Upgrades to Hooligan 170i - Looking for suggestions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BigShark

Upgrades to Hooligan 170i - Looking for suggestions

Post by BigShark »

Hey Guys!

I am a 5'10" maile weighing in at 200Lb. I live in downtown Austin and really enjoy tooling around on my Hooligan, but at the point where I want to do some upgrades to increase performance.

Before this, I have noticed a bit os squealing from the clutch at take off. It seems to be more prominent when taking off with a passenger. I understand this may be evidence of the clutch wearing out, but I am looking for any advice anyone may have.

I am considering installing a NCY Super Transmission Set.
https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Super- ... P1325.aspx

Has anyone installed this kit before? What is your experience? Did you do it yourself, or send it out to the Shop to install?

Any advice on air intake or exhaust upgrades?

Thanks for any suggestions you would provide?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

You could have a belt that's wearing out, or you could be dealing with a glazed clutch. You can't go wrong with the supertrans kit, it'll give you stronger take-off and might bump the top speed up a tiny bit. The performance exhaust is probably going to give you a bit more of both as well. Use them both together? Or one at a time as budget allows, etc? Not sure what else to do with the Hooligan, I don't think anyone has done a big bore for it.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Forgot to include the exhaust link. Derp.

Https://www.scooterworks.com/Scooterwor ... 13063.aspx
BigShark

Post by BigShark »

What feedback would you have about rollers/slider weights? I watched a video from the NCY Store, and he upgraded with Dr Pully sliders and guides. I don't understand why you would buy a kit and start changing out rollers for sliders and changing the weight around.

I have no experience with scooters and CVT, so I am a noobie here.
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

Here are some YouTube videos. You can learn a lot by watching some CVT tuning tips on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxcQGmT8EJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAm1MW2f8H0

Billy
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Stanza wrote:You can't go wrong with the supertrans kit, it'll give you stronger take-off and might bump the top speed up a tiny bit.
I would be a bit more cautious recommending the supertrans kit.
There are at least a handful of people that have posted reviews of the kit(s), and while almost all rave about the benefits initially, the "long" term reviews seem to come back fairly negative - from loss of overall performance in exchange for limited benefits such as "stronger takeoff" to greatly decreased longevity (hence the quotations around "long" term - because in this case the longevity of many of these components seems to be greatly reduced vis-a-vis the stock parts).

I have no personal experience with the supertrans kit(s) components for these reasons - although I periodically want to try one. If you do end up doing one, definitely report back on your "long" term experience and satisfaction. In the meantime do a search on the forums and see what you think about the long term perspectives of the supertransmission kit(s)/components.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Just had a Super Tranny installed by my dealer on my RH50.

For the money I spent - I wasn't that enthused. Yes it does feel stronger, however, not THAT strong. Yes it does feel a tab quicker, but not THAT quicker. Plus the kit from Scooterworks came with the wrong variator face that we couldn't use.

IMHO I would have rather just kept the money.

I should also claim I'm not that into tuning.

I like this adage, "There is no replacement for displacement".
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

How many miles on the bike? I'm about the same size as you. My 170i had no problem moving me around Denver and the entire front range. Took it up to the base of Mt Evans a couple of times. Close to a mile change in elevation from home. I had it on the highway a handful of times. Not a real soothing experience, but it did it.
skipper20

Re: Upgrades to Hooligan 170i - Looking for suggestions

Post by skipper20 »

BigShark wrote:Hey Guys!

I am a 5'10" maile weighing in at 200Lb. I live in downtown Austin and really enjoy tooling around on my Hooligan, but at the point where I want to do some upgrades to increase performance.

Before this, I have noticed a bit os squealing from the clutch at take off. It seems to be more prominent when taking off with a passenger. I understand this may be evidence of the clutch wearing out, but I am looking for any advice anyone may have.

I am considering installing a NCY Super Transmission Set.
https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Super- ... P1325.aspx

Has anyone installed this kit before? What is your experience? Did you do it yourself, or send it out to the Shop to install?

Any advice on air intake or exhaust upgrades?

Thanks for any suggestions you would provide?
Other than fixing your squealing clutch, my suggestion would be to leave the scooter alone. I spent hundreds of dollars upgrading my '15 Hooligan including performance exhaust, Dr. Pulley sliders, heavier contra spring and a performance air filter and all I got was maybe a 1 mph increase in top end. Without increasing engine size, upgrades are nothing more than trade-offs. You may gain a bit at one end but you'll lose a bit at the other end. The Hooligan is a 60 mph scooter and a very good one at that. Be satisfied with it.

Bill in Seattle
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

There's no replacement for displacement.

If you want a faster bike, buy a bigger bike. The marginal gains you get from spending beaucoup bucks to upgrade isn't worth it.

Trying to get a 170cc bike to perform like a 400cc bike is an exercise in futility. It'll empty your pocketbook and the goal still won't be achieved.
BigShark

Post by BigShark »

Hey DeeDee,

The bike has just shy of 4000 miles on it.

Im not really having a problem with performance, rather it's my thought if I need to replace the Clutch and get a new belt, I might as well look to upgrade, and get more performance. For a seemingly simple $200 bolt on, I am willing to give it a short, but want to make sure my money is well spend.

In really, I raced a ladies friend of mine on her 150, and we were tied, so now I want to beat her.

DeeDee wrote:How many miles on the bike? I'm about the same size as you. My 170i had no problem moving me around Denver and the entire front range. Took it up to the base of Mt Evans a couple of times. Close to a mile change in elevation from home. I had it on the highway a handful of times. Not a real soothing experience, but it did it.
BigShark

Post by BigShark »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I guess I am just getting antsy to tinker with things. Great feedback that it will not increase performance that much.

I understand the Buddy 50 is restricted in the exhaust. I have seen videos were you cut out this little cone area on the header and it opens up the flow out for more HP. Do you know if the 170I Hooligan has this restriction also?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

At 4,000 miles it is unlikely that bike needs any new parts. It is possible your clutch pads have some glaze on them. It's important to never use your throttle as a brake. Increased RPM without the rear wheel moving will glaze the pads causing a but of shudder or hesitation off the line. When you leave from a stop, you want to quickly go. Either stopped with no throttle or moving when giving throttle. The buddy 50 is restricted to keep it under 40mph for low power scooter laws. Your Hooligan has no need.