Took my scoot and my camera out of town yesterday.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Leeroy Jenkins

Took my scoot and my camera out of town yesterday.

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Got out of the urban routine and rode around on some nice country roads yesterday. Had a blast. :mrgreen:

ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

nice touch to include the muddy tire.

How did the buddy handle on that trail/road?
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Nice pix from what looks like a great ride!

I especially like the license plate frame.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Better than I expected. If I were to do more of that type of riding I need to switch tires.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Very nice shots, reminds me of my time in Western Kentucky. There's just so much vegetation there compared to the West.

When I see shots like this I'm always curious about the type of camera used. If you get a chance, let us know.

Also, for future reference, when posting images to the web, you may want to photoshop out your license plate numbers. You never know who's lurking...
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

What wrong with my plate #'s?

camera

Samsung, digimax L60. $50 craigslist

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

gt1000 wrote:for future reference, when posting images to the web, you may want to photoshop out your license plate numbers. You never know who's lurking...
That (and covering up the VIN) have come up on a few boards I'm on. I don't get it. You're driving around every day with your plate number showing, and anyone can see your VIN in your car or bike.

Sure, there are maybe horrible things people could do to you if they had that information, but it's public information anyway. It's not like an SSN or something. It probably couldn't hurt to blur it out, but I never bother. The only thing I can think of is someone getting keys for your vehicle by giving a dealer your VIN. Most dealers wouldn't do that without proper ID, and covering your VIN is-I'm pretty sure-illegal.

I think it started in England, because there, you're assigned a number and then you order plates from a private company. Since a disreputable company could make you a plate with any number you ask for, people with unregistered scooters could find a similar bike online, and order a plate with the same number, so any speeding/camera violations they make would be billed to the owner of a similar vehicle, and if a policeman checked the plates, they'd match the description of the bike. I don't see that being a problem here, forged plates are pretty rare, most scooter theft is petty idiots.

More info on the VIN scam:
http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/vintheft.html
No one is putting this much effort and risk (it involves going to the dealer, probably the one that sold you the bike, in person!) into stealing Buddies, trust me. Especially when they can cu the chain, pick it up, and chuck it into a truck in eight seconds.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

With your plate number, I can track you down, get your personal information, address and the like.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

ERik3tb wrote:With your plate number, I can track you down, get your personal information, address and the like.
If you work at the DMV or you're a policeman.

I dunno, maybe I'm naive, but I'm not that paranoid. There are easier ways to find personal information.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I think it's really only a big issue for expensive bikes or items that are highly sought after. But, to me, personal information is like weight. If you take care of the ounces, the pounds won't mount up. I can blot out the info on my plate with a 10 second trip into Photoshop, so rather than ask "why", I would ask "why not?" Why the hell should I advertise my bike's location to everyone in the world? It's one thing driving around, it's quite another broadcasting it over the web.

There was a story last week about a guy on a D16RR who was bike-jacked at gunpoint at a stop light. Was it dumb luck on the part of the bike jackers or did they know that guy was going to be there on his way home from work? Frankly, with my insurance coverage, I'm more concerned about ID theft than bike theft, but I'd rather do everything in my power to thwart any theft I can.

Obviously, it's your choice whether or not to blur your plate. I'll invest the 10 seconds of effort, just for peace of mind.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

illnoise wrote:If you work at the DMV or you're a policeman.

I dunno, maybe I'm naive, but I'm not that paranoid. There are easier ways to find personal information.

Bb.
Actually, anyone can do it and it's frighteningly easy. I have a degree in information system security and work for the government here in Wyoming. But I know 14 and 16 year olds that can do scary things with that license plate as a starting point. They are on probation for ID theft.
coopdway

Post by coopdway »

Leeroy,
Thanks for the great pics of my kind of roads and riding. I can't wait.

It will warm up, it will warm up........
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

GREAT pics! Looks like you had a good time.... I can't wait to get back on the road. Thanks for sharing
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Nice pics!

When I lived in Nashville, I really enjoyed cruising the Natchez Trace and other surrounding roads. Lots of great stuff back there!
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Nice to see another creamer! Best color of all, and '07 was the last year for it too..
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Cream is the fastest color.
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

gotta love scooter pics with barns in the background. great shots!
I have the scoots!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

GREAT pics, they're kinda like sexy pinup like pictures.....
Wish I had somewhere like that to ride when the weather warms up. Lots of great country roads here in Central Pa. but they're all paved and choked with turists during the warm monthe gawkking at the Amish!

Older son took the scoot out today, yikes! we just got 3 inches of snow topped with sleet and freezing rain, what kind of tires would be suggested for that, Do they make scoot sized tire chains?? (LOL)