, you can ride a de-restricted 50 with just a regular license. That makes a 50 handy, because when family or friends visit, they can tag along on it when we ride the other bikes. But if you need a motorcycle license to ride a de-restricted 50, you might as well get your bike license and get a 125. It can go places a 50 can't, especially in an urban area.
Just my two-bits: other opinions may vary! And while much of the advice you receive here may seem contradictory, it really isn't! It's just that everyone has their own experiences, which are all different. It is the sum of those combined experiences which is truly valuable!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

STLBuddy50 wrote:In Missouri (and most states) a 125 requires a motorcycle license. If I chose that route what does that process entail? How much more will it end up costing me initially?
Each state's rules are a little different so you should check with your DMV. In most places, you can obtain a motorcycle endorsement (also valid for scooters over 50cc), by taking an MSF Basic course. My opinion is that you, or any new rider, should take the MSF course so that you are a more skilled and safer rider - regardless of what scooter you plan to ride. It is just as easy to dump a 50cc scooter as a 125cc - and the result is about the same.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Regarding price over MSRP:

MSRP does not include the price the dealer pays to have the scooter shipped to the dealership, or the PDI (Post-Delivery Inspection/Prep) they have to pay their mechanic. Some dealerships will post the MSRP, then tack these fees on later (Destination charge, paperwork fees, etc.), while other dealers will build them into their retail price.

Regarding 50cc vs 125cc:

It seems I'm in the minority of this debate. Many suggest that if you can get a Motorcycle license, to do it and just get the 125cc. However, there are multiple reasons one may opt for a 50cc over a 125cc (legal reasons, comfort level, cost, etc.). If this is your first bike, start out on a 50cc, and then trade up if you like it. As others have said, though, a 125 will have a lot more get-up-and-go, and a lot more top speed. If this is your main concern, go for the 125 and license.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I bought a used 125 buddy, but had I known that a derestricted buddy 50 could go 50 bmph, (according to an above post) I think I would have looked for a 50cc instead. I rarely take my 125 faster than 50 bmph. I don't feel safer going any faster. Either way you must take the time to learn to ride safely. I know I'll never want anything bigger than a 125, and a 50cc would have sufficed if they do indeed go 50 bmph..
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ucandoit wrote:I bought a used 125 buddy, but had I known that a derestricted buddy 50 could go 50 bmph, (according to an above post) I think I would have looked for a 50cc instead.
A Buddy 50 will (maybe) do 50 bmph just like a 125 will (maybe) do 70 bmph. That is to say, somewhat of a downhill grade, tailwind, something to help it along. A Buddy 50 does not accelerate equivalent to a Buddy 125, nor does it hold its speed on an uphill slope like the 125. Nor will the engine last as long. I'd say you made a good choice.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Dooglas. I appreciate your response about what a Buddy 50 is really capable of. I once asked a dealer if I could test drive a 50cc, but was told they weren't yet set up to ride. So, I've not had the chance to ride one. My 125 is fine, but I would like to ride a 50cc just to see for myself what the differences are.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Sorry about revivng an old thread- but was wondering the same as the OP . I dont really see a lot of activity on this board anymore so I hope some people chime in. (maybe MB should move to a facebook page to get more interaction) anyway- just ordered a new buddy 50 pamplona-, pick it up friday- not sure of the final otd price, but it will be about 2400. Price: 2099.00+tax, a new tag and title work. pretty good price for me considering what they have to do to get driving home. I have been wondering just how much dealers negotiate down with the new inventory if at all.

ps- as a new guy reading about scooters, it is funny to see that almost every question someone has on the internet regarding a 50cc will solicit the almost the exact same responses usually not having to do with the question at hand.
Syd

Post by Syd »

You're right, Modern Buddy isn't as busy as it once was, but as long as the Buddy is made, people will still come here, just like you did. You can even help make MB busier! Margins on scooters is pretty low, which is why your dealer is more likely to give you a break on accessories or service than the price of the scoot. Asking what a potential buyer wants to do with their new 50 scoot isn't off topic, it makes sense. Why buy a 50 if you want to keep up with the traffic on main city streets?

I hope MB never decides to head over to the black hole of FB. I don't have an account there and wouldn't get one. It's been the death of one forum I know of, I'd rather it not be two.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Yeah I understand everyone wanting to give advice, but it is usually not what was asked for. Anyway, I agree with Facebook being a black hole of civilization. I quit it about 5 years ago but I have an account for my business. I am a paid subscriber to another forum and we are very active there and nobody interacts through Facebook. I guess I am just surprised there isn't more activity here, but then again there is probably only so much scooter talk to he had among the people that have been here a long time. Maybe have an OT section for things that may not be exactly about scooters but still may be interesting for "scooter minded" people. Thanks for the reply- hope to see some more threads in the future.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I believe that asking the OP about his expectations/use case for a 50cc is totally relevant. If you are on this forum regularly, you routinely see folks ask about how to make their new 50cc or 125cc scooters faster more powerful when this really should have been a question asked before the purchase. Part of the the reason that so many used 50cc scooters come up on CL and eBay are from folks that bought them thinking it would meet a need and then finding out that it didn't.

I would actually hope that any reputable scooter dealer would ask the same questions to a potential customer rather than just blindly selling a bike.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

cummingsjc wrote:If you are on this forum regularly, you routinely see folks ask about how to make their new 50cc or 125cc scooters faster more powerful when this really should have been a question asked before the purchase.
Exactly right!