Buddy 125 Carb Replacement (Wont go over 30mph)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Remous

Buddy 125 Carb Replacement (Wont go over 30mph)

Post by Remous »

My Buddy 125 won't go over 30mph. Tried cleaning the carb, seafoam, fresh gas, etc. etc. etc. I was told to just replace the carb and that should fix the issue. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or input and if this carb would work?

Thanks

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SR1QEAY?re ... 0_70668520
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

How many miles are on it? Did you pull out the diaphragm slide when you cleaned it? Hard to get that seated correectly on re-assembly. Carb is pretty much bullet proof.
Remous

Post by Remous »

530 miles. I bought it in June and prior to that it's just been sitting in the previous owners garage without being run. When I scooted home it ran fine but now it just bogs when I reach the 30mph mark. I called the local dealer he believes it's the electric choke.
Remous

Post by Remous »

Wow I think this fixed it!!!! After trying everything. I got top speed to 50 on it... is that about average speed on the 125? I know on my kymco 150 I got it to almost 70.... Thanks a lot for your input :D
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

A properly running Buddy 125 should have no problem hitting 60 with a 200 lb rider.

Do you know if the original break in oil has ever been changed? IMO you should drain the fuel out of the tank, replace the fuel filter and drain the fuel out of the carb bowl. Put in a gallon of fresh mid-grade with 1.5 oz of sea foam. Run the scooter, so the new gas has completely filled the carb bowl, now let it sit for 2 or 3 days.

At 500 miles, you will want fresh engine oil, gear oil, check and adjust valves, blow out the air filter and clean and check spark plug gap. I'd clean the oil screen and install a new oil filter as well. Torque the new filter to 12 ft lbs.

Now ride the living daylights out of it and enjoy.
Remous

Post by Remous »

Changed both lol and gear oil and replaced spark plug as well as cleaned the air filter. I'm going to have to take it to the dealer for the 500 mile service but I did have it to 60+ yesterday once I got onto a long stretch of road. :wink:
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Just because you pay someone $100 an hour to work on your scooter, doesn't mean they will do a better job than you can do yourself. Check the valves on your own and pat yourself on the back for saving $180.00. If it is running properly, and your hitting 60mph. Why take it to the dealer?

Plenty of detailed posts with pictures walking you through a valve adjustment.
ellablue

Post by ellablue »

Thank you! This post saved me!
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

What did you do to fix it?

Just bought a 2009 Buddy 125 with 314 miles. SAME ISSUE.

I rode it home, wouldn't get over 35 mph. From 1/2 to WOT it's a dead zone.

Today: R&R carb, blew out passages with carb cleaner, checked Vacuum fuel shut-off valve (works), new spark plug, check air filter (clean), still no luck.

Feels like it's not getting gas.

Will DL the service manual and go into the carb again.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Mike1nw wrote:What did you do to fix it?

Just bought a 2009 Buddy 125 with 314 miles. SAME ISSUE.

I rode it home, wouldn't get over 35 mph. From 1/2 to WOT it's a dead zone.

Today: R&R carb, blew out passages with carb cleaner, checked Vacuum fuel shut-off valve (works), new spark plug, check air filter (clean), still no luck.

Feels like it's not getting gas.

Will DL the service manual and go into the carb again.
Follow from above. I have seen seafoam bring life back to many scooters without having to really do mych else. I know I've done it!

Sometimes just spraying cleaner isn't enough. Often the carb needs to be taken all the way apart. I take mine apart, soak in carb dip overnight, ultrasonic, replace float, needle, gaskets...whatever. Rebuild kits are cheap.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

Between the third and fourth posts, the problem was fixed, but I don't see what he did- the third post mentions Electric choke. The fourth states, "Wow I think this fixed it!!!!" I'm just trying to figure out what "This" is. Thanks. I sure would like to see 60 on wife's Buddy 8)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Try putting a couple of ounces of seafoam with some fresh gas. Run it, let it sit overnight, run it etc. Might do the trick for ya
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Mike1nw When you worked on the carb, did you remove the diaphragm slide (black cap on top with 2 screws)? This thread is more or less about that.
Mike1nw

Post by Mike1nw »

Yes, removed the diaphragm cover and slide.
Also removed the float bowl. Sprayed carb cleaner in all passages.

I need the float spec (level) if anyone has it.

when I put the carb back, there is a small diam. hose that connects to the carb, AND LEADS TO THE OUTSIDE AIR. Is that correct?

(My Concours had 4 carbs, my Shadow had 2, so I'm a little familiar with CV carbs, but never had this problem before.)

Will check the FSM tomorrow when I can get to the library internet and printer.
:|
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The hose on the carb should be the drain line for the float bowl, so yes, goes to open air under the engine.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

This thread is all over the place. Did it go over 35 before you took the carb apart? Be sure your diaphgagm is seated. It can look good, but still be leaking air. Use plumbers grease. Put a very small amount on your thumb and work it around the top rim of the mating surface to the diaphragm. Just a fine film on your thumb, dip it numerous times. Carefully work the diaphram around the rim being sure to press it in place. Put the cap and screws back on. If the top screw heads are getting stripped, take them to Ace hardware and buy a couple of allen head screws the same size.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

DeeDee wrote:This thread is all over the place. Did it go over 35 before you took the carb apart? Be sure your diaphgagm is seated. It can look good, but still be leaking air. Use plumbers grease. Put a very small amount on your thumb and work it around the top rim of the mating surface to the diaphragm. Just a fine film on your thumb, dip it numerous times. Carefully work the diaphram around the rim being sure to press it in place. Put the cap and screws back on. If the top screw heads are getting stripped, take them to Ace hardware and buy a couple of allen head screws the same size.
This...
If you don't have plumbers grease, use any synthetic based grease or heavy oil such as silicone. You want to use something that won't damage rubber or plastic.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.

Re: Buddy 125 Carb Replacement (Wont go over 30mph)

Post by 2009125 »

I bought a 2009 Buddy that wasn’t running, I cleaned the carb and the scooter ran “great” but would only go 35. After reading about the diaphragm I pulled mine and discovered 2 tiny tears just below the seal ring. I replaced the part it was $38. After putting the new one in it started running slow again. Leaving the carb in the bike and only removing the back cap on the carb and pushed the diaphragm seal firmly in place using a tiny amount of water resistant grease. I had to to this 3 times before I got
It right (this is a super finicky seal). Now the bike rips I was able to get a 60 mph run on a flat road 190 lb rider. Hope this helps anyone else with this type
Of problem.
phillyyo

Re: Buddy 125 Carb Replacement (Wont go over 30mph)

Post by phillyyo »

Just hear to say thank you. Chases after a solution for months, rebuilt the damn carb practically replaced the fuel delivery system and in the end it turned out the brand new diaphram i installed wasn’t seated correctly even though I was convinced it was. $5 worth of silicon plumbers grease from ace and she’s rippin again.

Greatly appreciate it gents.