The spammers are taking over

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

iwannascoot

The spammers are taking over

Post by iwannascoot »

What is up with all the spam lately? GPS jammer, cell phone jammer, weight loss BS? What is next?

Billy
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

It's the broken window syndrome. That's how Rudy Giuliani cleaned up New York. Clean the graffiti and fix the window the moment you notice it. Shows that someone cares. Let This continue and pretty soon the spammers will be onto grand theft auto and arson. Pretty soon the posts for cheap running shoes and skin products will outnumber the scooter posts. I saw it on the SYM forum. It wasn't pretty.

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

It is instructive to note that the same thing is not happening on MV. The difference that I can see is that moderators are more active there. I also note that most sites use some method of email address validation these days.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I got 'em. Just PM me here on this site when you see spam. That sends me an e-mail. Usually I get those really quickly, but I've been travelling the past couple days so I got behind, but I'm back on it...
Syd

Post by Syd »

DeeDee wrote:It's the broken window syndrome. That's how Rudy Giuliani cleaned up New York. Clean the graffiti and fix the window the moment you notice it. Shows that someone cares. Let This continue and pretty soon the spammers will be onto grand theft auto and arson. Pretty soon the posts for cheap running shoes and skin products will outnumber the scooter posts. I saw it on the SYM forum. It wasn't pretty.
Surprisingly, I don't see much on symforum any more. Maybe they figured out how few people are on the forum. :D
The majority is always sane - Nessus
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

spam has destroyed the performance scooter site, damn shame
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

What's happened to Eric, Polianarchy, and the rest of the mods? Haven't seen a post from any of them in ages.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

charlie55 wrote:What's happened to Eric, Polianarchy, and the rest of the mods? Haven't seen a post from any of them in ages.
I have talked with Eric about this. For reasons I do not understand, there is some hesitancy to add more moderators to the site.