See the wheel. Be the wheel.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tocsik

See the wheel. Be the wheel.

Post by Tocsik »

Wicked cool unimotorcycles. Monocycles?
A pic from 1931 and a couple links to modern videos.
Looks like a blast to ride even with no suspension and your butt inches from the ground!

https://youtu.be/gdq4wer7vgk
https://youtu.be/fVKeJ1vGNfo
Attachments
motorcycle unicycle.jpg
motorcycle unicycle.jpg (37.86 KiB) Viewed 926 times
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Yeah, people have been building these for awhile. I occasionally see them at Maker Faire. Pretty rough ride I would imagine.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Nah, with a sprung tractor seat it'd be doable.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Never seen one in person, but that is so strange and unique! I thought you were posting about that uni-wheel gyro balanced thing that Honda developed. Looks like a 1 wheel hover board. Hover boards are stupid, uni-motorcycles are awesome!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

At first, I thought it was one of these two unicycles:
Attachments
Ryno-Electric-Unicycle-1.jpg
Ryno-Electric-Unicycle-1.jpg (56.09 KiB) Viewed 862 times
uniwheel.jpg
uniwheel.jpg (55.18 KiB) Viewed 862 times
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I saw a video as part of a freestyle/flatland bicycle thread discussion and people were going down a hill on what was basically a bicycle wheel with pegs on it. And they were going super fast! Wish I could find the video again and learn how to post it. Also, look up unicycle (pedal style) stunt/street video. I still hate unicycles, they are the ENEMY!
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I used to ride unicycles when I was a kid.

Interestingly, I came across one in Moab during a mountain biking trip at a shop. I mentioned to a couple friends I used to ride them. They called me out and said I couldn't. The shop guy said go ahead. Believe it or not, after 40 years of not being on one, I could still ride it!

So it's just like a bicycle. Once you know how, you never forget.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

k1dude wrote:I used to ride unicycles when I was a kid.

Interestingly, I came across one in Moab during a mountain biking trip at a shop. I mentioned to a couple friends I used to ride them. They called me out and said I couldn't. The shop guy said go ahead. Believe it or not, after 40 years of not being on one, I could still ride it!

So it's just like a bicycle. Once you know how, you never forget.
Same here, I used to ride a unicycle as a kid too. Haven't been on one in what, four decades?! I think if I were to try and get on one now, I'd wear my motorcycle helmet...and jacket...and boots...and gloves. Ya never know...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

k1 and babble, you got mad skills! I can ride flatland/freestyle ok on a bicycle, and I can ride the poo out of a swing bike (like a Swing King bicycle) but could never master a unicycle. A co-worker can ride a unicycle AND juggle at the same time! Next time I see one at a thrift store (told to learn on a 16" or 20" first) I might try it again-just like babble in full gear!