Polarized Sunglasses?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

afriendofcheese

Polarized Sunglasses?

Post by afriendofcheese »

In preparation for the Spring days that don't seem too far off, I bought some new sunglasses to replace my previous (lost) ones. I went with some polarized lenses, but when I ride with my face shield down, a rainbow-like effect is produced which was pretty distracting.
Anyone else notice this? Do non-polarized lenses produce the same effect or is this a universal problem with the curvature of the face shield plastic? Help!
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Polarized lenses will create a little blur in curved full face shields... treated car windows (UV tinted) etc. It's usually not too bad once you know it's there, and once it's warm enough you can flip the visor up most times cause the sunglasses are still there to protect the peepers :roll:
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

I will absolutely NOT ride with polarized sunglasses. In addition to the rainbow effect, trying to read LCD readings becomes nearly impossible.
On top of that, many riders have reported difficulty seeing puddles of (any type of) liquid on street surfaces.
Bottom line: run the eff away from polarized lenses.
You have been warned. This tape will self-destruct in 60 seconds......
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
weaseltamer

Post by weaseltamer »

i have a pair and never use them riding for the same reasons stated above. The rainbow is too distracting (esp. for the type that rides like a squirrel... eyes on every single thing). In retrospect i wish i has gotten a tinted visor instead... (wouldve saved me a few hundred dollars too) :cry:
Keys

Post by Keys »

...but the rainbows are SO pretty!

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Christy

Post by Christy »

i got a tinted visor for my full face helmet for something like $15 last year...it's awesome and i don't have to wear sunglasses
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Christy wrote:i got a tinted visor for my full face helmet for something like $15 last year...it's awesome and i don't have to wear sunglasses
How much of a pain is it to swap though? I often end up leaving work after dark and it seems like a hassle to have to change my visor- one more thing to add to the scooter "pre-flight checklist" of gear, locks, etc...

I've been thinking about getting one of these- a Fog City Speed Tint.

It's sort of like the tint strip on the top of a car windshield. But I'm not sure it will be that useful.
Christy

Post by Christy »

jmazza wrote:How much of a pain is it to swap though? I often end up leaving work after dark and it seems like a hassle to have to change my visor- one more thing to add to the scooter "pre-flight checklist" of gear, locks, etc...

It's sort of like the tint strip on the top of a car windshield. But I'm not sure it will be that useful.
Once I figured out how hard to push/pull on my remover-buttony-thingy to remove the existing visor, it was super easy to replace it with the dark one. It takes me about 30 seconds to change it out now.

Soon, I'm planning on getting those bright yellow glasses to wear at night so that I can just flip it up at night and never actually have to change it...I don't ride very much after dark anyway.
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Christy wrote:
jmazza wrote:How much of a pain is it to swap though? I often end up leaving work after dark and it seems like a hassle to have to change my visor- one more thing to add to the scooter "pre-flight checklist" of gear, locks, etc...

Once I figured out how hard to push/pull on my remover-buttony-thingy to remove the existing visor, it was super easy to replace it with the dark one. It takes me about 30 seconds to change it out now.

Soon, I'm planning on getting those bright yellow glasses to wear at night so that I can just flip it up at night and never actually have to change it...I don't ride very much after dark anyway.
Good point- I've gotten pretty good at changing mine too- and I guess I could store it in the toy box (top case). But I ride almost every day in both day and night so if the speed tint can do the job I'd rather do that. I just want a super dark visor so I can look really menacing. On my scooter.
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

to make things easy here to understand, polorized glasses essentially filter out part of the suns rays. instead of light coming into your eye in a scattered array, polorized lenses filter some of the light, and only allow the rest of the rays to enter your eye in a straight pattern. This is great for fishing etc. because it reduces glare, but when you need to see something important (like the road conditions, signs etc) it is important to be able to see EVERYTHING, even things you would normally view as unwanted. As stated above, certain things that are light emitting such as signs, or glare from a puddle, you want to see. bottom line, polorized glasses work because they eliminate or dumb down your eyes ability to pick up all forms of incoming light, which is bad for riding, its like stunting one of your major senses. i found a diagram to show more visually how it horks, it works like a filter, by only allowing horizontal light to enter your eye.

I have the scoots!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I use polorized sunglasses all the time. Rainbow effect is minimal and I can read my analog speedometer with no problems. But the LCD clock is another matter.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Sounds like a good excuse for a new helmet! 8)

jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Too many options. I'm just going to wear a sleep mask and drive with the power of my mind alone. :P
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

A coupla options:

1] Some of the newer helmets (like Nolan) have flip down second layer sun shields. Vision is then safe for both day and night...

2] On my older helmets I've attached a dark vinyl sun strip across the top so I can lower my head and duck my eyes under it. They're held on by static electricity, and a pack of them can be bought from most auto shops (like PeP Boys) for only a few bucks... 8)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
coopdway

Post by coopdway »

Drumwoulf wrote:.........
2] On my older helmets I've attached a dark vinyl sun strip across the top so I can lower my head and duck my eyes under it. They're held on by static electricity, and a pack of them can be bought from most auto shops (like PeP Boys) for only a few bucks... 8)
I've been too cheap for that. All of my helmets have a strip of electrical tape stuck inside to provide a nice sharp and easy cut off line for Old Sol. It's really easy to stick it exactly where I want it and once in place, I never move it. I've got three shields for my Shoei and each one has a tape strip.
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

Great suggestions everyone! I went ahead and bought some non-polarized glasses and later on if I feel I need some more sun protection I'll either buy the film or use the electric tape trick.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

coopdway wrote:
Drumwoulf wrote:.........
I've been too cheap for that. All of my helmets have a strip of electrical tape stuck inside to provide a nice sharp and easy cut off line for Old Sol. It's really easy to stick it exactly where I want it and once in place, I never move it. I've got three shields for my Shoei and each one has a tape strip.
Hmmmmm....? Can you see THRU that tape? (You can thru the film!) And the tape prolly costs more than the film does, so I don't understand your logic here.. :?:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
coopdway

Post by coopdway »

Drumwoulf wrote: Hmmmmm....? Can you see THRU that tape? (You can thru the film!) And the tape prolly costs more than the film does, so I don't understand your logic here.. :?:
Nope, don't want to look through the tape. I want a line, like the visor in your car. It's solid, it's there and I can tip it when I need to.

My tape isn't tinting, it is a shade. Even with my darkest tinting, sometimes the sun is right there on the horizon.

I always used to wear open face helmets and I very much miss my visors, that's all.

YMM certainly V.