A full 32 oz.oil change

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Camperdog

A full 32 oz.oil change

Post by Camperdog »

Changing the oil on my Hooligan is .800 liter. Or 27.05 oz.
Now I am no fan of having partial bottles left over. What simple solution is there to increasing the oil capacity to using a full quart.

Where could I put 5 oz more?

Could I splice the line to the oil cooler and add a remote filter?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I think it's always good to have a bit extra on hand for top offs if necessary.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Buy the gallon jug of r=Rotella T6 5w40 from walmart for under $20.00. Pour what you need into your 32 oz bottle. Way cheaper to buy it by the gallon. :)
Mikestib1

Rotella T6

Post by Mikestib1 »

It's full synthetic and cheap. Why is it only recommended for Diesel engines? I should know but do any 4 stroke Buddy models have catalytic converters? Probably will use the T6 once I'm out of warranty.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Look at the ratings for it. Google T6 in motorcycles and see what people say. Price keeps going up at Walmart. Darn near the best oil you can buy.

From the internet, so it has to be true. :)

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission. Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Mikestib1 wrote:It's full synthetic and cheap. Why is it only recommended for Diesel engines?
It is not recommended "only" for diesel engines. The rating means it meets the spec for performing well in a diesel engine operating at high compression and temperature. Air cooled scooter engines also operate under fairly demanding high temperature conditions. Many scooter owners have used Rotella T6 with good results.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

What is the general consensus on changing the gear oil on a Hooligan at the first oil change (600 miles or so)? I remember reading that most folks change out the gear oil around every other oil change but I don't remember if I should start the process on the initial service.
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

DeeDee wrote:Look at the ratings for it. Google T6 in motorcycles and see what people say. Price keeps going up at Walmart. Darn near the best oil you can buy.

From the internet, so it has to be true. :)

Though marketed as an engine oil for diesel trucks, Rotella oil has found popularity with motorcyclists as well. The lack of "friction modifiers" in Rotella means they do not interfere with wet clutch operations. This is called a "shared sump" design, which is unlike automobiles which maintain separate oil reservoirs - one for the engine and one for the transmission. Used oil analysis (UOA) reports on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have shown wear metals levels comparable to oils marketed as motorcycle-specific.
Motul is the best.
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.