Fastest and Lightest 49cc Scooter?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Fastest and Lightest 49cc Scooter?

Post by skipper20 »

What's the fastest and lightest 49cc scooter out there, Genuine or other? I'm thinking about adding a rear rack to the back of my 12' compact camping trailer to carry a scooter so light weight is important. And, 40 - 45 mph honest top speed is a must.

Bill in Seattle
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

2 stroke version of the Aprilia RS50 and they are expensive. You can still build a fast Rough House for less money. It should be fast enough after you de-restrict it and add some bolt-on speed parts. BBK shouldn't be necessary for your target speed.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Taking the occasional passenger? That could affect your choices. I would try to hunt down a Yamaha Zuma pre-bug-1989-2001. Pre 2001 had drum brakes front and rear, 01's had a disc up front. + points=Hard to kill means reliable, crash/drop proof, STURDY stock rear rack, very light and fits 2 adults. - points=No under seat storage, will require a reduction box gear change to get the most out of it, old scooter will have old problems unless taken good care of, high demand demands higher prices, and LOCK IT ALWAYS-theft magnet. I know 2 friends that use pre-bugs for camp ground runners and they wont come of either one. Thats my 2 cents.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

If its just you then a Ruckus. + points=tons of tie down points, option for a rear rack, can enclose under the seat and pretty darn tough. - points=pretty much a 1 seater, tad bit heavier and kinda pricey-even used. Again-LOCK IT. High theft item because its in demand. I have seen Rucks go through hell and back and still run perfect and not suffer any serious damage even after being crashed or dropped. Good, solid moped. Thats my other 2 cents.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

The Ruckus is a great scooter but is a 4T and I'm not sure you'd see a true 40-45 MPH out of it. I'd also say check out both the Yamaha Zuma (older 2T models) and the Roughhouse.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

What is most important to you, light weight or speed? The Ruckus (at 194 lbs ready to ride weight) is definitely lighter than the 50c scooters.Genuine sells (198 lbs dry weight); however, it will never realistically reach the speeds that you want without additional modifications, particularly if you have another rider. Hills really kill the speed of the Ruckus, way worse than the Roughhouse or Buddy with their 2-stroke engines. You will sacrifice a bit on miles per gallon but gain quite a bit more low end power and top speed. I would buy a gently used Buddy or Roughhouse for the money.
jd

Post by jd »

If you REALLY want light weight, don't get a scooter at all. Get a moped.

A good used Tomos ST moped with an Airsal 65cc kit and Tecnigas Next pipe will hit an honest 42 MPH, and will only weigh about 110 lbs.

Tomos has stopped selling mopeds in the U.S. but they're always easy to find on Craigslist.

Forget about carrying a passenger, though.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

If you really like the Ruckus, get a Chinese Ruckus clone with the 150cc gy6 engine.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Lightest: '84-'85 Honda Spree at 87lbs.
Fastest: Seconded on the Aprilia RS50 Ditech. Few unmodified 50s can match it when the engine management's been put in "test" mode.

I'm going to consider your environmental sensibilities, overlook the two-strokes and suggest the 4T Chicago Scooter Company Go! New bike with an attractive price point ($1099 MSRP) and a 1-year parts warranty. Front disc brake, underseat storage, 172lbs dry and it's so dang cheap that you can afford to tune the CVT and derestrict the engine.

Several locals bought 'em and love 'em. Almost got one myself, but fell for the Kymco K-Pipe instead.

Option Two would be one of the 2012-on 4T Zuma 50Fs. They will reportedly do 37mph out-of-the-box and are pretty nice looking machines. A bit porky at 205lbs, but it gets silly fuel economy (132mpg!), has decent underseat storage and will carry two. You can probably find a 2012-2013 model for $1000-$1500.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

2012 and newer Yamaha Zuma 50 and 2007 through 2011 Yamaha C3.
3 valve, water cooled, fuel injected. Under 200 lbs. With slight mods can do 45mph. 4 stroke engine can last 40,000 miles with basic maintenance.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

The easy ones? The Genuine RH50, the older 2T Zuma, and the Kymco cobracross. All fast, air cooled non "exotic" machines. Any of these 3 are great, quick and almost impossible to kill.

If you like spending money, the Aprilia or Gilera 50's can't be beat. BUT, water cooled, pricey, and hard to find parts for.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

If I were in the market for a 50cc scooter, I'd look for an Italjet Dragster. Stock speed, like most restricted 50cc scooters is around 30 mph, but there are plenty of options to increase that to as high as 70 mph. The only problem is finding one, especially a newer one from around 2008-2010. Being so rare in the US, you're unlikely to pass yourself on the road. Because they are so rare, used examples command a premium price as American scooter enthusiasts mature and start to catchup with the rest of the scootering world. The 250cc version of it would be a kick in the pants to ride. There used to be an Italjet dealer in my area, but unfortunately, most Americans aren't into sports scooters so they shut down their store. Shame, as there are a lot of really good sport scooters available, just not here in the US.

https://www.google.com/search?q=italjet ... 64#imgrc=_
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

A bicycle with a 48cc 2 stroke motor weighs only 50lbs or so.
You could carry a pair of them on your bumper.
They are not as reliable as a scooter. You must regularly tighten bolts and adjust the chain and clutch. Speed is comparable to a stock, restricted 50cc scooter.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

DeeDee wrote:2012 and newer Yamaha Zuma 50 and 2007 through 2011 Yamaha C3.
3 valve, water cooled, fuel injected. Under 200 lbs. With slight mods can do 45mph. 4 stroke engine can last 40,000 miles with basic maintenance.
OK, so far that's 4 votes for the Yamaha Zuma 50 but 2 of you say the newer 4 stroke and 2 say the older 2 stroke. Why the difference?

Bill in Seattle
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have no experience with a 4 stroke 50cc Zuma. I know that they are pretty quick stock, and they are very durable, but I have never ridden one and I dont know anyone personally that has one. Same thing with the Yamaha C3 scooter. I like simple 2 strokes when it comes to 50cc scooters, thats not saying the 4 stroke versions are terrible. Yamaha and Honda sell a good number of 4 stroke 50's for a reason.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Skipper20,
I don't recall seeing your opinion in your posts as to whether you prefer a new or used scooter and how much price is a consideration in your purchase decision. There are some typical suggestions (and not so typical sugggestions) being offered up but it would help the discussion stay focused if you would clarify your priorities, brand leanings, budget, etc.

The Italijet suggestion as well as the Gilera and a few others may meet your need for speed and weight but finding one available in the used market and getting parts support will be.more difficult that going with an established brand, for instance.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I work on the newer Zumas and Yamaha C3s for a living. The 4 stroke motor means your crank bearings are sitting in a bath of oil. These engines will last for a very long time. Being fuel injected, you can mod the intake, exhaust and drastically change altitude with no need to re-jet. Yamaha parts are cheap and easy to find. The newer Zuma and C3 are fairly easy to work on. Being water cooled, means you can run them wide open for hours on end even if it is really hot outside. An aftermarket fuel pump with lifetime warranty can be had for $30.00. The C3 was discontinued in 2011. They knew they had hit a home run with the drive train, so they got rid of the 2t Zuma and shoved the C3 drive train in starting in 2012. I personally find the C3 more comfortable than the Zuma because of the single level seat and a bit more leg room.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

cummingsjc wrote:Skipper20,
I don't recall seeing your opinion in your posts as to whether you prefer a new or used scooter and how much price is a consideration in your purchase decision. There are some typical suggestions (and not so typical sugggestions) being offered up but it would help the discussion stay focused if you would clarify your priorities, brand leanings, budget, etc.

The Italijet suggestion as well as the Gilera and a few others may meet your need for speed and weight but finding one available in the used market and getting parts support will be.more difficult that going with an established brand, for instance.
I would prefer used as my price ceiling is $1500. Honda, Yamaha, Genuine and Kymco are all represented by dealers in the greater Seattle area so parts and service availability should not be a problem. I do like EFI so the Yamaha C3 is appealing as is the newer Yamaha Zuma 4T but the latter might be out of my price range. I've thought about a Honda Ruckus but it's just not my style. And, I don't like the theft potential.

My first serious scooter was a Yamaha Vino 125 purchased new in 2007. I sold it to one of my sons 1 1/2 years later. I'm starting to lean in that direction as I don't think it weighed much more than the 49cc scoots already discussed. And cruising easily at 50 mph would be a plus. But a Vino 125? Why not a Buddy 125? Lots of them out there and with cooler weather coming on, prices will be dropping!

The search goes on.

Bill in Seattle
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Save some super bucks and get a Honda 80 Elite. Bullet proof motor, simple-but effective-drum brakes, interesting frunk native storage, sturdy rear rack (tie down point), seating for two and pretty crash/drop proof. That was my first serious scooter, and it never let me down. Always lock your scoot, but its theft potential is not high at all. Plus, they can be had for cheap.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

skipper20 wrote:

I would prefer used as my price ceiling is $1500. Honda, Yamaha, Genuine and Kymco are all represented by dealers in the greater Seattle area so parts and service availability should not be a problem. I do like EFI so the Yamaha C3 is appealing as is the newer Yamaha Zuma 4T but the latter might be out of my price range. I've thought about a Honda Ruckus but it's just not my style. And, I don't like the theft potential.

My first serious scooter was a Yamaha Vino 125 purchased new in 2007. I sold it to one of my sons 1 1/2 years later. I'm starting to lean in that direction as I don't think it weighed much more than the 49cc scoots already discussed. And cruising easily at 50 mph would be a plus. But a Vino 125? Why not a Buddy 125? Lots of them out there and with cooler weather coming on, prices will be dropping!

The search goes on.

Bill in Seattle
Genuine's website says the Buddy 125 has a dry weight of 220. If the 20-30 extra pounds don't scare you off the performance boost might be a great trade-off from a 50cc. Obviously, Buddy 125 scooters seem to be well liked on this forum and have a reputation for durability, reliability, and "mod-ability". Additionally, muscle memory while riding it would be the same as the Buddy 170i listed in your user profile. Do you still have the Buddy 170i? Is the Buddy 170i too heavy for your purposes?
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

cummingsjc wrote:
skipper20 wrote:

The search goes on.

Bill in Seattle
Genuine's website says the Buddy 125 has a dry weight of 220. If the 20-30 extra pounds don't scare you off the performance boost might be a great trade-off from a 50cc. Obviously, Buddy 125 scooters seem to be well liked on this forum and have a reputation for durability, reliability, and "mod-ability". Additionally, muscle memory while riding it would be the same as the Buddy 170i listed in your user profile. Do you still have the Buddy 170i? Is the Buddy 170i too heavy for your purposes?
Actually, the Buddy 170i morphed into a Hooligan 170i and, yes, it's too heavy for me to get it safely up and onto my trailer's rear rack hence the search for something closer to 200 lbs. The speed limits in and around my favorite WA coast RV campground are 40 - 45 with no hills so I'm back to something like the Yamaha Zuma 50F 4T scoot.

Bill in Seattle

Bill in Seattle
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

skipper20 wrote:
cummingsjc wrote:
skipper20 wrote: I would prefer used as my price ceiling is $1500. Honda, Yamaha, Genuine and Kymco are all represented by dealers in the greater Seattle area so parts and service availability should not be a problem. I do like EFI so the Yamaha C3 is appealing as is the newer Yamaha Zuma 4T but the latter might be out of my price range. I've thought about a Honda Ruckus but it's just not my style. And, I don't like the theft potential.

The search goes on.

Bill in Seattle
Actually, the Buddy 170i morphed into a Hooligan 170i and, yes, it's too heavy for me to get it safely up and onto my trailer's rear rack hence the search for something closer to 200 lbs. The speed limits in and around my favorite WA coast RV campground are 40 - 45 with no hills so I'm back to something like the Yamaha Zuma 50F 4T scoot.

Bill in Seattle

Bill in Seattle
I want a Buddy 170i that can morph into a Hooligan. Very cool! Would the Buddy 125 work by weight?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

sc00ter wrote:Save some super bucks and get a Honda 80 Elite. Bullet proof motor, simple-but effective-drum brakes, interesting frunk native storage, sturdy rear rack (tie down point), seating for two and pretty crash/drop proof. That was my first serious scooter, and it never let me down. Always lock your scoot, but its theft potential is not high at all. Plus, they can be had for cheap.
I like this!

I own three, so I may have a bit of a bias. :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

In my opinion the Honda Ruckus or Yamaha C3 would be easy to manage and haul around as would the Honda Met. For 2 riders then I would also recommend a Honda Elite 80. I've owned all these scooters and prefer the fat-tired ones for rough ground, FWIW.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

babblefish wrote:If I were in the market for a 50cc scooter, I'd look for an Italjet Dragster. Stock speed, like most restricted 50cc scooters is around 30 mph, but there are plenty of options to increase that to as high as 70 mph.
Yeah man, a skinny kid on one of those totally dusted me off while I was riding a Vespa GT200L in traffic. I was like, WTF? I chased him down and asked a lot of questions. It turned out that he had bought it for a song after it had been modded and left in a shed. Typical story. That thing was fast and extremely nimble. Don't have any idea where you could get parts or anything, though...
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

For playing around campgrounds- the fat tire 50's would be ideal. Rh50/early zuma/kymco Cobra cross (all pretty much the same scooter). They will hit honest speeds in the 40's. I'm not saying who, but I've seen them take a beating and keep running just fine.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

As an academic exercise, the discussion about fast and light 50cc scooters has been fascinating. However, in case you didn't catch it in this or one of the other sub-forums back when it happened, the OP purchased a Roughhouse Sport 50cc back in November 2016.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

cummingsjc wrote:However, in case you didn't catch it in this or one of the other sub-forums back when it happened, the OP purchased a Roughhouse Sport 50cc back in November 2016.
In fairness to those who posted on this thread in the meantime, it would have been difficult to know as the OP did not share that decision here.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Won't a Buddy 50 hold 40+mph?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Dooglas wrote:
cummingsjc wrote:However, in case you didn't catch it in this or one of the other sub-forums back when it happened, the OP purchased a Roughhouse Sport 50cc back in November 2016.
In fairness to those who posted on this thread in the meantime, it would have been difficult to know as the OP did not share that decision here.
True, but the thread had fizzled out in Sept 2016 before being resurrected. I was just letting the latest posters know that trying to provide feedback to the OP was kind of a moot point by now. I just didn't want anyone to think this was a current thread with the OP still wanting info. As I stated, as an academic exercise or for future inquiries, it might be useful.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Syd wrote:Won't a Buddy 50 hold 40+mph?

Yes, a derestricted Buddy 50 should be able to hold 40+ MPH on level ground.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I'm glad that the thread has soldiered on. Small bore scooters are a lot of fun to wrench on and ride. They're very simple, educational and economical. I own more 50s than any other displacement for those very reasons.

Little scoots deserve more play. :wink:

cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

az_slynch wrote:I'm glad that the thread has soldiered on. Small bore scooters are a lot of fun to wrench on and ride. They're very simple, educational and economical. I own more 50s than any other displacement for those very reasons.

Little scoots deserve more play. :wink:
I.have a pair of Piaggio MP3's and really like them a lot. I also have a Buddy 50 and Black Cat 50 and they are great little bikes. When I was trying to buy the Black Cat off a used bike dealer/repair shop in New Orleans, he was reluctant to sell it to me since he said I would be disappointed after the performance of the MP3. It is definitely different, but super fun nonetheless. Actually, they are way more fun than they should be, in the right circumstances.