NCY exhaust broke at head

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Xsolusx

NCY exhaust broke at head

Post by Xsolusx »

900 miles.

Started this morning and it was super loud. Shut it off immediately, checked underneath, exhaust broke off at the head.

Lol my blackjack has 2000 miles and I have a broken Prima and broken NCY exhaust.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Haven't you also broken the bolts that hold the exhaust on several times?

If so I would start to wonder if there is some bigger problem with your scooter.
Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

scootERIK wrote:Haven't you also broken the bolts that hold the exhaust on several times?

If so I would start to wonder if there is some bigger problem with your scooter.
Yeppppppp.
paracer

Post by paracer »

I would be checking for a couple things.

No. 1, vibration. Do you feel any vibrations that you would consider excessive? Vibrations cause things to break.

No. 2, loose stuff elsewhere. Is there something else that is loose that can impact the exhaust? Does the suspension/swingarm move around excessively? How about the mounts for the muffler?

Vibration will cause things to break over time. Solid impacts usually take just a few good whacks.
Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

paracer wrote:I would be checking for a couple things.

No. 1, vibration. Do you feel any vibrations that you would consider excessive? Vibrations cause things to break.

No. 2, loose stuff elsewhere. Is there something else that is loose that can impact the exhaust? Does the suspension/swingarm move around excessively? How about the mounts for the muffler?

Vibration will cause things to break over time. Solid impacts usually take just a few good whacks.
It does vibrate but I don't think excessively. I honestly don't know lol. It's been looked at by 3 places for the sheared off bolt problem and nobody can find anything wrong.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Stop crashing....lol, jk
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Starting to smell like a bent frame.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

PeteH wrote:Starting to smell like a bent frame.
How would that affect the engine/exhaust?
paracer

Post by paracer »

It could be something contacting the exhaust that normally would not if the frame is where it should be.

Either that or we have a rider hitting potholes big enough to bend the frame and break the exhaust in the process... not likely though. :)

I'm still really curious if it isn't just the exhaust/muffler not securely fastened to its mounts.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Due to the fact that I didnt kill a NCY exhaust and the new owner of the Buddy 125 didnt kill it either (crashed on exhaust side twice!) Im willing to bet your failure is vibration related. Do lots of WOT runs? A side check that sounds stupid, but is the rear shock worn out? Engine hanger bolts snug? I had a Honda Helix break MANY exhaust until is was discovered that the rear shocks (2 on a Helix) were not working the same, and the exhaust side was picking up excess stress. So let up on the WOT runs and/or try replacing the rear shock, and check all the engine mounting points.