Cross Country Route

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Yalzin

Cross Country Route

Post by Yalzin »

Hello everyone!

I'm just about ready to leave the Midwest, for greener pastures on the West Coast. While I am waiting for a job offer (checking references and background check seems to take forever, at least from this side of things!), I've been day dreaming of how I will get from Bloomington, IN to SF on my Stella.

Naturally, there will be no interstates. I've looked at a few potential routes, but I was curious if anyone had any ideas, experience, etc. of the way I should go?

I'm still "studying" the Cannonball routes as well :)

Thanks much!
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Yalzin,
I would consider US-6 to be the ultimate cross- country adventure. The vast majority of it is Stella- friendly and it passes through a lot of America that the interstates bypassed.

Best,
-Slashy
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work will you be doing here?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Clydeo

Cross country

Post by Clydeo »

GoSlash27 wrote:Yalzin,
I would consider US-6 to be the ultimate cross- country adventure. The vast majority of it is Stella- friendly and it passes through a lot of America that the interstates bypassed.

Best,
-Slashy
I agree that route six is a great scooter road. If I was crossing the country during warm weather, that is the route I would take.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

babblefish wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what kind of work will you be doing here?
Instructional Design/Educational Technology. I've got a few Universities interested in my services. Like I said, just waiting on the reference check stuff :)

Alternatively, if any scooter shop wanted to hire me short term, that would be cool too >_>

I may have cold-e-mailed SF Scooter Centre to see if they had any positions.

I was following Route 6 on Google Maps. It looked like there were parts that ran on I-76?
Clydeo

Rt 6

Post by Clydeo »

There are several stretches of Rt6 which are now interstates. In CO, for instance, Rt 6 and I 70 are the same road, at least through much of the state, so you'd have to find an alternative for those sections. On the plus side, Rt 6 is s LOT more interesting and photogenic than Rt 50, at least in the sections I have explored (mainly in PA and New England). BTW, Rt 6 is the USA's longest highway. It seem is famous for starting and ending in the middle of no where, unlike most US highways. There is a Rt 6 association which will be happy to provide you with any information you may want.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cross Country Route

Post by jrsjr »

Yalzin wrote:Hello everyone!

I'm just about ready to leave the Midwest, for greener pastures on the West Coast. While I am waiting for a job offer (checking references and background check seems to take forever, at least from this side of things!), I've been day dreaming of how I will get from Bloomington, IN to SF on my Stella.

Naturally, there will be no interstates. I've looked at a few potential routes, but I was curious if anyone had any ideas, experience, etc. of the way I should go?

I'm still "studying" the Cannonball routes as well :)

Thanks much!
Don't let anybody talk you into taking the old Route 66. We did parts of that on the first Cannonball and it was so badly washboarded that it literally beat one of the vintage scooters to death.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Yalzin wrote: I was following Route 6 on Google Maps. It looked like there were parts that ran on I-76?
Parts of route 6 officially merge with interstates, but the unofficial "historic route 6" remains in most of them.
Route 6 merges with I-70 going through the rockies and this cannot be avoided, *but* those sections have reduced speed limits and are intended to handle low speed traffic.
There is a section of route 6 that is concurrent with I-70 in eastern Utah that can't be avoided. I don't know how they handle that situation.

Best,
-Slashy
Clydeo

Rt 6

Post by Clydeo »

There is a really good guide book on Rt 6 that is available on the Rt 6 website that is really detailed, telling you all about the most interesting places to check out along the way. This makes trip planning really easy. Rt 6 in PA is really a nice ride.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

The Rt. 6 Route looks like it will be easy to bypass (most) of the interstates.

Looking at it, I'd be on I-70 in the Rockies for a few exits (Between Georgetown and Silver Plume, and then just after Silver plume exit 221 to 216 at the Rt. 6 turn off), and then again Frisco (Exit 201) and Eagle Vail (171). Then yes, the Eatern UT portion. Took at look at the Frontage road near Crescent Junction. Um...no thanks. So Interstate it is. Think this portion is doable on a Stella?

But the Rt. 6 through the Rockies looks much nicer than CO-14. Would US-34 --> 40 be a nice ride through the mountains?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I know a couple that did the I70 part on a Ruckus and a Metro on the way to Mount Evans. It's all about timing. Not a good idea on Saturday morning at 9:00 am.
Clydeo

Rt 6

Post by Clydeo »

Check this site out, it's by someone who has done the route

http://www.thunderpress.net/motorcycle- ... /03/15.htm
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

DeeDee wrote:I know a couple that did the I70 part on a Ruckus and a Metro on the way to Mount Evans. It's all about timing. Not a good idea on Saturday morning at 9:00 am.
9:01am, got it ;)
Clydeo wrote:Check this site out, it's by someone who has done the route

http://www.thunderpress.net/motorcycle- ... /03/15.htm
Not sure how I've missed this during my google searches late at night. Time to read :)
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Yalzin,
The area around Crescent Junction was the only sticking point in my research. As I said earlier, I don't know how they handle low speed traffic in that stretch.
If I had the opportunity I'd do it, but I have a Polini 177 cylinder and a 24/24 carb. Not sure how a stock Stella would fare.
Best,
-Slashy
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

I really appreciate all the advice, Slashy :)

Looking at street view on google maps, Old Rt. 6 does NOT look fun.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Post by BigDaddy SnakeOiler »

I have taken my Stella on Interstates a few times. Mostly in the Smokeys when 441 becomes 6 lanes. I actually buried the speedometer on the way down! I just suggest you have good tires. If you can afford it, get ones with a higher speed rating. I was on Vee Snows.
I found that folks are much more tolerant with slow vehicles in mountain regions. Hell, I was even passing trucks on the way up.
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddyOTR/">
Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog</a>
<a href="https://www.facebook.com/bigdaddy.snakeoiler">
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

BigDaddy SnakeOiler wrote:I have taken my Stella on Interstates a few times. Mostly in the Smokeys when 441 becomes 6 lanes. I actually buried the speedometer on the way down! I just suggest you have good tires. If you can afford it, get ones with a higher speed rating. I was on Vee Snows.
I found that folks are much more tolerant with slow vehicles in mountain regions. Hell, I was even passing trucks on the way up.
I'm going to be getting either some Michelin S1's or Pirelli SL26's for the trip. Great reviews, and right in my budget. I'd love to do the Heideneau's, but that would put too much strain on the wallet. Sway me one way or the other? ;)
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Use a mapping application with bicycle routes. They work quite well for scoot's with not enough go for highway adventure.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
mike932

Post by mike932 »

and set up waypoints at gas stations. Travel from gas station to gas station so you never run out of gas.

also, bring a spare tire with you in case you get tire damage. fasten it to your scooter using heavy duty zip ties. any motorcycle shop should be willing to change it for you, and they are very unlikely to stock your size tire.
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Stella Already has a spare tire, so I'm set on that :)

Plan on carrying a 1 or 2 gallon jerrycan with me, but yes, stop with the gas stations.

Also, lot of camping if I can get it right. I'll get use out of that hammock yet!
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Yalzin,
Here's a list of stuff I keep on my Vespa at all times:
Parts
Spare tire/rim inflated to 35 PSI
Spare innertube
Innertube repair kit
Spark plug, gapped and ready to install
2 shifter cables (they work for anything in a pinch)
Spare headlight bulb
Tools
Vespa multitool
Metric stamped multiwrench (came with my paint gun)
#2 Philips screwdriver
Standard straight blade screwdriver
Needle nose pliers
Diagonal cutting pliers
Tire pressure gauge
Measuring cup, premarked for 2- stroke oil per gallon
Consumables
1 qt 2 stroke oil
20 oz emergency reserve gas (premixed) in an MSR bottle
Miscellaneous
Zip ties (small ones)
Shop rags

My '64 Vespa is very similar to your Stella and I love to take it road tripping. Not as reliable as a modern scooter, but it's designed to be easy to repair.
Best,
-Slashy
mike932

Post by mike932 »

goslash, you should add a diet soda to your list. soda for survival. diet so it won't be sticky if it bursts. also, matches and knife
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Slash, you are a rockstar!

I think I might have one spare cable around, probably pick up another.

Is the 20 oz fuel bottle enough? I've mapped the route out and I *Should* be ok, buuuut I'd like to err on the side of caution. I've also been skeptical if the 32oz is enough...

Since I"m on the 4T, no need for the oil (she doesn't burn it, and don't plan on changing until destination is reached).

I've also got tubeless rims, so I'll snag a plug kit in the event I need it, but here's hoping I dont!

Should probably get a windshield too.
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Scooters love hammocks...
Attachments
13645133_735942659877386_3572326152787006234_n.jpg
13645133_735942659877386_3572326152787006234_n.jpg (169.92 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

A windshield helps a lot. The constant wind beating on your chest can really get to you.
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Just bought the mid-sized windshield from scooterworks. Hopefully that will be alright. Definitely didn't want the Riot Shield.

Great pic on the scooter hammock camping!
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Yalzin,
Oh, I'm *far* from that! This girl is a rockstar:
http://250superhero.blogspot.com/

I selected the 20oz because it's adequate to get me 15 miles, which seems to be the average spacing between towns. I've never actually run out of gas tho' so I have no idea if it's enough.
Best,
-Slashy
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

She is Definitely a ScooterHero, that's for sure!

Update: Minor Setback: I was installing the windshield and GPS mount today, and seemed to have stripped the threads in the headset. Joy.

Helicoil...here I come?
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

Yalzin,
That's probably for the best. I hate seeing steel fasteners screwed into aluminum. Makes me cringe...

If you decide to take 6 through Iowa, let me know. I'd be happy to ride along with you part of the way.

Best,
-Slashy
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Oh, I'm *far* from that! This girl is a rockstar:
http://250superhero.blogspot.com/
She drew my avatar.

I have the medium WS from Scooterworks. It's been great in all my travels.
BigDaddy on FaceBook</a>
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

That's probably for the best. I hate seeing steel fasteners screwed into aluminum. Makes me cringe...

If you decide to take 6 through Iowa, let me know. I'd be happy to ride along with you part of the way.

Best,
-Slashy
Will do! Looking forward to it :)

I'm trying to convince another friend to come with me. Her Stella is parked here in Indiana, but she moved to Berkeley. Always good to have travel buddies!
Yalzin

Post by Yalzin »

Tires installed, oil changed, rear brake adjusted, helicoil inserted, GPS mount and windshield on.

getting closer...should probably settle on a date.
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

I've also got tubeless rims, so I'll snag a plug kit in the event I need it, but here's hoping I dont!
Yeah, after experiencing what it's like to ride one of these with a flat, I've decided to convert to tubeless also.
I'll carry a can of fix- a flat and a spare, but I don't imagine I'll need any more than that. Lots of tire repair places out there.

Best,
-Slashy