More on cold weather: hippo hands?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Liz C

More on cold weather: hippo hands?

Post by Liz C »

BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

I have these:
http://www.scooterworks.com/Hand_Covers ... 59C204.cfm

and they are amazing! Before I got them I was wearing 2 or 3 pairs of gloves and still having cold hands, but now I can get away with a single pair of mittens. They really cut down on the wind. It is somewhat hard to maneuver the thumbs if you have thick gloves or big fingers, but I really like them. Not to mention they are only $20 compared to the Hippo hands at $60.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Years ago I made a pair of those, some motorcycle mag had the patterns. They worked great. Now I wish I still had the pattern even though it would be easy to figure it out without the pattern.
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

i was wanting to make some of these, do they have a thumb? it looks sorta like oven mitts on your handlebars. how do they attatch?
JokerJim

Post by JokerJim »

I bought a pair of the Jolly Roger hand warmers. TOTAL CRAP.

The thumb is a major pain in the arse.

They did a good job blocking wind but I had to pull over and remove them after about 5 miles.

Maybe i'll remove the thumb and give them another try next year.

Joker
Mmmmm Crab Rangoon
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

No thumb, they were "L" shaped sort of, but more of a curve insted of the 90degree turn in the "L". The end that goes over the handlebar end is smaller in diameter then the end you put your hands in. I velcroed the handle bar end as tight as I could without interfearing the cables.
Jed

Post by Jed »

I have heated grip covers that I got from www.aerostich.com. I highly recommend them.
redcass

Post by redcass »

Jed wrote:I have heated grip covers that I got from www.aerostich.com. I highly recommend them.
Is this what you mean, Jed?
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aer ... 16731.html

RedCass
BuddyLove

Post by BuddyLove »

Jim,
I think it depends on what you have on under them, how thick your gloves are or your fingers because mine work fine as long as I am not in thick gloves. They do have a thumb, But I only put my left thumb in since I just need it for the blinker. I love mine and have had them for a few months now (several rides), but being a girl i have smaller hands so they probably fit me better. Tehy do seem like giant oven mitts though.
Jed

Post by Jed »

redcass, that's the stuff. i connected them directly to the battery, but you could tap into the headlight so they shut off when the buddy is off. i can't promise the headlight wiring can handle the extra load. they attach by velcro and for extra security i used electrical tape to tighten them down to the grip even more.

ciao
itcardoc

heated gloves

Post by itcardoc »

If you ride in cold weather like down to 5 deg F up to like 40-45 deg F, I highly recommend Gerbing's heated leather gloves. They have a wire harness that goes up through your jacket and "T"s off inside down each arm to quick connect coaxial plugs coming out of the gloves. You should get the electronic thermostat also so you can vary the wattage as no more than like 1/4 to1/2 output is ever needed. They are not bulky and feel like your hands are in a bucket of luke warm water even on the coldest days. I have used them on a Stella and Blur with no charging system problems if kept somewhat turned down off of maximum. Widder also makes heated gloves, but I had terrible reliability problems with heating wiring breaking internally. -Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!
SERIES ITALIA RIDER

Post by SERIES ITALIA RIDER »

any info on where to find them?????
itcardoc

where to find them...

Post by itcardoc »

A good place to deal with that has all the Gerbing's gloves and accessories is Derby Cycles derbycycles.com .
If anything can go wrong ... it will!