Upgrade debate - Hooligan or PCX 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

WKYRIDER

Upgrade debate - Hooligan or PCX 150

Post by WKYRIDER »

Live and commute daily, year round rain or shine, in NYC. I've had a Roughhouse Sport for 2 years and looking for a little more go juice. I've narrowed down my options to either a Hooligan or a PCX. They look to be comparable. I have no complaints with Genuine, but I want to make sure I explore all options. Anyone have any input?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Have you sat on both? The Hoolie has a more upright seating position, while the PCX is more feet-forward.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

Have you looked at/considered a Buddy 125?
Still one of the best bang-for-the-buck options out there, IHMO. A big upgrade in terms of 'go juice' versus a Roughhouse sport.

It's a little hard to make a recommendation. You didn't tell us much about yourself or the vibe that you're going for (size: height and weight, age, riding experience, average desired commute speeds, type of streets that will see the most use, overall uses).

I might also recommend a Genuine G400C as a good option. Also sounds like good bang-for-the-buck!

Let us know a bit more, and I'm sure you'll get some informed input!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The PCX is probably a little more refined and may handle better, but personally I'm looking to buy a Hooligan because I want the flat bottom floor board for carrying stuff. I've been able to carry stuff on the smallish floor board of my Buddy that I would have never been able to with my Blur.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
WKYRIDER

Post by WKYRIDER »

Christophers wrote:Have you looked at/considered a Buddy 125?
Still one of the best bang-for-the-buck options out there, IHMO. A big upgrade in terms of 'go juice' versus a Roughhouse sport.

It's a little hard to make a recommendation. You didn't tell us much about yourself or the vibe that you're going for (size: height and weight, age, riding experience, average desired commute speeds, type of streets that will see the most use, overall uses).

I might also recommend a Genuine G400C as a good option. Also sounds like good bang-for-the-buck!

Let us know a bit more, and I'm sure you'll get some informed input!
I'm staying away from the Buddy 125 because I like having the bigger wheels. My commuting/riding is 99% within Manhattan. Commuting in Manhattan means slower speed, but its nice to be able to dodge the idiot cab and uber drivers. The bigger wheels seem to be a bit safer with the crazy road conditions, ie potholes, sunken manhole covers, etc.

I've been riding bikes for over 10 years and the Roughhouse Sport fits my body.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Have you sat on both? Do you use the flat floor on the RH? Are quality accessories (windshield, rear rack) important to you? I know a few people have had the rear rack break mounts on the Hooligan. Same with the windshield mounts. I love Honda's but have owned 2 Buddy 125's, so I think it comes down to seating comfort and accessory options.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

babblefish wrote:The PCX is probably a little more refined and may handle better, but personally I'm looking to buy a Hooligan because I want the flat bottom floor board for carrying stuff. I've been able to carry stuff on the smallish floor board of my Buddy that I would have never been able to with my Blur.
If the flat floor board is important. you've made the right choice as Hooligans come standard with cargo netting and hooks on the sides of the floor to secure the netting. Perfect for carrying extra cargo. And, for those big city potholes and sunken manhole covers, the 12" wheels and tires and dual rear shocks are a definite plus.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Left field alternative,
If it's more power you're after, have you considered kitting/piping your roughhouse? They respond very well to performance upgrades, and it'd be cheaper than a new bike.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I just don't like the PCX. I don't like the riding position or the foot position. I sat on the hooligan and didnt like it either. It seemed bulky to me. YMMV
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

I can't speak to the PCX other than to say it is a Honda and as such, they are generally very nice scooters. My direct experience is that the Hooligan was a very comfortable ride for both me and for my wife. We sold it only because I needed the money more than I needed the scooter at that time (and was originally bought used for lower than value to repair some minor body damage and resell). They are a bit more spacious than the Buddy and the bigger tires and longer wheelbase are a plus. Personally, I also loved the more "tough" look. I would definitely get one again if/when money becomes more plentiful.
WKYRIDER

Post by WKYRIDER »

Syd wrote:Have you sat on both? The Hoolie has a more upright seating position, while the PCX is more feet-forward.
i havent sat on either. i plan to sit on the honda this weekend. my assumption is the Hooligan is going to feel the same as my Roughhouse.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

WKYRIDER wrote:
Syd wrote:Have you sat on both? The Hoolie has a more upright seating position, while the PCX is more feet-forward.
i havent sat on either. i plan to sit on the honda this weekend. my assumption is the Hooligan is going to feel the same as my Roughhouse.
I've owned both. They each have a different feel, a good feel, but I think you're going to like the largeness of the Hooligan better.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emiritus
WKYRIDER

Post by WKYRIDER »

skipper20 wrote:
WKYRIDER wrote:
I've owned both. They each have a different feel, a good feel, but I think you're going to like the largeness of the Hooligan better.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emiritus
owed the roughhouse and the hooligan or the pcx and the hooligan?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

A friend has a PCX (older model-forgot year) and aside from painting it an ugly blue color, it's been bullet proof. He has a GIVI windshield and a pretty good sized GIVI trunk. Has never had a mounting point break for either accessory, and he's not easy on his scooter. Rides it like he stole it. I also know one person who had a Hooligan. Rear rack mounting brackets broke and he ended up selling it. Not because of the rear rack failing, just wanted something bigger/faster He was rather angry about the Hooligan rack failure though. He has a Burgman 400 now.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

WKYRIDER wrote:
skipper20 wrote:
WKYRIDER wrote: i havent sat on either. i plan to sit on the honda this weekend. my assumption is the Hooligan is going to feel the same as my Roughhouse.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emiritus
From his previous posts over the last two years or so, I believe he meant the Hooligan and Roughhouse and excluded the PCX.
WKYRIDER

Post by WKYRIDER »

cummingsjc wrote:
WKYRIDER wrote:
skipper20 wrote: I've owned both. They each have a different feel, a good feel, but I think you're going to like the largeness of the Hooligan better.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emiritus
From his previous posts over the last two years or so, I believe he meant the Hooligan and Roughhouse and excluded the PCX.
sat on the pcx and the hooligan this weekend. hooligan is much bigger than the roughhouse, but i think i liked the feel of the pcx better. looks like i can get a better deal on the pcx. decision time.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

WKYRIDER wrote:sat on the pcx and the hooligan this weekend. hooligan is much bigger than the roughhouse, but i think i liked the feel of the pcx better. looks like i can get a better deal on the pcx. decision time.
Sounds like PCX all the way, then!
It's a very good scooter ~ many would say an upgrade from a Buddy 125 (OK, several have told me as much), and they are probably right in many ways.

Personally I don't like the PCX - pretty much at all - but for the same reason that I don't think the PCX is an upgrade (for me), it sounds like it should definitely be your next scooter.

They are good solid reliable and sporty scoots.
I think you've found a winner!

Let us know! what you end up getting!
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Check out the SYM /Lance Cabo - very capable scooter, flat floor board, and 169cc Fuel Injected, and a very competitive price. If I was in the market for a new scooter, this is what I would go for,
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I've never ridden a Fiddle III, but it does have an SYM ceramic coated 169cc cylinder.
The majority is always sane - Nessus