Stock Buddy lights vs halogens?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Ghoster

Stock Buddy lights vs halogens?

Post by Ghoster »

Probably a silly question...but, can more powerful headlights be installed in a Buddy? Halogens? Thanks - Ghoster :roll:
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

I tried finding a PIAA Xtreme White replacement for my 07, but i could not. :cry:

The 06 is a H6M

The 07 is some kinda weird lamp, Not a normal H4 as I assumed.
Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rajron

Post by rajron »

In regards to a 06 Buddy – not sure of latter years – you can get a H6m PIAA Xtreme White here: http://www.wheelsmotorsports.com/ATV/EL ... BULB.htm?0 They are about $27 but are much better, brighter and I hope last longer than the last Halogen bulb upgrade I purchased.
Ghoster

Post by Ghoster »

Excellent rajron...how about bulbs for the front riding lights?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Ghoster wrote:Excellent rajron...how about bulbs for the front riding lights?
You can get bulbs for those lights, but will have to rewire them to work as either turn signals or running lights.

Check this out:
topic48.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ebcspace

halogen bulb upgrade

Post by ebcspace »

Ghoster wrote:Probably a silly question...but, can more powerful headlights be installed in a Buddy? Halogens? Thanks - Ghoster :roll:
yes, you can. got mine from
http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/ ... 818W/1339/

there's a post here on how to do it.. for the '06 model.

topic492.html

I've had mine installed since the time the post was made, and it's still going strong. I usually use the low-beam to actually light the road at night, and to conserve the used beam, I switch to high-beam during the day when I am not actually "using" the light.

You do have to be careful in handling the bulb... do not touch the glass with your fingers (at all ! !). Take a clean paper towel, or a clean sheet of paper, fold it at least once or more, and use it as a double-thick or more handling barrier for the precious bulb so you do not touch the glass of the bulb with your fingers, leaving oils from you fingers on the bulb.

Caution : Washing your hands first is not the same as not touching it ! !
scoot on!
lou76

Post by lou76 »

HipCat

Post by HipCat »

Is it just me, or when you turn on your high beams, does it just turn your headlight upward? Like a possum-spotting light? It's brighter, but it doesn't highlight the road for me.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It is aimed a little higher than the low beam. That's pretty normal.

If you haven't already, you can adjust the tilt of the headlight using the screw beneath the lens.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
HipCat

Post by HipCat »

rablack

Post by rablack »

lou76 wrote:...just add an extra armored offroad light to the front, run it to a separate switch...
That's a mod I've been meaning to do. What light did you use and where did you tie in to the wiring harness?
Scooterist, lawyer, double bassist www.traveler-music.com
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

HipCat wrote:Is it just me, or when you turn on your high beams, does it just turn your headlight upward? Like a possum-spotting light? It's brighter, but it doesn't highlight the road for me.
I've posted this before, but here's the article I googled to aim my headlight and after following these instructions I've been much happier with it. To give you an idea how off it was- according to these instructions it should be hitting 38" off the ground and coming from the dealer it was aiming 5" off the ground.

I also installed the Silverstar halogen on my Italia and that made a difference as well but the aiming was the huge thing.
----------------------
Motorcycle Headlight Aiming
Getting a correctly aimed headlight is straightforward. You need to make a couple of measurements and then aim the light at a flat wall, as follows:

With the bike on its wheels and you astride, have a helper measure the distance from the floor to the center of the headlight lens.

Pick a flat wall where you can locate the bike so the headlight is 17 feet from the wall. Place a horizontal mark on the wall two (2) inches lower than the height of the center of the headlight.

The headlight beam (on low beam) should be relatively flat on the top, and may rise rather sharply at the right edge. Adjust the headlight vertically so that the flat top of the beam is just up to that
line (marked two inches down at 17 feet).

Horizontal adjustment should center the beam ahead of the line of the bike.