Tripping traffic lights

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dusty roads

Tripping traffic lights

Post by dusty roads »

Relatively new to scooting, so I could be mistaken but I think I have a problem tripping those traffic lights which are triggered by a car waiting for the light to change. Some have held me a long time, while a couple I just plain gave up on, turned around and sought another route.
Have you ever had a problem activating such a traffic light? Is a scooter & rider not bulky or metallic enough to do the job?
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

dusty roads,
Check here: http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic3 ... 9b6664d953

Best,
-Slashy
dusty roads

Post by dusty roads »

Thanks for the link goslash. Although it wasn't the perfect answer at least it let me know how to best work with it !
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Yep, it can happen! I usually go on through when it's clear because this is usually on late night grocery runs anyway and I am about the only one out, so no car is coming along to trip it!
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
GoSlash27

Post by GoSlash27 »

dusty roads,
To answer your questions,
1) Yes, it does happen.
2) It's more a case of the scooter being an awkward size and shape for the sensor. A large diameter loop close to the sensor is easy to detect. Bicycles are easy to detect near the perimeter because they make a large vertical loop. Cars make a large loop in the horizontal plane and are easy to detect in the middle. Scooters have no large loops in any plane, and so are harder to detect.

As for what to do about it, a lot of options in that thread. I stop near the edge of the sensor and dip my kickstand a couple times (the sensor looks for changes in reluctance). I haven't had any lights delay me since I started doing this.

Another option not mentioned in the thread: Contact whoever is responsible for that light and request a recalibration. They're usually good about getting them fixed.

HTHs,
-Slashy