Go Scooter from Chicago Scooter Company (Review)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ravenridesacoyote

Go Scooter from Chicago Scooter Company (Review)

Post by ravenridesacoyote »

I moved to Tucson a few months back and was looking for a used scooter. cause I am broke like a joke I started looking at used Buddy's (I owned three of them in the past, two 50's and a 125) but when I stopped by my Genuine Buddy Dealer they showed me the Go's that Genuine was importing under the Chicago Scooter Company. They only had the green, which is a nice color, so I paid $1200 total and was out the door. I got a $50 discount because it had gotten some scuff marks during transport. It comes with a one year parts only warranty.

http://www.chicagoscootercompany.com/go.html

These are Taiwanese made four cylinder, air cooled, 50cc's so I was not expecting much power but I was very happy when I started riding it. It slow off the line but once it gets up to speed it is great. I have 520 miles on it already and it had its first service. I broke it in pretty rough I would say, keep it WOT whenever I could. But now at 520 miles it is running great. I consistently get 110MPG and i easily top off at 40 on the flats. When it is cooler I have hit 45. Yes, it is de-restricted. For $1200 new it is really a fun ride compared to the usual Chinese scoot.

It did die one day when it had about 200 miles on it. I was riding on a desert road and it just stopped. It had been acting weird the week before and I always felt like it was going to stall when I was starting at a stop light, but it one day just died when I was going about 25MPH and would not start at all. I had to push it a half mile. The dealer fixed it up at no charge, turns out the battery was leaking and it corroded some cables. They replaced the battery and a bunch of wires and it ran so much better after they did. Since then I have had zero issues. I rode it 10 miles in the 106 degree heat and it did not seem to care at all.

I have been getting a lot of nice comments on the look of the scoot and people ask me a lot of questions about it which surprised me. I think the black tires and rims, as well as the shade of green really give it an interesting look.

The seat and ride are actually more comfortable to me than the Buddy's seat and reach, but the knee distance is a little close. I tend to sit up on the second seat when I am cruising anyway so... :) The seat, however, is wearing at the seam already and I might bring it in to have them look at it since it seems unusual.

I have a full face helmet and it "fits" in the pet carrier, but it is tight. The fit in the Buddy was much better. They make a matching 24L topcase for it which I think I am buying this week.

Balance and turning feels very good and braking is great as well. Maybe it has been a while, but the difference between the Go and the Buddy is small given the huge difference in price. The small tires, or course, make riding on some of the degraded back roads of Tucson pretty jarring, but it was the same with my Buddy.

But I have no real complaints, and I think if you are broke it is better to but this new than a used Buddy.

I have a lot of scooter miles on me and I plan to put some more on this one. I am already planning a trip from Tucson to Globe, AZ this fall which would be 200 mile round trip.

laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Glad you're enjoying the scoot! The green is my favorite color that they come in.

One correction though: the go. is actually made in China, not Taiwan. That's one reason for the substantial price difference between the go. and the Buddy (other than the parred down details and 4t engine).
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Which route are you planning on taking to Globe? Getting out of Tucson on Rt. 77 (Oracle Rd.) until you get up near the Rt. 79 junction is a bit tough for anything smaller than a 125 due to the fast moving traffic in Oro Valley and the Saddlebrook area. One past, it's a fast road but the crazies turn up 79 towards Phoenix. The other concern is that there's a long 7% uphill grade up past Winkleman that might really tax your scoot and your patience.

I should have my '03 Zuma done before then if you want some backup.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ravenridesacoyote

laurfunkle wrote:Glad you're enjoying the scoot! The green is my favorite color that they come in.

One correction though: the go. is actually made in China, not Taiwan. That's one reason for the substantial price difference between the go. and the Buddy (other than the parred down details and 4t engine).
Thanks!
ravenridesacoyote

az_slynch wrote:Which route are you planning on taking to Globe? Getting out of Tucson on Rt. 77 (Oracle Rd.) until you get up near the Rt. 79 junction is a bit tough for anything smaller than a 125 due to the fast moving traffic in Oro Valley and the Saddlebrook area. One past, it's a fast road but the crazies turn up 79 towards Phoenix. The other concern is that there's a long 7% uphill grade up past Winkleman that might really tax your scoot and your patience.

Hey neighbor!

Yeah, I find the drivers around here pretty impatient and aggressive. You got the rout correct, but right now it is just an idea. I am a very defensive driver. And it is not worth my life getting into a fight with a car. Is there much of a shoulder on those roads?

There is a local hill in east Tucson that is pretty steep, more than 7% I think, and I am going to see how the bike does on that. I have all the time in the world and I do not might the slow crawl up hills if no on is on my a$$.

Thanks for the tips. I really like riding the back roads in Tucson, Mountain Ave is my favorite. I live up near the foot hills so I take that road if I want to get downtown.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

ravenridesacoyote wrote:
az_slynch wrote:Which route are you planning on taking to Globe? Getting out of Tucson on Rt. 77 (Oracle Rd.) until you get up near the Rt. 79 junction is a bit tough for anything smaller than a 125 due to the fast moving traffic in Oro Valley and the Saddlebrook area. One past, it's a fast road but the crazies turn up 79 towards Phoenix. The other concern is that there's a long 7% uphill grade up past Winkleman that might really tax your scoot and your patience.

Hey neighbor!

Yeah, I find the drivers around here pretty impatient and aggressive. You got the rout correct, but right now it is just an idea. I am a very defensive driver. And it is not worth my life getting into a fight with a car. Is there much of a shoulder on those roads?

There is a local hill in east Tucson that is pretty steep, more than 7% I think, and I am going to see how the bike does on that. I have all the time in the world and I do not might the slow crawl up hills if no on is on my a$$.

Thanks for the tips. I really like riding the back roads in Tucson, Mountain Ave is my favorite. I live up near the foot hills so I take that road if I want to get downtown.
Just rode up 77 today with the SIRs and a few Phoenix riders. There was a Vino 125 and it worked dang hard to get up and over El Capitan Pass; at times it was strugglung to hold 30mph. There were a few passing lanes that helped cope with traffic backing up behind the group. The view from the top was worth the climb, and a few clouds showed up to give us a rest!

Great ride, but definitely tough for small bore bikes. Anything less than a 170 is gonna get a serious workout. I'd ride up Craycroft past Sunrise and try the loop of Craycroft to Kolb. That might give a good sense of what you might encounter.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
flyingpertyhigh

Post by flyingpertyhigh »

I know this is a year old thread but had a couple questions.

First I wanted to confirm when you said "four cylinder" you meant 4 stroke, right? My second question is, is this 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

I previously had a 50cc 2 stroke rough house and de-restricted that thing was insanely fast. Kept up with 4 stroke 150s to a point. That same bike restricted couldn't get out of it's own way. Is the bike reasonably quick? What other scooter would you compare it to?

My local scooter store (boston, scooters go green) is selling the Go for $688 plus tax and fees
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

As per their website, the Go scooter has 4-stroke engine.

I understand that they top out around 35-40 MPH (with their website stating 30 MPH * (Restricted) and are relatively slow to get there.
flyingpertyhigh

Post by flyingpertyhigh »

cummingsjc wrote:As per their website, the Go scooter has 4-stroke engine.

I understand that they top out around 35-40 MPH (with their website stating 30 MPH * (Restricted) and are relatively slow to get there.
okay thanks for the reply. It's between this and a (sketchy) used rough house on craigslist for $600, which is too low therefore there's almost definitely a "story" about it.