Buddy Kick 125 vs. Stella Auto 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Buddy Kick 125 vs. Stella Auto 125

Post by skipper20 »

Same power plant but a different exterior? The reason I'm asking is that when the Stella Auto 125 came on the scene, it was reported to have some mechanical issues. I don't remember exactly what they were. But if they were significant and it's the same power plant I'm curious to see if any of you Kick 125 owners have had problems. I'm considering trading in my 325 lb. '08 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie maxi scooter on something smaller and lighter such as a Kick 125. I like the retro look and I like staying within the Genuine family.

Bill in Seattle
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

The Stella Auto 125 engine is a GY6 derivative, but it is a markedly different implementation. The rear wheel/brake section is specific for the Stella and I believe the transmission's output shaft is too.

The engine is mounted in the chassis at a much steeper angle that most GY6-powered bikes, with the cylinder pointing almost straight up at the bottom of the seat. It appears that LML modified engine block and the oiling system to accomodate the inclination of the motor. See the attached image; you can see the bulge in the block below the belt case and the oil filter housing.
Attachments
LML Star Auto engine.
LML Star Auto engine.
431590_529746953708616_678399049_n.jpg (44.88 KiB) Viewed 580 times
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

No, not the same power plant. The Stella engine and body are built by LML in India. The Kick engine and body are built by PGO in Taiwan. PGO has an excellent reputation for well built products, performance, and reliability. LML, not so much. As for Genuine - remember, they don't build anything. They import products from overseas sources.
Last edited by Dooglas on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

Two completely different manufacturers. And yeah, don't buy a Stella Auto.

You do bring up a good point that most people assume that Genuine is the manufacturer and since the Stellas are junk, the rest must be also. I personally know of two people who bought Stella Autos, accepted their losses and dropped the cash for a Vespa. One was a previous Buddy owner but she was so angry at Genuine that she wouldn't buy another. I'm sure Genuine realizes their mistakes now, but a lot of damage to the brand has already been done.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Everything that I have read so far about the Buddy Kick has been quite positive. It seems to be a nimble, light-weight scooter with good power output. I doubt there are any reliability issues with the engine as I would bet this design has been around in Asia for much longer than it has been here in the States. Also, there is always the 2-year warranty from Genuine to help if things go wrong.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I did a test ride on the kick at my local dealer. I liked it. Peppy even with 15 miles on it. Suspension and braking were great on our crap roads.

I wouldn't budge on the stellauto. Even the dealer is not having a good time with them.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Go with the Kick. Took mine out today in the 40 degree weather, fired up instantly, and it's nimble enough to mix it up in Philly city traffic (had to take Girard over to West Philly by the zoo, pretty fast road but you hit nearly every light). Lowest mileage has been 56 mpg, highest was upper 80's
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

You will get a kick out of the Kick, you'll want to KICK the Stell-auto! I love the looks of the Stella, but I would only consider a 2t shifty, and even they have gremlins compared to a Buddy/Kick 125. I hate wrenching on stuff.