Thoughts on wheel diameter/ small vs large, differences?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasong222

Thoughts on wheel diameter/ small vs large, differences?

Post by jasong222 »

Hey all-

I have a Buddy 50. Recently got my license, so I've been thinking about getting something larger; I wouldn't mind it a hair faster and more able to take a 2nd person.

And so, as I've been thinking about a larger Buddy vs. some other scooter, one thing came to mind- the wheel size. I took the MSF motorcycle course, and their loaner scooter had a larger wheel (Kymco). On some turns it felt really weird, it had this pull to it that took some getting used to. That's neither here nor there, I guess. After a couple minutes riding it was fine.

So, the question- What are some of the practical differences to having smaller wheels vs. larger wheels on a scooter?

I ride mostly commute/around the city (Brooklyn, NYC), but wouldn't mind going out of the city cruising once in a while.

And also- Bridge grates. Does the wheel size affect how freakishly unsafe those things feel with the Buddy's small wheels?

Thoughts?
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

See if you can find a SYM HD200 or Kymco People 150 to take a ride on. They have a completely different feel than the buddy. Both have 16" tires. The buddy 125 is a hell of a scooter. It can do 60, is sutable for two-up riding in the city. They are a blast to ride, last forever and are fairly easy to work on. I've owned a couple of 16" wheeled scooter, but prefer the buddy. They were clunky and not nearly as nimble as the Buddy.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

If you are anywhere near a Genuine dealer, see if they will let you take a test ride on a Hooligan. It runs on 12" wheels in front and rear and has a longer wheelbase than the Buddy series scooters. These differences give it a more stable / smooth ride with the trade off of a little bit of the "flick-ability" of the Buddy and some MPG loss. It would be better suited for longer, higher-speed riding than the Buddy 50 and two-up riding would also be easier.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Larger wheels aren't always a provider of more stability in handling at high speed, but they sure lend to it.
Also take into account a lower center of gravity, which scooters with gas tanks in the floor board seem to display more than those with gas tanks under the seat. This is a generalization, however, because other things in the frame geometry can affect center of gravity too.
I've ridden a Hooligan and it feels very stable. It has larger wheels, a longer wheelbase, and fuel tank in the floorboard. All three.
I had a Honda Elite 110 with smaller wheels, tank in the floor board, average wheelbase, and thing was solid at top speed of 53mph.
It's a personal thing as to which you prefer and there is a wide variation between even scoots with large and small wheels.
Best to always test ride if you can. See how you like the feel and handling of the scooter.
For some, "nimble" and "agile" is fun. Others prefer rock solid steadiness at high speed. Smaller wheels tend also to lend to more maneuverability at low speed. Try some out and see what you like.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

DeeDee wrote:See if you can find a SYM HD200 or Kymco People 150 to take a ride on. They have a completely different feel than the buddy. Both have 16" tires. The buddy 125 is a hell of a scooter. It can do 60, is sutable for two-up riding in the city. They are a blast to ride, last forever and are fairly easy to work on. I've owned a couple of 16" wheeled scooter, but prefer the buddy. They were clunky and not nearly as nimble as the Buddy.
I took the MSF road test waiver course and their loaner scoot was a Kymco 150. I got a sense of the difference but wasn't really able to 'take it for a ride'. It seemed a little more motorcycle-y.

Can the Buddy 125 (or 170i) handle 2 outside the city? ie at highway speeds? (Out of the city highway, not necessarily 4-lane urban highway)
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

cummingsjc wrote:If you are anywhere near a Genuine dealer, see if they will let you take a test ride on a Hooligan. It runs on 12" wheels in front and rear and has a longer wheelbase than the Buddy series scooters. These differences give it a more stable / smooth ride with the trade off of a little bit of the "flick-ability" of the Buddy and some MPG loss. It would be better suited for longer, higher-speed riding than the Buddy 50 and two-up riding would also be easier.
I'll check that out, thanks!
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

Whimscootie wrote:Larger wheels aren't always a provider of more stability in handling at high speed, but they sure lend to it.
Also take into account a lower center of gravity, which scooters with gas tanks in the floor board seem to display more than those with gas tanks under the seat. This is a generalization, however, because other things in the frame geometry can affect center of gravity too.
I've ridden a Hooligan and it feels very stable. It has larger wheels, a longer wheelbase, and fuel tank in the floorboard. All three.
I had a Honda Elite 110 with smaller wheels, tank in the floor board, average wheelbase, and thing was solid at top speed of 53mph.
It's a personal thing as to which you prefer and there is a wide variation between even scoots with large and small wheels.
Best to always test ride if you can. See how you like the feel and handling of the scooter.
For some, "nimble" and "agile" is fun. Others prefer rock solid steadiness at high speed. Smaller wheels tend also to lend to more maneuverability at low speed. Try some out and see what you like.
Thanks, various comments here and on Reddit have me more seriously considering the larger wheels. I guess I need an all-rounder; since I put 900 miles just cruising around Brooklyn this summer, no reason to think I won't do it again once I can get out of the city....
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
jasong222

What about steeled grates on bridges?

Post by jasong222 »

Anyone have any comments on that specifically vis the wheel size?

On the Buddy 50 bridges like that were a nightmare. I got through it, but it was not not an ordeal.....(It was an ordeal, lol...)
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

If those types of bridged disturb you on 10 inches they will disturb you on any size.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jasong222

Post by jasong222 »

BuddyRaton wrote:If those types of bridged disturb you on 10 inches they will disturb you on any size.
Lol... yes, I suppose so. But will they disturb me by an equal amount?

:)
NYC/Brooklyn ITH
2015 Buddy 50
And so on.....
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

jasong222 wrote:Can the Buddy 125 (or 170i) handle 2 outside the city? ie at highway speeds? (Out of the city highway, not necessarily 4-lane urban highway)
I ride a Buddy 150 in and around Harrisburg/Lancaster/York Pa area, in nearly 25000 miles I've not had much of a problem if any on the two lane country roads and 'highways'. I dare not even think of getting on any of the limited access 4 lane highways more than the one 1/2 mile length I've two or three times 'tried' where once whilst I was keeping with traffic some idiot passed me on the shoulder of the road.
Having grown up on Long Island, though I left the area in 1980 when life was a bit 'slower' there, I'm still familiar with the area. I would say the major highways though I'd think you could 'keep up' would be a 'no go'. Think hard about it, your Parkways around the area that do not allow trucks would ease things a bit. South Conduit Ave or the Belt Parkway out to the Island may be do-able, Sunrise Highway is (at least used to be) not a limited access highway would at least be worth a try, though that limits you to where out of the City you go.
I several years ago rode from here to Valley Stream, where I grew up, it was quite the adventure. Lincoln Tunnel then across the lower end of Manhattan Island and the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel was 'scary' to say the least, and I've been riding off and on for 40 years.

As for wheel size, all the Buddys whether they be 50, 125, 150, or 170 have the same size wheel. The vehicles are identical except for the engine, tire size may slightly different though.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Hooligan, Honda PCX 150, or Yamaha S Max would be my minimum recommendation.

Bigger than those would be a Yamaha T Max, Majesty, Honda Silver Wing, or Suzuki Burgman 200, 400, or 650.

For the diverse riding you describe you need power, pick-up, and as much visibility as you can get on a scooter.

Wheels size is the least concern when considering all that, IMO.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Whimscootie wrote:Hooligan, Honda PCX 150, or Yamaha S Max would be my minimum recommendation.

Bigger than those would be a Yamaha T Max, Majesty, Honda Silver Wing, or Suzuki Burgman 200, 400, or 650.

For the diverse riding you describe you need power, pick-up, and as much visibility as you can get on a scooter.

Wheels size is the least concern when considering all that, IMO.
+1. Everything is a trade off (small versus large, slow versus fast, mileage versus power, etc). Each potential rider needs to think about the most likely/usual use case and balance out their needs to their scooter.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jasong222 wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:If those types of bridged disturb you on 10 inches they will disturb you on any size.
Lol... yes, I suppose so. But will they disturb me by an equal amount?

:)
Yes
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL