Color Schemes For 2008-2009 Buddys

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

yodaismycopilot

Color Schemes For 2008-2009 Buddys

Post by yodaismycopilot »

I am considering a used 2008 150 St. Tropez as a first bike. This one has a tan seat and hand grips (seat color like the Paloma has). Is it safe to assume that these are not stock originals, since all the photos I have seen show a dark blue seat? Or, is it possible that some models rolled off the assembly line with different seat colors? Also, maybe it's just the lighting in various photos, but sometimes the body and middle covers look gray to me and sometimes blue. Thanks for any insights.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

The St Tropez was/is a two tone blue with the 'lighter' color leaning a little toward a greyish and a blue seat from the factory. Lighting in the pics you've seen could account for the differences in color perception. The seat is easily swapped out via removing two nuts thus a previous owner may have changed that and the hand grips for whatever reason.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

The only real reason that I can see for changing out both the seat and handgrips would be due to damage to both, perhaps in a drop. It is relatively common to see damage to the grips when the bike goes down and not unknown to see a bit of seat damage also. Or it might have been a choice made solely for personal preference. At the very least, I would definitely inquire about the vehicle history with the seller and look for any other damage to the body panels.

Also, I would definitely take the bike for a ride before purchasing it paying particular attention to the alignment or take it to a scooter shop for a check.
yodaismycopilot

Post by yodaismycopilot »

Thanks KABarash and cummingsjc for the replies.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Sometimes the lighter-colored seats and grips can get moldy/mildewy spots on them that are MUCH more noticeable than on the standard black ones. That could also be a reason that they changed them out.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I changed them out on my italia because I wanted black grips. The seat wore out about 15k so I had another purchased from a member here added.

Those are the least likely to be damaged in a small spill.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

skully93 wrote:I changed them out on my italia because I wanted black grips. The seat wore out about 15k so I had another purchased from a member here added.

Those are the least likely to be damaged in a small spill.
We used to see damaged handgrips on scooters all the time when I worked at FX Motorsports in New Orleans. And ripped seats...