Buddy 50 helmet locking without a D-ring

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MohnJadden

Buddy 50 helmet locking without a D-ring

Post by MohnJadden »

I'm about to conclude my purchase of a Buddy 50. I've got an LS2 full-face helmet that I'd like to carry over from my previous scooter. It definitely won't fit under the seat - I brought it with me on my test ride. The little helmet notch hooks up at the front part of under-seat storage are meant for helmets that have a D-ring closure, but this helmet has a ratcheting closure.

Is there a decent way to secure my helmet since it won't let the seat close if I loop the ratchet closure around? I was thinking I'd just get a plastic zip-tie to allow some give and just hope nobody wants to burgle a helmet.
Clydeo

Helmet

Post by Clydeo »

One possibility is to get a luggage rack and get a large trunk from JC Whitney to mount on it. Those trunks are huge, and ought to hold almost any helmet. They, however, not exactly aesthetically pleasing!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

You can get a "T" shaped piece of metal that will fit in the buckle and allow you to use the under seat hook. I find it works best if you put a slight curve in the long side of the "T".
Attachments
nolan_tbar.jpg
nolan_tbar.jpg (20.65 KiB) Viewed 586 times
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I have some of those Nolan T bars laying around in the garage. They work great but I use BarEnder locks for my D-ring having turtle helmets and in the winter put my Nolan in the trunk. Im not sure if the Nolan T bars worked with the Buddy seat tang. If I see the owner of the Buddy's and can find a T bar I will check for ya MohnJadden. Were ya located? If I can find one or both and they work you can have them. Hold on, you found they work on a Buddy Dooglas? Will look in the garage for them.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

sc00ter wrote:Hold on, you found they work on a Buddy Dooglas? Will look in the garage for them.
I have used them on Vespas, Piaggios, Aprilias, and the Buddy. As I said, they work best if you bend the bar so that it points somewhat downward when you shut the seat. Nothing sophisticated about the clip under the Buddy seat. It is simply a peg. I believe the "T" bars are available in a couple of different widths for Nolan helmets and some other brands using a ratchet type of fastener/buckle. There is also a product around which uses a "T" bar and a compatible lock.
Attachments
$_35.jpg
$_35.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 571 times