Headlight on/off switch

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

honkycat

Headlight on/off switch

Post by honkycat »

I'm thinking of using the headlight on/off switch (you know, the one that doesn't do anything because the headlight must stay on all the time) to control a battery powered accessory (nothing dirty).

Does anyone know if there are disconnected wires from that switch that can be used break/complete a circuit? I thought I'd ask before I went in and started digging. I figured they might be under the cowl where the turn signal wires are, but I'm not sure.

Anyone else done anything like this?
sotied

Post by sotied »

Haven't seen any workarounds for the light switch, but you might want to check the technical spec area.

I just had my headlight burn out and there was a great tutorial there for replacing it. And to that point, the wires and harness for the headlight are really accessible once you get the speedometer assembly moved aside.

I imagine if you knew what you were doing you could track the wires back and make the low/high into an off/low/high switch.

Let me know how that works out. For me, I like having the added visibility of a light during the day. But when I'm running from the law or sneaking home late I wouldn't mind having the ability to kill the light as I roll past the guards at the asylum.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

I actually just did mine last night.

Just follow the harness connected to another harness. I removed the harness in between and connected the harnesses. ON/OFF switch works like its supposed to. The tail turns off too but will light up when brakes are used.

The harness in between is like an adapter to make the headlight and tail to stay on. When you remove the adapter, its bypasses it.

I call it stealth mode. But my exhaust is just loud.
brape

Post by brape »

I'm feeling a bit dense here but where is there a headlight on/off switch?
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I have an extra aux switch as an on off for the brights. I also have functioning running lights in the lower signals and headlight. In the daytime It's bright switch on, aux switch off = all running lights
night time I just flip the switch and BAM I have headlights. If I need brights I just flip the aux switch

toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

brape wrote:I'm feeling a bit dense here but where is there a headlight on/off switch?
On the right handle.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Holy thread-resurrection Batman! Did anyone look at the original post date?
Sun Aug 27, 2006! :)

That would explain the question too... This switch is only on the '06 model.
brape

Post by brape »

Kaos, thanks for saving me the walk out to my garage with a flashlight.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

brape wrote:Kaos, thanks for saving me the walk out to my garage with a flashlight.
Me too! I was thinking, "Wow. How could I have missed that switch in all of these months of riding?". I was going to go out and check on my next trip past the garage.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Kaos wrote:Holy thread-resurrection Batman! Did anyone look at the original post date?

Wtf? Why did he reply to a 4 year old thread? Especially on e that was dead from the start :lol:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

ScooterTrash wrote:
Kaos wrote:Holy thread-resurrection Batman! Did anyone look at the original post date?

Wtf? Why did he reply to a 4 year old thread? Especially on e that was dead from the start :lol:
because that's how sotied rolls. It's an effort to live up to his name, I think!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Now that this thread is back from the dead (zombie thread)...

Why on earth would anyone ever consider turning their headlights or tail lights or any other lights off??? For goodness sakes think safety! If anything, get brighter bulbs and leave them on all the time.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
sotied

Post by sotied »

Took a while for people to notice that it was an old thread. But I contend it's an issue I've thought about a bit. I'd like the option, maybe not while riding, but while in the basement or hanging out letting the bike warm up, to shut the light down.

I also like to flash lights to warn of speed traps. Hi to low to hi isn't as effective as on/off.

J
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Why on earth would anyone ever consider turning their headlights or tail lights or any other lights off???
Stealth Mode.

Its good when trying to be sneaky. Sneaking out, or creeping up.

I just wanted that stupid switch to be functional. I mean, the switch is there when i bought the bike but didn't do anything. Now it does.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Where I park my scooter causes my headlight to shine right into my neighbor's bedroom window along the side of their house, I feel very bad when I arrive home after dark and give their window a bright flash (it is along a quiet side of their house so that makes it even worse, IMHO). They have never said anything, but I still am very conscious of the light.

I have taken to tossing a bath towel over the light when I am starting the scooter up and it is still dark outside and then I move the scooter, open the car door and toss the towel in there to collect it later. :roll:

I can see situations that it would be nice to have the option of killing the lights, but for moving on any type of roadway, lights on and the brighter the better.

-v
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

Vic wrote:Where I park my scooter causes my headlight to shine right into my neighbor's bedroom window along the side of their house, I feel very bad when I arrive home after dark and give their window a bright flash (it is along a quiet side of their house so that makes it even worse, IMHO). They have never said anything, but I still am very conscious of the light.

I have taken to tossing a bath towel over the light when I am starting the scooter up and it is still dark outside and then I move the scooter, open the car door and toss the towel in there to collect it later. :roll:

I can see situations that it would be nice to have the option of killing the lights, but for moving on any type of roadway, lights on and the brighter the better.

-v
If your bike has the switch on the right handle, then you can do it. Its super easy. I can take a pic, or you know what thats what i'm gonna do right now.

Pics coming soon!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

toycoma98 wrote:
Vic wrote:Where I park my scooter causes my headlight to shine right into my neighbor's bedroom window along the side of their house, I feel very bad when I arrive home after dark and give their window a bright flash (it is along a quiet side of their house so that makes it even worse, IMHO). They have never said anything, but I still am very conscious of the light.

-v
If your bike has the switch on the right handle, then you can do it. Its super easy. I can take a pic, or you know what thats what i'm gonna do right now.

Pics coming soon!
On the '07-up bikes that switch is now a hazard light switch. So you could still do it, but you'd loose the hazards.
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

Didn't know about the hazard. While your at it, you can change the headlight bulb to HID look, its a H4.

My bike is a 2010 PGO-METRO 125cc. I dont know if it will work for you. Someone has to confirm which years this can be done on.

Here is the right handle.

The wire coming from right handle

Remove the Male to Female harness

Just connect the harnesses directly
toycoma98

Post by toycoma98 »

bpatrick5

Post by bpatrick5 »

I don't have a headlight on/off switch. I have a hazard switch. Bummer.

:cry: