"Long" ride on the Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Clydeo

"Long" ride on the Buddy 50

Post by Clydeo »

When we bought our Buddy 50 a year ago, we got her for the usual reasons: as a convenient "errand runner", as a bike for my wife and daughter to learn on, and as a fun bike to play on. She has exceeded our expectations in every way, and we are very happy with her. But in the back of my my mind, I always wondered, "Could I actually take this thing for a real ride; could she manage a weekend camping tour?"
Well, this morning I found myself on my own. The kids were are all busy, my wife was at a wedding shower, and no one had called about going riding or canoeing, so I decided to run down to Gettysburg, and to ride the Buddy, just to see how she would do. I took Rt. 34 most of the way. It is a two lane highway, an ancient road dating back well before colonial times. The speed limit varies between 35 and 55; the road passes through medium size cities (like Carlisle) and small towns (like Shermansdale). It passes over several "mountains" (in PA, 2600 feet makes for a mountain. We aren't talking Mt. Everest here) and is twisty enough to be fun. It is a fairly busy road, but it has a lot of relatively quiet sections as well. In other words, it represents what is typical of a secondary hi way here in PA.
How did the Buddy do? Just fine, of course. The total trip was 167 miles long, and It took me s total of 2 hours and 45 minutes of travel time. I could keep up with traffic most (75%) of the time, but I did pull over about 8 times while going up steep hills to let people by. The bike ran smoothly and quietly, and was fairly comfortable, and I liked being able to move my feet around to different positions, something I can't really do on the motorcycle. The seat became uncomfortable after an hour, but that's normal for me on any bike. And when I got caught in traffic (there is a car show going on in Carlisle. I missed that somehow.) I really appreciated the automatic transmission. All in all, a very successful trial.
So yes, the Buddy 50 CAN be a touring bike. If one isn't in a hurry, and if no divided highways are involved. I am already planning a ride up to Smethport this Fall, if my daughter and wife will let me have the Buddy long enough, that is!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Love it!

They do great if you have the time. At my size (6'3" and 260) it ALWAYS amazes me that a little 49cc cylinder is pulling me down the road at 40 MPH.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

My longest day on a 50 was about 310 miles. The seat got really old(forgot the gel pad), and the last 50 miles drug on, BUT the bike never missed a beat.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Syd

Post by Syd »

You should search the forum for member TVB's MI way rides. Touring Michigan on his Buddy 50.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Syd wrote:You should search the forum for member TVB's MI way rides. Touring Michigan on his Buddy 50.
Oh, yeah. He did just about every county in Michigan over the years.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
skipper20

Re: "Long" ride on the Buddy 50

Post by skipper20 »

Clydeo wrote:When we bought our Buddy 50 a year ago, we got her for the usual reasons: as a convenient "errand runner", as a bike for my wife and daughter to learn on, and as a fun bike to play on. She has exceeded our expectations in every way, and we are very happy with her. But in the back of my my mind, I always wondered, "Could I actually take this thing for a real ride; could she manage a weekend camping tour?"
so I decided to run down to Gettysburg, and to ride the Buddy, just to see how she would do. I took Rt. 34 most of the way. It is a two lane highway, an ancient road dating back well before colonial times. The speed limit varies between 35 and 55; the road passes through medium size cities (like Carlisle) and small towns (like Shermansdale). It passes over several "mountains" (in PA, 2600 feet makes for a mountain. We aren't talking Mt. Everest here) and is twisty enough to be fun. It is a fairly busy road, but it has a lot of relatively quiet sections as well. In other words, it represents what is typical of a secondary hi way here in PA.
How did the Buddy do? Just fine, of course. The total trip was 167 miles long, and It took me s total of 2 hours and 45 minutes of travel time. I could keep up with traffic most (75%) of the time, but I did pull over about 8 times while going up steep hills to let people by.
It sounds like a great ride and I'm glad you made it safely. But 167 miles in 2 hours and 45 minutes? Wow, that's one screaming fast Buddy 50!!

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
Clydeo

Long trip!

Post by Clydeo »

Lol! Your not kidding! Sorry, that was a typo I obviously missed. It was 117 miles, still a pretty good clip for a 50. I average about 40 mph, but it's a hilly trip. The speedometer read everything from 25 going to McClures Gap to over 60 heading back down. Sorry about the typo; my fingers are too fat for the IPhone keyboard!
bigmike7801

Post by bigmike7801 »

Syd wrote:You should search the forum for member TVB's MI way rides. Touring Michigan on his Buddy 50.
What Gel Pad do you use?