buddy 170 shock options

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

luckyscroller788

buddy 170 shock options

Post by luckyscroller788 »

My wife and I just got back home from a 6 day, 1550 mile scooter trip. The scooter has 7100 miles on it now after the trip.
Over the last 400-500 miles her buddy 170 developed an annoying squeak, and from what it looks like to me, her rear shock is shot. So, should I buy a replacement of the OEM shock for it, or get one of the ncy replacements, and wheres the best place to get a shock from?
exmayor

Post by exmayor »

I put a NCY shock and NCY forks and rotor on my 125 shortly after I took delivery. Really happy with the improvement in both ends. I buy all parts from my dealer Scooter Therapy in Madison. My belief is if I support my dealer he will be there when I need him.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Take a look at this Forsa rear shock. Made in Taiwan, very high quality. 280mm just like the Buddy stock shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rear-shock-abso ... SwyWZZQOHR
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

You should check that it is the shock and not the centerstand. There are two ways to check 1st is with the scooter standing up off the centerstand bounce the back end of the scooter up and down hard enough that you hear the squeak then repeat with the centerstand pushed down halfway. The 2nd way to test is while riding down a bumpy road take your left foot and push the centerstand down about an inch. Both of my Buddies have squeaky centerstands, I think it stands once the rubber bumper wears though the black paint under the scooter. If that doesn't make sense let me know, or if you haven't changed the shock by Skootoberfest i can take a look at it.

If it is the shock you might want to consider a shorter shock like this one - https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Low-Do ... ck&catId=1
luckyscroller788

Post by luckyscroller788 »

scootERIK wrote:You should check that it is the shock and not the centerstand. There are two ways to check 1st is with the scooter standing up off the centerstand bounce the back end of the scooter up and down hard enough that you hear the squeak then repeat with the centerstand pushed down halfway. The 2nd way to test is while riding down a bumpy road take your left foot and push the centerstand down about an inch. Both of my Buddies have squeaky centerstands, I think it stands once the rubber bumper wears though the black paint under the scooter. If that doesn't make sense let me know, or if you haven't changed the shock by Skootoberfest i can take a look at it.

If it is the shock you might want to consider a shorter shock like this one - https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Low-Do ... ck&catId=1
Erik, if this were a contest of " wheres that annoying squeak coming from?" You my friend would have won. It never dawned on me that it could be coming from the stand, but, I did what you described to do, and sure enough, the squeak is in fact coming from the center stand! Thanks! Now, how do I eliminate that? Slobber a lil grease down there somewhere?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Is it the bumper that is squeaking or is it the pivot? If it is the bumper it will quiet down once it wears all the paint off the part it is rubbing against.

It is more likely to be coming from the pivots for the centerstand. The easy fix is just spray the two pivots with some WD-40 or similar spray, you might also want to check that the bolts are tight(I have to tighten mine every so often.)
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

It's almost certainly not the shock that's squeaking. Check the center stand for the source of the squeak. Mine did exactly the same thing last week at 7,200 miles.
I lubed the spring attachment points, hinge bolts and rubber bumper that touches the bottom of the engine and no squeak.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
ronfer

Post by ronfer »

Can't go wrong with NCY. Heard great things about it.