Headlight question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JJScoot

Headlight question

Post by JJScoot »

I've searched but my question is kind of weird about headlight. I've hooked up the deadlights as running lights with LEDs. Now my ocd self hates how the headlight looks compared to the running lights- different color, not as bright, etc. I have read that converting to LED headlight is not just a a matter of "plug and play" and that the LED bulbs are ot necessarily the best as far as light pattern. So- long story just a little longer- based on my wants (brighter, more in line with led running light color, is it worth changing out to the piaa hs1 bulb I've seen people talk about here, or is it just an exercise in futility, ie waste of time?
az_slynch

Re: Headlight question

Post by az_slynch »

JJScoot wrote:I've searched but my question is kind of weird about headlight. I've hooked up the deadlights as running lights with LEDs. Now my ocd self hates how the headlight looks compared to the running lights- different color, not as bright, etc. I have read that converting to LED headlight is not just a a matter of "plug and play" and that the LED bulbs are ot necessarily the best as far as light pattern. So- long story just a little longer- based on my wants (brighter, more in line with led running light color, is it worth changing out to the piaa hs1 bulb I've seen people talk about here, or is it just an exercise in futility, ie waste of time?
The PIAA HS1 is a much brighter white than your standard HS1, but it isn't a dazzlingly blue-white as the LEDs people run in deadlights. There are xenon conversions that can get pretty close in hue and give better focus than a LED headlight would.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

I use a Putco nitelux H4 led bulb in my stella and the 07 buddy, I will agree that the light pattern is not as good as the PIAA HS1 bulb but I prefer the led pattern in mine ( more of a rectangle ) because it illuminates father to the left and right than the oval pattern on the PIAA HS1, it just depends on what year the buddy is, if its a 2006 use the PIAA HS1, if its a 2007 or newer I would go with a H4 led myself.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Mileslord wrote:I use a Putco nitelux H4 led bulb in my stella and the 07 buddy, I will agree that the light pattern is not as good as the PIAA HS1 bulb but I prefer the led pattern in mine ( more of a rectangle ) because it illuminates father to the left and right than the oval pattern on the PIAA HS1, it just depends on what year the buddy is, if its a 2006 use the PIAA HS1, if its a 2007 or newer I would go with a H4 led myself.
Mine is new. Does that fit with that big heat sink on it?
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

JJScoot wrote:
Mileslord wrote:I use a Putco nitelux H4 led bulb in my stella and the 07 buddy, I will agree that the light pattern is not as good as the PIAA HS1 bulb but I prefer the led pattern in mine ( more of a rectangle ) because it illuminates father to the left and right than the oval pattern on the PIAA HS1, it just depends on what year the buddy is, if its a 2006 use the PIAA HS1, if its a 2007 or newer I would go with a H4 led myself.
The Putco Nitelux have a flexable mesh heatsink that you can form around the speedo cable.
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Mileslord wrote:
JJScoot wrote:
The Putco Nitelux have a flexable mesh heatsink that you can form around the speedo cable.
great thanks! do you have a picture of it at night?
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

The only picture I have with me is of my Honda metro's. one with the stock headlight (left) or the Putco nitelux H4 (right) but I can take a picture tonite of my stella (putco H4) and the 2006 buddy (PIAA HS1)
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

Here is a picture of the bulb style
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Thanks! Looks good to me. I'm guessing you bought a pair of them. I haven't seen a single anywhere for sale yet.
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

I did buy those as a pair but there should be a number for the single kit, let me check with my supplier tomorrow and get the number but the worst case I do have another new single putco h4 in my stash I could sell.
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

I have a idea, I can send you my extra H4 led to try out and make sure it fits, on the honor system, and if you like it buy my extra or order a new set yourself and I can send a call for it to get it back to me-
miles
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Mileslord wrote:I have a idea, I can send you my extra H4 led to try out and make sure it fits, on the honor system, and if you like it buy my extra or order a new set yourself and I can send a call for it to get it back to me-
miles
Text sent.
Argee

piaa not very bright

Post by Argee »

PIAA is kinda purple. It's not much brighter than stock. I'm pretty happy with a 40W LED bulb. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4500LM-40W-H4-C ... rn&vxp=mtr

However, those new bulbs with the flexible heat sink are better.
az_slynch

Re: piaa not very bright

Post by az_slynch »

Argee wrote:PIAA is kinda purple. It's not much brighter than stock. I'm pretty happy with a 40W LED bulb. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4500LM-40W-H4-C ... rn&vxp=mtr

However, those new bulbs with the flexible heat sink are better.
There are two PIAA options in the discussion here

The purplish one is the Plasma GT-X; I have one H4 installed in my Yager. Added some violet position LEDs to accent the hue on low beam. It's decidedly more white when set on high beam, but not really a "pure" white.

The PIAA Xtreme White is the one in contention. It is a bright white with a very slight blue-white bias. Looks more like natural light than pure white LEDs do. I put two in Howardr's Helices and he seems pretty happy with them.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
JJScoot

Post by JJScoot »

Miles found a spare and sent it to me no charge. Thanks again Miles. I really like the new difference. I dont generally drive at night, but there was a huge difference in what is lit up on my test drive. Ill test with my wife one night to make sure Im not blinding oncoming drivers.
I dont know if the heat sink can do any damage to other wires in the dash with the heat it will put out, but only time will tell. Here are a few pics to show how much better the matching lights are:
Attachments
Scoot3.jpg
Scoot3.jpg (58.65 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
Scoot2.jpg
Scoot2.jpg (71.23 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
Scoot.jpg
Scoot.jpg (74.64 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

I am glad you like it. I never had any oncoming traffic flash me or my wife with that bulb, so you should be good. as for the heatsink on that bulb, I did some testing on them just to see how hot it would get (I was concerned about heat build up) and the mesh heatsink would get warm but never hot, so you should be safe.
ronfer

Post by ronfer »

Glad I saw this thread. Looks like the Putco nitelux H4 led bulb is a good upgrade.
psymple

Post by psymple »

I purchased this and it is too big to fit into the housing; how did you make that work? That was my second LED light attempt

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4500LM-40W-H4-C ... rn&vxp=mtr
psymple

Post by psymple »

You sure the Putco nitelux H4 fits on a buddy? The back of the bulb looks a bit long, and may hit the speedometer. I already have 2 useless LED headlights that wouldn't fit, the PIAA being one of them. Thanks
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

I am positive that it fits, I wish I had a picture of it to show. It is right up to the speedo cable but I just spread the flexable heat sink around both sides and no problems.
psymple

Post by psymple »

Thanks!!! I ordered almost immediately after asking the question anyway... haha Perfect timing; the high beam on one of them just died.
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

Now the best advise I can offer for the install is to remove the tabbed ring that locks it in the head lamp (just twist to remove from the nite-lux bulb)install that and then insert the bulb and twist it to lock it in place.
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

I just got a bunch of the new style nite-lux bulbs
http://www.putco.com/products.cfm?actio ... 8037d1078d
psymple

Post by psymple »

What's the difference?
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

Aluminum body, Philips leds and can clock (rotate) the bulb to adjust the beam pattern or to help adjust it for a better fit in the headlamp housing.
but they are more expensive (about $30-50 more per pair)
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

and a 2 year warranty vs the original 1 year warranty
psymple

Post by psymple »

where are you finding the original? I found them for $75/pair!!!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Not Putco, but I might give this one a try: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X40W-H4-12-24v ... 0005.m1851

The LED element is a CREE-XM-L2. Warranty is 3 years.
Attachments
led headlite.jpg
led headlite.jpg (69.56 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

psymple wrote:where are you finding the original? I found them for $75/pair!!!
That's a great price but I bet you got the discontinued nite-lux part number #270004, you may have problems with warranty support on those.
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

babblefish wrote:Not Putco, but I might give this one a try: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X40W-H4-12-24v ... 0005.m1851

The LED element is a CREE-XM-L2. Warranty is 3 years.
I bet those will work looks the same as the putco's
psymple

Post by psymple »

Thanks, i may order a set of them also...
Argee

Post by Argee »

psymple wrote:You sure the Putco nitelux H4 fits on a buddy? The back of the bulb looks a bit long, and may hit the speedometer. I already have 2 useless LED headlights that wouldn't fit, the PIAA being one of them. Thanks
I had to modify the bulb mount, moved it forward about 1/4".
psymple

Post by psymple »

Damn, I don't want to have to modify....

Does that mean it sits deeper into the lenses? Does it affect the beam?
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

Argee wrote:
psymple wrote:You sure the Putco nitelux H4 fits on a buddy? The back of the bulb looks a bit long, and may hit the speedometer. I already have 2 useless LED headlights that wouldn't fit, the PIAA being one of them. Thanks
I am curious as to what you had to modify? and it was the putco nite-lux or the putco silver lux bulbs?

any pictures?
rondhi

Post by rondhi »

I'd be curious to see is babblefish's ebay suggestion fits!

Also, I'm finding the new Putco Silver-Lux (the one with the 300004 model number) on Amazon for about $138 for a pair. Does that sound right?
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

The price is a good one, about what I pay as a dealer but I am sure they buy in bigger quantity and get better deal than I do
psymple

Post by psymple »

Argee wrote:
Can you tell me about the mod; of course they don't fit...3rd set of LEDS bought and that are useless
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

psymple wrote:
Argee wrote:
Can you tell me about the mod; of course they don't fit...3rd set of LEDS bought and that are useless
I am kinda curious as to what the problem is? both me and JJScoot had no issues installing them.
psymple

Post by psymple »

I ordered both; the putco arrived and one of the LEDs was missing and were sent back. The 3200... are too long and hit the speedo cable input.
Mileslord

Post by Mileslord »

psymple wrote:I ordered both; the putco arrived and one of the LEDs was missing and were sent back. The 3200... are too long and hit the speedo cable input.
Ok, that is nice to know the 3200 are too long.