Can anyone figure out how to install milk crate for cheap?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mike932

Can anyone figure out how to install milk crate for cheap?

Post by mike932 »

I have a Buddy 170i. I like milk crates because they hold more than rear trunks. I suppose I could pay $70 for a rear rack which would make it easy to install a milk crate, but is there a cheaper way using the stock grab rail?
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I think only MacGyver could attach a milk crate to the stock grab rail.
The rear rack is the only way to go, but once you have it it's only a few dollars in mounting hardware from a local lowes/home depot to secure a milk crate.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

^I agree. Not enough surface area to attach anything to the grab rail. I replaced both grab rails on my Buddys with chrome racks I bought off ebay for around $65.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
mike932

Post by mike932 »

I might be able to MacGyver this problem. After removing the dust cover of the stock rail, there are 2 metal eyelets that I can screw onto a custom piece of wood that would support the milk crate. I can even drill into the metal rail since they are cheap to replace in the future. The second half of this video shows what I am talking about....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Kt2VimoF8
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Good luck! Post pics/video when it's done. Very nice videos by the way.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Not my videos, but I will post pics. :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

mike932 wrote:I might be able to MacGyver this problem. After removing the dust cover of the stock rail, there are 2 metal eyelets that I can screw onto a custom piece of wood that would support the milk crate. I can even drill into the metal rail since they are cheap to replace in the future.
Could you build your own rack instead of buying one? I suppose you could, but I would use metal rather than wood if I were going to try. Like many other DIY projects, you might find it more trouble than the alternative. And BTW, the grab rail on my Buddy was plastic, not metal.
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Dooglas wrote: ...... And BTW, the grab rail on my Buddy was plastic, not metal.
Plastic is even better. I can easily drill several holes and use zip ties to connect to milk crate. CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. By the way, for those of you who have the stock rail and do not use it, it may be a good idea to just remove it because it makes it easier for thieves to steal your scooter.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

your mileage may vary. We have horrific potholes here, and due to my devil may care attitude I'm on my 3rd rear rack. I also managed to break the U bracket under the plastic in the rear. This may be due to some boob hitting me at 5mph. also broke the joints that hold the rear rack. DeeDee and I drilled through the frame and put some very hefty braces through, and the leverage on the rear rack with a topcase still managed to break it.

I would do a rear rack, milk crate, and then reinforce it with some bungee cords. Take care to make sure your tail light is still visible by much taller vehicles behind you. LIkely they're surfing facebook anyway, but you want every visibility advantage you can get.