newbie here - Questions about buying a used 2004 125.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

drewh111

newbie here - Questions about buying a used 2004 125.

Post by drewh111 »

I have the itch to get a scooter. Want something that will carry two people and groceries for around town. I am thinking a 125 would be right, 150 is probably more than I need.

I think the Buddy's look like a great choice and will likely look for a used one. I am very mechanical and can easily fix and rebuild things if I can get parts.

So, I am looking at a 2004 125. What should I look for and maximum miles you would consider? There is also a 2009 Blackjack that has 29k miles and needs a ton of work for about the same price. How is it getting parts for an older one.

thanks for any input you might have!
a2dmusic

Post by a2dmusic »

I know this isn't actually in answer to the questions you asked but... you mention that you want to be able to carry a passenger.

The Buddy is a great scooter, but whether it'll be good for two or not will depend on your height and how it's distributed. I'm 6'1", and there's no chance I could take on a passenger rider because a lot of that height is in my legs. If I sit far enough forward to allow for another rider, I can't turn the handlebars at lower speeds because my knees are in the way of the turning radius. So I have to sit back farther and forgo the second rider.

Obviously YMMV -- I'm on the bigger-guy end of the spectrum, with longer legs. But bear that in mind!
drewh111

Post by drewh111 »

useful feedback actually. Would you say that has to do with the design of the Buddy?

I am just under 6 ft. We rode a bunch of smallish scooters in Indonesia and could both fit but not super comfortable.
Remous

Re: newbie here - Questions about buying a used 2004 125.

Post by Remous »

drewh111 wrote:
So, I am looking at a 2004 125. What should I look for and maximum miles you would consider? There is also a 2009 Blackjack that has 29k miles and needs a ton of work for about the same price. How is it getting parts for an older one.

what are the asking prices?
a2dmusic

Post by a2dmusic »

drewh111 wrote:useful feedback actually. Would you say that has to do with the design of the Buddy?

I am just under 6 ft. We rode a bunch of smallish scooters in Indonesia and could both fit but not super comfortable.
I don't have a ton of different scooters under my belt, experience-wise. Just this and a Vespa (forgetting the exact model). Between the two, I would say that it's to do with the design of the Buddy, though. I read at least one review of the model I purchased that commented on it really being a single-rider scooter if you're over 5'11" (granted, while the 125/150/170i are the same bike, bodywise now, a 2004 might be different enough to not have this apply). I assume you could test ride the bike before buying it -- maybe that's the best way for you to check this issue out.

I'm sure other forum users could offer some perspective on this as well...

If you managed it in Asia, maybe it's fine, if your rides are shortish ("not super comfortable" can become a misery if your ride is long enough). Do you know the makes of scooters you rode?

Lastly, I'll simply say that if you're in the Bay Area (I think I saw that), you might not find a 150 to be "too much bike" for your needs, especially two-astride. I'm in Seattle which has some comparable hills (though SF still takes the cake in a couple of spots) and I'm glad to have some extra headroom under me, power-wise for some of those hills. Like you, though, I'm not especially mechanical, so if I'm being honest, I'd think about both and probably still go with the 125... if you could be confident on the two-riders angle.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Ha ha! I see you're shopping to a price point!? :)

Blackjack
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/6182669079.html

"2004" Buddy 125:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/6177177975.html

It's hard to make a recommendation with either of these two vehicles. They've both obviously suffered some abuse - or had some encounters.
Caveat emptor.

The Buddies are a GREAT choice for running around town and carrying groceries. Back when we used to have plastic grocery bags I would hook two on each of the helmet hooks, another two on the utility hook, a seventh (or loose items) in the pet-carrier and then whatever couldn't fit in a bag on the (flat) floor boards.

The Buddies are not so great for riding two up. I used to ride two up on my Buddy all the time ...and both me and my (ex)girlfriend are not big people (only about 220# together). Really fun for short jaunts, but not so fun for anything a bit longer.

I've had both Buddy 125s and a Buddy 150. The 150s use more gas, but they don't seem to be any faster than the 125s. They do pull harder up an incline, which could be useful in San Francisco, but I would go for a better condition 125 in a heartbeat.

BTW the first Genuine Buddies were imported in 2006, so the one in the CL ad is not a 2004 year model.
Last edited by Christophers on Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

drewh111 wrote:useful feedback actually. Would you say that has to do with the design of the Buddy?

The Buddy is a small, short (in wheelbase) scooter, so it gets kinda cramped with two up. Sitting next to my Blur, it really looks tiny.

While a 150 isn't too much faster than a 125 in top speed, that extra 25cc provides a little more torque when pulling a hill or with two people on board. If you plan on riding where there are any hills at all, you'll soon appreciate that extra power.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

2006 was the first year a Buddy was available so I would do more homework before pulling the trigger. Also two pieces need replacing...no telling what they are...and still described as "excellent" condition would lead me to ask more questions.

Personally I hate riding any Buddy 2 up. There just isn't enough room for comfort for anybody if going more than 2.87 miles.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I have a 125 Buddy. The only passenger I've taken is my 7 yr. old granddaughter. There is no way I would take an adult on a regular basis, and it is uncomfortable even taking my granddaughter. Choose a different scooter.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

drewh111 wrote:How is it getting parts for an older one.
For a 2004 Buddy it is impossible as others have noted. For a 2006 and newer Buddy 125 it is fairly easy as there have been very few changes since the scooter was introduced. Now about 2-up on a Buddy. The Buddy is very much a small frame scooter and does not easily accommodate two adult riders. If 2-up riding is a major intended use, I'd look elsewhere.
drewh111

Post by drewh111 »

Great forum! thanks everyone, this is very helpful.

Now I want to get a Buddy because the forum is good! I don't think two riders is the primary use but we will have to sit on one and try it. Interesting about the 2004 claim. I haven't spoken to the person yet. He also claims there are only 1700 miles on it.

It is good to know that things haven't changed much, that means parts are available.

drew.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

drewh111 wrote:I have the itch to get a scooter. Want something that will carry two people and groceries for around town. I am thinking a 125 would be right, 150 is probably more than I need.

I think the Buddy's look like a great choice and will likely look for a used one. I am very mechanical and can easily fix and rebuild things if I can get parts.

Check that 2004 year. The first Buddy was 2006. If the owner/seller doesn't know his scooter's year, it's an indication he doesn't know much about the scooter either. Caveat emptor.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

As previously noted, it is impossible for it to be a Genuine Scooter Company Buddy 125 model year 2004. Perhaps it is a 2014 model year? That might jibe better with the 1800 miles on the odometer. If you are still interested in that particular bike, have the owner take a picture of of the VIN plate and send it to you. It should have the year of manufacture on it. Additionally, if you do decide to buy it, it would behoove you to check the VIN plate versus the VIN stamped onto the frame underneath a rectangular panel in the leg shield.

It is not at all unusual to see scooters mislabeled on Craigslist. Many folks view them as something less than a real vehicle, perhaps just above toy status. As such, many scooters are bought as an impulse purchase with little thought to actual use cases. Many get dropped quickly thereafter, sit for a while, then get sold off with low miles.

The solution to your two-up problem is to buy would Buddy scooters so you can both have your own ride! :P
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Wait for a good clean 170i and be done with it. It's the same physical size as the other Buddy's and has fuel injection and good power.
For riding in SF, the 170i is the minimum size I'd suggest. You won't have to consider taking different routes to avoid hills.
Two up is pretty tight but for short rides, no pain.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Unless you really want a project bike, stay away from the Blackjack. Too many broken, non-standard, or missing pieces. The seat is not the original low-profile design, the muffler looks to be a standard 150 cc muffler, not the Prima exhaust typical to the Blackjack, I don't think the rear shock is original. Dead light lens covers missing, general fading and cracking of the body parts, rear rack is missing. $1000 is too much. Offer $300 and buy it for $500 only if it runs well.
drewh111

UPDATE

Post by drewh111 »

So my GF and I went to the dealer to look at scooters. She is not very strong and found it difficult to deal with a 125 Zuma. Looks like a bigger 2 person is out. I know that the 125 Buddy is only 22 pounds heavier but that still makes a difference for her. I also think she would be more comfortable with less power.

So current plan is to buy a 49cc Buddy. My hope is to trick out the motor to a larger bore to get enough HP for me to enjoy it too. That way I get a small light moped with a bit of power.

looking at this 2008 now with 7500 miles

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/6183607708.html

wondering who has upgraded their motors and what is the best route for that.

oh, and thanks for cummingsjc for the details on the Blackjack. I had kind of written that one off. And I don't trust the 125 either at this point for a lot of reasons. (one being that the guy doesn't know whether it will start or not)
Dooglas

Re: UPDATE

Post by Dooglas »

drewh111 wrote:So current plan is to buy a 49cc Buddy. My hope is to trick out the motor to a larger bore to get enough HP for me to enjoy it too. That way I get a small light moped with a bit of power
If you already think a 50 does not have the power for the applications you have in mind, why would you start out with the idea of investing in performance upgrades? If you need more scooter than a 50, I believe you should get a 125.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: UPDATE

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:
drewh111 wrote:So current plan is to buy a 49cc Buddy. My hope is to trick out the motor to a larger bore to get enough HP for me to enjoy it too. That way I get a small light moped with a bit of power
If you already think a 50 does not have the power for the applications you have in mind, why would you start out with the idea of investing in performance upgrades? If you need more scooter than a 50, I believe you should get a 125.
Agree. In reality a Buddy 125 is one of the lightest scooters out there. For inexperienced riders any scooter may seem heavy, it's usually just a lack of practice holding a bike up, putting it on the center stand etc.

I once picked up a full sized Harley Fat Boy off it's side for someone by myself. Yeah...there's a trick to it...but it is fun getting off a vintage rat scooter, picking up a Harley for a "biker" getting a big thanks for helping then scooting away in a cloud of two stroke smoke!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

From Wikipedia: "Strictly speaking, mopeds are driven by both an engine and by bicycle pedals, but in common usage and in many jurisdictions the term moped is used for similar vehicles including a scooter, though this is quite erroneous." By technical definition the Buddy 50cc is not, nor any other non-pedal scooter, a moped.

I would recommend that if your girlfriend can't handle the weight of a Buddy 125, she probably should not be riding at all. Both bikes will handle about the same once they are moving so the weight is really not an issue. Putting either bike up on the center stand or kick stand is going to be about the same. She probably just needs a bit of practice moving the bike around would be my guess. The 70cc top end kits are not really the best solution to your problem, in my opinion. Quality kits cost several hundred dollars, more if you have someone else do the installation, generally tend to be less reliable than the stock engines, and you still won't get to the same level of speed/power/reliability as the Buddy 125. There are many threads on this forum started by folks who bought a 50cc bike, then found out it doesn't have enough power that then want to convert them to 70cc engines. Do a search and you can see what the consensus on that subject is.

Don't get me wrong, I own two 50cc bikes and love them. They are great bikes to learn on and fun in a much different way than stuff that is bigger. However, they come with many caveats for their uses and require many compromises in day-to-day riding.

Has your girlfriend taken an MSF class? That would be the best option prior to buying any motorcycle, scooter, or moped.
drewh111

Post by drewh111 »

success - went to the SF buddy dealer and compared the 125 with the 50. Then we went to a friends house and tried his 100cc Aprilia. She was very comfortable on the Aprilia and is convinced about getting a 125. Now we have to find a good used one.
drewh111

Post by drewh111 »

well, I ended up buying an Aprilia Scarabeo 100. body is absolutely pristine, it sat in the garage for years. I'll end up working on it for sure.

The GF will love it and is such a gorgeous scooter. It may not be enough power for me but you can't have everything and I am tired of the ridiculous prices people are asking for their used 125's.

If anyone has one on the forum, I would love to hear about your experience, even if it is not good. My neighbor has had one for 10 years without a problem and they love it so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone for your input (that I obviously disregarded in the end :))

drew.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

drewh111 wrote:If anyone has one on the forum, I would love to hear about your experience, even if it is not good. My neighbor has had one for 10 years without a problem and they love it so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
There is an Aprilia Forum which you will find quite useful.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/forum.php