Dual horns?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GregsBuddy

Dual horns?

Post by GregsBuddy »

I purchased three new horns from S'works that are the $34.00, ~140dB units. They are to arrive today and I look forward to installing one on my daughter's new/used Buddy 125.
It appears that there's enough room for two horns under the "hood", if the new one is about the same size as the OEM horn. I'm going to install the louder one in parallel with the OEM horn and check the sound. I don't see any issue with doing this unless the current draw is too high for the fuse.
If it works out, I'll install one on my Buddy 170i as well and then on the BV350 with its very pitiful horn. The OEM BV horn is way too quiet.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
coolrays

Post by coolrays »

Cool idea. Please post photos!
alexpa

Post by alexpa »

I have dual horns in my BV. I installed a Stebel Nautilus with a relay. The control coil is in parallel to the stock horn and has an inline switch (located in the glove box). I find the nautilus incredibly loud -- it's great for overpowering highway noise and being heard BUT it's too loud sometimes. If I'm in the neighborhoods or at a rally and want a friendly honk, I can disable the nautilus with the glovebox switch. The stock horn always beeps regardless of switch selection.

I also have a Buddy 170.. I was unable to fit a Nautilus in the knee guard as there's really not much room up there. I think if you remove the stock horn OR mount the horn lowish (near the dead lights) you might be able to fit a better horn. The Buddy horn is also quite pathetic
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

alexpa wrote:
I also have a Buddy 170.. I was unable to fit a Nautilus in the knee guard as there's really not much room up there. I think if you remove the stock horn OR mount the horn lowish (near the dead lights) you might be able to fit a better horn. The Buddy horn is also quite pathetic
My Buddy 150 came from the factory with the Nautilus, I'll try to get in there and post a picture or two how it was fit.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You'll want to run a dedicated fused line to your battery with a relay for those horns. Should sound like a freight train when you're done.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The new horn arrived. I'll use a longer bolt on the OEM horn with extended threads, a spacer and nut, to mount the new horn with OEM bolt.
I'm planning to using clip-on wire connectors that cut into the insulation of the "donor" wire and provide power to the receiving load (the horn). I'm going to try it without additional current capacity and see if it blows the fuse.
alexpa

Post by alexpa »

GregsBuddy wrote:I'm going to try it without additional current capacity and see if it blows the fuse.
I second that you should use a dedicated battery wire. Even if it doesnt blow the fuse, I think it wouldn't be as loud as that horn could be
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'd also be concerned with the horn button electrical contacts burning up due to the additional amp load. They will be arcing every time the horn is used. If the arcing is bad enough, the contacts can weld themselves together thereby keeping the horn going even if the button is released.
Hence the reason for using a relay. The horn button contacts will only see the current load from the relay coil, which is very small. The contacts in the relay, which are heavier duty to handle higher current loads, then pass the power to the horn(s).
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
keltick

Post by keltick »

I have the old style screaming banshee horn system with a Nautilus compact mini air horn and it has served me well. Looking at their site they have a new integrated system with a smaller (and they claim louder) horn to replace the factory and nautilus. I might give it a try.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Thanks for the interest and ideas.
I'm get it installed and see how it works. The extra current may turn out to be an issue. Of course if the horn is used a lot, YMMV. My daughter lives in Oakland and she will not be slow to use the horns!
Snap

Post by Snap »

A relay may be in order.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

They are working great on both Buddies.
It may shorten the life of the contacts in the button but not likely.
I understand relay arcing and current carrying capacity of conductors. Unless one of us lays on the horn for a very long time, no damage will occur. If the horn is on long enough, the conductor MIGHT get warm, but not likely.
Yes, if the conductor is too small, each horn may not be as loud is it could be with full current. Humans have a very hard time sensing volume at high DB ranges and not likely to notice a difference.
YMMV, of course!