Short windscreen

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

exmayor

Short windscreen

Post by exmayor »

I just saw that scooterworks has added this to their products
https://www.scooterworks.com/Prima-Shor ... 13417.aspx
I emailed them and ask what the height is from the top of headlight to top of screen. I’ll post their reply.
NCY fork, NCY shock, NCY rotor, NCY super trans, Conty Zippy 1 tires,CRG bar end mirrors, Shortened rear fender, Gen-u-bin, Cheeky Seats cover
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I've been thinking for years about getting a windscreen for the Buddy but don't do it mostly because I have no idea what size will fit me: Tall, medium, short.
skipper20

Re: Short windscreen

Post by skipper20 »

exmayor wrote:I just saw that scooterworks has added this to their products
I emailed them and ask what the height is from the top of headlight to top of screen. I’ll post their reply.
Short windscreens are strictly for looks. If you want protection from bug splatters and the elements plus a 1 - 2 mph increase in top end, think medium windscreens.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Buddy Oxford Green w/Prima medium windscreen
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green w/stock Hooligan windscreen
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Cool find! Go for it! It looks like exactly the size that you're after.
FWIW note that the side extensions don't reach out to shield the handlebars.
(My sister-in-law has the Prima Short Windscreen on her 2006 vintage Buddy 125 which has the same side extensions but is taller. I'm curious to hear what Scooterworks says about the height of the 2007+ Prima 'short'.)

I am very happy with the results I got trimming down the Cuppini 'short' windscreen. (http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic30613.html) The Prima 'short' that you found looks like it might even be shorter than my trimmed down Cuppini.
Last edited by Christophers on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
dasscooter

Post by dasscooter »

I personally notice a difference with a short windscreen vs none because I'm a wide 250lb Irishman. As much as I dislike the look of windshields - my bikes that are "too cool" for them never get ridden. Even a small flyscreen keeps the wind off of my gut yet still gives you the "in the wind" feeling. I logged a bunch of miles on a Stella with a flyscreen.

My winter ride has a Slipstreamer windshield that goes way over my head. There's no substitute for that on those cold mornings when it's reaaaaaal hard to get out of bed.
exmayor

Short windscreen

Post by exmayor »

dasscooter,
That is what I am after. Prior to getting my Buddy this spring,I rode a Ducati Monster with the short factory screen for over 15K miles. It provided just enough deflection to take the wind off of my chest. And much of that was at extra legal speeds. Now the majority of my riding is around town at 25 to 45.
Since I always wear full gear with either a full face or jet helmet i don’t seem to be bothered by the occasional bug.
And I just like the fly screen look as it doesn’t visually overpower the lines of the scooter
NCY fork, NCY shock, NCY rotor, NCY super trans, Conty Zippy 1 tires,CRG bar end mirrors, Shortened rear fender, Gen-u-bin, Cheeky Seats cover
ChuckyD

Post by ChuckyD »

I got this one, really like the quality hardware, size... and price.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003J ... UTF8&psc=1
Moyesdriver

Post by Moyesdriver »

That Prima short is probably the way to go - you don’t want to look THROUGH a windscreen/fairing on a bike or a scooter, you want to look over it while it takes the wind blast off of your chest.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Moyesdriver wrote:That Prima short is probably the way to go - you don’t want to look THROUGH a windscreen/fairing on a bike or a scooter, you want to look over it while it takes the wind blast off of your chest.
With the Prima medium on both scooters (the stock Hooligan screen is a Prima medium), I'm looking OVER their tops. I'm 5' 10". To me, the Prima tall windscreen is way overkill. The Prima medium is just the right size. The short looks nice and sporty but unless you're very short, it won't do the job.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Buddy Oxford Green
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I own both a short and a medium windscreen for my GTS. I use the short screen in the summer when I want the wind blowing around my helmet. I use the medium screen the rest of the year as it keeps the wind off of me. I'm 5'9" so I can look over the medium screen while the wind stream is deflected over my head. If I were taller, I would take a tall screen and cut it down to the right height.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Nice. I'd like to see the installation instructions for this. Different from the other Prima windscreens, it looks like it does not use the mirror mounts.
exmayor

Short windscreen

Post by exmayor »

When I expanded the picture of the mounting hardware it appears that the brackets have a sleeve that shoulder bolts go thru into the mirror mounts. Which looks to be a cleaner looking solution than the Cuppini screen mount.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I'm 5' 8.5". Would the medium or short fit me best. It's cold here in MN and I try to ride into fall as long as possible. I want to be able to see over the top of the windscreen though. It sounds as though there is no way to adjust the height. If it's too tall then I would need to cut it down? Is that correct? Any suggestion on which size would fit me best. I have a 2008 Buddy 125.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Scooterworks quickly responded to a query about the screen's mounting. Turns out that it is the wrong hardware pic. It is a mirror mount screen like the others. The pic has since been corrected.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

exmayor wrote: I emailed them and ask what the height is from the top of headlight to top of screen. I’ll post their reply.
Any word back about the height of the screen (on centerline)?

The Prima short looks shorter than I trimmed my Cuppini short windshield to (195 mm on centerline).

It also looks shorter than the Prima Short for the 2006 model Buddy 125.
(I'll try to take a pic of that mounted and report the height on centerline, as well)
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

ucandoit wrote:I'm 5' 8.5". Would the medium or short fit me best. It's cold here in MN and I try to ride into fall as long as possible. I want to be able to see over the top of the windscreen though. It sounds as though there is no way to adjust the height. If it's too tall then I would need to cut it down? Is that correct? Any suggestion on which size would fit me best. I have a 2008 Buddy 125.
I think the Cuppini Short windshield would be perfect for what you want. It would give you maximal shielding while still allowing you to see over the top of the windscreen.

I personally found the full height Cuppini Short too tall for what I was look for, so I trimmed it down for my scooter, but if you want seated wind protection that still allows you to see over the windscreen, the Cuppini Short is probably perfect.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Christophers. Thanks for the feedback.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

ucandoit wrote:I'm 5' 8.5". Would the medium or short fit me best. It's cold here in MN and I try to ride into fall as long as possible. I want to be able to see over the top of the windscreen though. It sounds as though there is no way to adjust the height. If it's too tall then I would need to cut it down? Is that correct? Any suggestion on which size would fit me best. I have a 2008 Buddy 125.
I'm 5' 10". I have my Prima medium windscreen adjusted down to about 1/4" over the headlight housing of my '12 Buddy 170i, i.e. about as far as it will go before touching the housing. At that height, I can see over the top by 2" or so. You're 1 1/2" shorter than me so with a medium, its top might just be at your line of vision. Based on my own past experience, this could be a distraction. To be on the safe side, I'd suggest you go with a short or order a tall and then cut it down to a height that works best for you.

Bill in Seattle
'12 Buddy 170i Oxford Green
'14 Hooligan 170i Matte Green
Argee

short windscreen looks and works better

Post by Argee »

At 5'6", an old Harley screen cut down to 12.75" is perfect to see over but no wind on my chest. I think I could go shorter.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Christophers wrote:
Cool find! Go for it! It looks like exactly the size that you're after.
FWIW note that the side extensions don't reach out to shield the handlebars.
(My sister-in-law has the Prima Short Windscreen on her 2006 vintage Buddy 125 which has the same side extensions but is taller. I'm curious to hear what Scooterworks says about the height of the 2007+ Prima 'short'.)

I am very happy with the results I got trimming down the Cuppini 'short' windscreen. (http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic30613.html) The Prima 'short' that you found looks like it might even be shorter than my trimmed down Cuppini.
Update and correction.

(ref.:http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/genuinewindshields)

It looks like the windscreen on my sister-in-law's scooter ('06 Buddy 125) is the Cuppini Buddy Short pre-'06 windscreen (SKU: WSBUD1).
I measured it this evening, and it is 250 mm tall on midline.
[And FWIW the windscreen only has the black boarder around the headlight - not all the way around the windscreen.]

The Cuppini Buddy Short '2007 and after' windscreen (SKU WSBUD3) measured at 320 mm tall on midline.

And the Cuppini short ('2007 and after') that I had cut down and put on my Psycho measures 195 mm on midline.

Did Scooterworks ever get back to you with measurement on the new "Prima Short" windscreen?
exmayor

Short windscreen

Post by exmayor »

No info back from scooterworks yet. I’ll contact them again.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I'm a big fan of the medium screen. Have had one on the Vintage 06 for years. At 5' 2" Bocette has not problem looking over it.

It's probably the best bang for the buck in getting a little more speed out of your Buddy!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL