Buddy Kick vs Lance Cabo 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

What should I get?

Lance Cabo 125
No votes
Buddy Kick
100%

Total votes: 10

scooterq

Buddy Kick vs Lance Cabo 125

Post by scooterq »

Hi all,

After a few problems, I am upgrading from a Venture 50cc to something a bit more, shall I say, stable.

I am looking to get a new scooter and am between the Lance Cabo 125 ($2500 OTD with no trade in aforementioned Venture 50cc) or the Buddy Kick ($3100 OTD with trade in of 50cc). I am wondering if anybody on this thread has experience with either of these scooters. Admittedly, I am a bit more wary of the Lance Cabo due to lack of reviews. Meanwhile, the Buddy Kick seems to be a bit more durable and will retain its value due to the brand, but I am obviously hesitant on the price. For context: I am 6'0, 185 lbs, and will use the scooter in the city to commute to and from work in addition to moseying around on the weekend. My questions:

1. Does the Buddy Kick justify the price?
2. Is the Buddy Kick temperamental and take Chicago's changing weather? Same for the Cabo?
3. Is the Buddy Kick fun and enjoyable? Same with the Cabo.

Any insight into these scooters would be greatly appreciated.
skipper20

Re: Buddy Kick vs Lance Cabo 125

Post by skipper20 »

scooterq wrote:Hi all,

After a few problems, I am upgrading from a Venture 50cc to something a bit more, shall I say, stable.

I am looking to get a new scooter and am between the Lance Cabo 125 ($2500 OTD with no trade in aforementioned Venture 50cc) or the Buddy Kick ($3100 OTD with trade in of 50cc). I am wondering if anybody on this thread has experience with either of these scooters. Admittedly, I am a bit more wary of the Lance Cabo due to lack of reviews. Meanwhile, the Buddy Kick seems to be a bit more durable and will retain its value due to the brand, but I am obviously hesitant on the price. For context: I am 6'0, 185 lbs, and will use the scooter in the city to commute to and from work in addition to moseying around on the weekend. My questions:

1. Does the Buddy Kick justify the price?
2. Is the Buddy Kick temperamental and take Chicago's changing weather? Same for the Cabo?
3. Is the Buddy Kick fun and enjoyable? Same with the Cabo.

Any insight into these scooters would be greatly appreciated.
I'd suggest you add a 3rd scooter to your search evaluation: the Kymco Compagno 110i.

(1) It has fuel injection. The Cabo does not.
(2) Its 112 cc engine produces 9.6 hp. 1.4 hp less than the Kick but 1.2 hp more than the Cabo.
(3) It weighs in at 198 lbs. lighter than both the Cabo at 218 lbs. and the Kick at 235 lbs.
(4) With this superior hp to weight ratio, it should be capable of outperforming both the Cabo and the Kick.
(5) Plus I like that cool retro look which the Kick has but the Cabo doesn't.

So, if you have a Kymco dealer in your area and they have a Compagno in stock, check it out and let us know what you think. Thanks!

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Have you looked at the regular Buddy 125? It's cheaper than the Kick and better quality than the Cabo.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Used Buddy 170i's and 150cc International's are pretty reasonably priced...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Sounds like the OP needs to update his original survey with more scooters! ;-)
scooterq

Post by scooterq »

Ah, yes, I had already checked out the regular Buddy 125cc and I felt a bit too big for it. Furthermore, usually take on a passenger and it would definitely be cramped. I will check out the Kymco as well and another contender now is the Cabo 200i, which is fuel injected and a bit faster.

Gut keeps leading me to the Kick because of brand and the dealer takes venture scooter off my hand (needs some work/would be pain to sell), but if somebody could conclusively say it is a great scooter worth the pricetag and they haven't had a problem, i would be hooked.

I ideally want a scooter that is reliable when I take it to work each day, and fun when mosey around the city on it over the weekend in a tasteful Hawaiian shirt.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My friend picked up a new 2017 Lance Cabo 200i for less than $2300 OTD with tag paperwork included. The dealer normally does not carry anything above 50cc, so he was glad to push it out the door. So far its been a great scooter. EFI is smooth and it has good pick-up for a 160cc (thats what it really is for displacement). We have local brick and mortar support for both brands, so for him it was down to price and style. Also, both are good quality brands backed by the same warranty.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The Lance is made by SYM. Quality scooter, well built, but poor dealer network. Parts might be hard to come by. I think the Buddy 125 is about the best 55 mph scooter you can buy in terms of quality and design. I'd pick the Kick over the Kymco or the Lance in terms of dealer support and build quality. It all comes down to what you like once you're done with test rides, and where you can get the best bang for your buck.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

DeeDee has a point. The Lance side of things have good dealer support, at least with my friends Cabo 200i. SYM side is a whole different issue. I have owned 2 Buddy 125's, so me buying the same brand twice says a lot. Basically it comes down to what style you like, what fits you best and overall price point. You are looking at quality brands, so that says you care about long term ownership.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Isn't the kick smaller than the buddy?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

If you are the person who messaged me on Reddit, than you know my thoughts ;)

Out of all those choices, I liked the Buddy Kick the most.A used Buddy 170 might be a good option as well.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

Kind of late to the party, I know, but regarding weather: My kick was fine all winter, the only time it was hesitant to start was when I started it several times in rapid succession without time to recharge the battery.

(started, it stalled at a light, started again, rode a half mile to the wrong dry cleaner, stopped, started, drove to the CORRECT dry cleaner, stopped, then it hesitated to start but eventually kicked over)

And now I know better. I would still like it if there were a kickstart option or aftermarket modification.
Always ready to ride in the Philly area, hit me up.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I'm 6' and the buddy kick is too little. The tank under the floor kills the legroom. The handlebars are into my knees. The cabo is not as well made. Its a cheaper scooter for a reason. The buddy scoots are simple and well made. The kick is more complicated than the buddy 125. The buddy 125 has a gravity fed fuel tank and is carbureted. The kick has more power.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Hittin' beehives here! The Honda PCX has a low seat height and is top quality. You can pick up a used 1st gen. for a great price. Problem solved.