Buddy 170i questions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

WPhillyScoot

Buddy 170i questions

Post by WPhillyScoot »

I'm just about to purchase a 170i, never had a scooter before, have a couple of questions (don't laugh):
Is there a Neutral setting, as there is in a manual transmission?
Do the brakes function normally when the engine is off?
Do the mirror stems (that long metal piece that the mirror is on the end of) fold or telescope down?
How hard would it be to roll the scooter down about 5 steps into my basement (with a board set down on the steps of course)? I'm female, average size, average fitness. This is why I'm wondering about Neutral, and the brakes, and folding down the mirrors.

Thanks!
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

There's no neutral gear on an automatic scooter. It will roll easily whether the ignition is on or off. Yes, the brakes function normally when the bike is off. You can't just fold in this type of mirror. In order to fold the mirrors in, you'd have to loosen up the lock nut and then turn them in. It's do-able to roll it in yourself, but I'd ask a friend to help you out in case it gets away from you.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
Syd

Post by Syd »

There is no neutral, but the drive disengages at low speed, which acts like neutral.
Brakes always work.
Mirror stems are solid, but can be removed or readjusted
It would be easy to start the scoot down the steps on a ramp. It just wouldn't be easy to stop it! By yourself isn't a good idea.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
cummingsjc

Re: Buddy 170i questions

Post by cummingsjc »

WPhillyScoot wrote:I'm just about to purchase a 170i, never had a scooter before, have a couple of questions (don't laugh):
Is there a Neutral setting, as there is in a manual transmission?
Do the brakes function normally when the engine is off?
Do the mirror stems (that long metal piece that the mirror is on the end of) fold or telescope down?
How hard would it be to roll the scooter down about 5 steps into my basement (with a board set down on the steps of course)? I'm female, average size, average fitness. This is why I'm wondering about Neutral, and the brakes, and folding down the mirrors.

Thanks!
It appears that your questions have been answered. I echo the comments about being careful about getting the scooter up and down the basement stairs by yourself (male or female, it sounds like a recipe for a damaged scooter and personal injuries).

There are other, shorter third-party mirrors available if the stock Buddy mirrors stick out too far. Just make sure that they have reversed threads on the right side mirror.

The Buddy series are great scooters for the money. You won't be disappointed in the 170. Your questions indicate your inexperience, so make sure to check your local licensing laws for scooters and I highly recommend that you take an MSF Basic Rider Course, if you haven't already. Also, find some local scooterists and ride with them for the fun social aspects of group riding and the benefits of their knowledge.

Enjoy your new scooter!
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Forget about lugging the scooter up and down stairs everyday. It's just impractical. Would you be willing to lock it outside and put a motorcycle cover on it?
WPhillyScoot

Post by WPhillyScoot »

Thanks for your comments!
Nope, I'm not planning to put it in the basement at all if I can help it. But until I can get garage space nailed down I need to keep it safe so I'm investigating all options. I do have help on site to get it up and down the steps if I do go that route.
Yes, just finished the BRC this past weekend.
Thanks again everyone.
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Ask a friend if you can keep it in their backyard with a motorcycle cover over it
jd

Post by jd »

Forget taking it up and down the stairs. Too heavy and unwieldy, and too much potential for damage to it and to you.

Get a cover for it and lock it up good. There's no way to completely eliminate the possibility of theft, but there are things you can do to make it very difficult.

First, you need one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046 ... MEPKXRD389

Then you need a strong, obnoxiously heavy chain that can't be cut except with really big bolt cutters, and attach it to something solid.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I rent a 5 x 10 storage unit for winter storage. I cover it and run a battery tender through the overhead light fixture. Nice and cozy. 40 bucks a month.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Whimscootie wrote:I rent a 5 x 10 storage unit for winter storage. I cover it and run a battery tender through the overhead light fixture. Nice and cozy. 40 bucks a month.
or just take the battery home and charge it there :)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Whimscootie wrote:I rent a 5 x 10 storage unit for winter storage. I cover it and run a battery tender through the overhead light fixture. Nice and cozy. 40 bucks a month.
A space that size around here would be about $500 a month... :(
...and have two families living in it. :roll:
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jd

Post by jd »

babblefish wrote:
A space that size around here would be about $500 a month... :(
...and have two families living in it. :roll:
LMAO!
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

I'm assuming you're getting it from Philly Scooters on Passyunk? Most of philly isn't sooooo awful that you can't sidewalk/outdoor park if you get a good lock. We keep our Kick out front chained to a Kryptonite ground anchor. Between that and proper lock placement, you would literally need a plasma torch, tow truck, dynamite, etc. to haul it off. Also we cover it with a cover every night, looks like some derelict BBQ