learn how to kickstart your buddy on You tube

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SFSC
Dealer

learn how to kickstart your buddy on You tube

Post by SFSC »

Take a look at our first Video

Thanks
Barry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMl6OnTwqcQ
FrictionShifter

Post by FrictionShifter »

funny stuff.

i was trying to kickstart the other day, it is NOT easy, especially compared to my old Bajaj.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Wow, what was that, about 100 kicks? :shock:

She needs to eat her Wheaties in the morning to get that girlie kick turned around into a manly kick ! :D
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

EP_scoot wrote:Wow, what was that, about 100 kicks? :shock:

She needs to eat her Wheaties in the morning to get that girlie kick turned around into a manly kick ! :D
I started both of mine faster than that yesterday and they have been sitting all winter and have no battery :lol:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Someone mentioned to slowly push the kickstart lever down until it "catches" and then let it up again - THEN try to start it.

The technical reason is um, more bang for your buck. Yeah, that's it.
cthoops

Post by cthoops »

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has a hard time kick-starting the scoot. In fact, I have yet to successfully do it. :oops:

Looks like I've been giving up too soon. Off to the garage!
My other scoot is a road bike.
I'm mod on the inside.
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

jmazza wrote:Someone mentioned to slowly push the kickstart lever down until it "catches" and then let it up again - THEN try to start it.

The advice that I have read is that when kick starting first gently press down on the kick lever until you hit resistance and then bring the kick lever back to the highest position. The gentle press down positions the engine in the compression stroke so that when you kick start, the engine is in the optimal position for starting.

Barry,

It is great that you show your customers how to kick start the Buddy because that is a very valuable skill just in case your battery dies. I can empathize with the people in your video because the first time I tried to kick start my Buddy I was just guessing on how to do it and it took me a ridiculously large number of attempts to get it started. Now I can usually get it started in 2 or 3 kicks.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
kazoo

Post by kazoo »

I don't know the buddies setup, but I have on other machines adjusted the position of the kicker. If it is splined and you can adjust it, you might want to look into doing just that too.
Last edited by kazoo on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Man I really hope my battery never dies. :)

What I really want is a video showing how to put the bike up on it's kickstand. 2 more after i bought it I still haven't figured it out.
Steven
Touting the benefit of the Buddy 50cc one post at a time
Keys

Post by Keys »

It's really NOT that difficult. Gently press down until you encounter resistance. This will be top-dead-center. Allow the kicker to ratchet back up to the top. Kick firmly. This way you kick through the entire cycle giving your engine a better chance to catch.

Learned this trick on an old BSA 441 Victor and a Yamaha SR500.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

I thought you had to have the break on when kick starting. I always hold the break when I kick start and it usually takes 1-3 times.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

what shop were you at?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Holding the brake is not neccessary when kickstarting.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Keys wrote:It's really NOT that difficult. Gently press down until you encounter resistance. This will be top-dead-center. Allow the kicker to ratchet back up to the top. Kick firmly. This way you kick through the entire cycle giving your engine a better chance to catch.
)
yeah this, as well as what hcstrider said is what I meant. I was just being more technical and specific than they were!! :shock:
SFSC
Dealer

Kick Starting

Post by SFSC »

The young lady that bought the scooter was great. I was showing her how to start it and her friend wanted to try. At the time it seemed pretty funny. After I long time I busted out the camera. After she got it started with a little practice and instruction she became the kickstart master.
I just got a E mail from her
"Thanks for sharing that with me! I LOVE my new buddy...everytime I see it, a huge smile comes along. I definitely made the right decision and couldn't be happier! You guys are all wonderful and thank you so much for everything. I look forward to many more Youtube experiences ahead :)"
I asked her before posting it and she thought it would be fun.
I sure enjoy the Buddy and look forward to the 150's

Take care

Barry
San francisco Scooter Centre
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

Has anyone else tried kicking and kicking and kicking and then relized that you shut it off with the kill switch :oops:
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
anderson

Post by anderson »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:Has anyone else tried kicking and kicking and kicking and then relized that you shut it off with the kill switch :oops:
Umm.

Yes.
Don

2007 Red Buddy 125
2008 Aprilia SportCity
2008 Triumph Street Triple
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

Buddy_wannabe wrote:Has anyone else tried kicking and kicking and kicking and then relized that you shut it off with the kill switch :oops:
Been there, done that. :oops:

Has anyone had the problem where their Buddy won't start with the electric start (turns over but doesn't start) but fires right up with the kickstart? What's up with that?
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Rather than standing parallel the buddy and using my right foot, I stand somewhat behind it and use my LEFT foot (hold the rear rack). Much better results. I am a lefty though, so that might help
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

thats how i kick mine too it seems to give you a little more leverage.
peabody99 wrote:Rather than standing parallel the buddy and using my right foot, I stand somewhat behind it and use my LEFT foot (hold the rear rack). Much better results. I am a lefty though, so that might help
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

i saw this video and tried it this morning, but couldn't figure out how to make it work.

so i gave up and just used the electric starter. :oops:

maybe it's time someone post a "successfully kick-started buddy" video ;-)
philly6000

Post by philly6000 »

I found that kick-starting from behind the bike and using my LEFT foot was the optimal way to get it started. Only takes me 1 or 2 kicks that way.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I have never successfully kick started my scoot, NEVER!
I actually once even hurt myself trying!
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This was a quick headlight-lit demo for someone who asked about it. I'll do a better demo someday. Works for me, first kick most times.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZA9JGmFqnI?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZA9JGmFqnI?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Stand parallel to the scooter. Rest your right hand on the back for balance. Place right foot on kickstart lever. Slowly apply a little pressure until you feel resistance. Then kick it! Do it in one swift downward motion.

Whatever you do, don't just repeatedly kick the crap out of it if it's not working. Stop and try again between kicks. You can damage the scooter otherwise!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lowcard

Post by lowcard »

I recently picked up a buddy 125 with a dead battery, the past couple of weeks i've been kick starting and usually it takes about 10-12 tries to finally fire up. Then I tried to kick start and at the end of the cycle i hit the starter button,it fired up the first time. Is it a bad idea to do this regularly?
def squad
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lowcard wrote:I recently picked up a buddy 125 with a dead battery, the past couple of weeks i've been kick starting and usually it takes about 10-12 tries to finally fire up. Then I tried to kick start and at the end of the cycle i hit the starter button,it fired up the first time. Is it a bad idea to do this regularly?
I'm going to say yes, harmful. It could screw up the starter motor or starter gears. The rough and not technically precise reason is that you're engaging the gears with the kickstarter. When you hit the starter the electric motor is engaging and trying to move gears that are in motion under the force of the kick. That's duress on the gears and possibly the motor too.

You should be able to kickstart it in a few tries. Had the scooter been sitting for a long time before you got it? There may be an issue elsewhere.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lowcard

Post by lowcard »

ericalm wrote:
lowcard wrote:I recently picked up a buddy 125 with a dead battery, the past couple of weeks i've been kick starting and usually it takes about 10-12 tries to finally fire up. Then I tried to kick start and at the end of the cycle i hit the starter button,it fired up the first time. Is it a bad idea to do this regularly?
I'm going to say yes, harmful. It could screw up the starter motor or starter gears. The rough and not technically precise reason is that you're engaging the gears with the kickstarter. When you hit the starter the electric motor is engaging and trying to move gears that are in motion under the force of the kick. That's duress on the gears and possibly the motor too.

You should be able to kickstart it in a few tries. Had the scooter been sitting for a long time before you got it? There may be an issue elsewhere.
Yes, but the scooter didn't sit for more than two months at a time. It has about 4500 miles on the engine,so im thinking it may just need a tuneup?
def squad
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Do you know the maintenance history? By now it should have had 3 oil changes and its 4,000 mile "big service." The carb and valves should probably be checked.
wifiducky

Post by wifiducky »

when i had my black cat and my 125 i laughed at this video but now that my 125 has the NCY Decompression Tube on it o.o i cant laugh i cant even kick it anymore its to much for my poor heart hahhahahahahaha
lowcard

Post by lowcard »

ericalm wrote:Do you know the maintenance history? By now it should have had 3 oil changes and its 4,000 mile "big service." The carb and valves should probably be checked.
No, I don't have a physical copy of the maintenance history. However my old roommate was the previous owner and he treated it like a first born child.Im certain the oil was changed at least a half dozen times within the past year.
def squad
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

hcstrider wrote:
jmazza wrote:Someone mentioned to slowly push the kickstart lever down until it "catches" and then let it up again - THEN try to start it.

The advice that I have read is that when kick starting first gently press down on the kick lever until you hit resistance and then bring the kick lever back to the highest position. The gentle press down positions the engine in the compression stroke so that when you kick start, the engine is in the optimal position for starting.

Barry,

It is great that you show your customers how to kick start the Buddy because that is a very valuable skill just in case your battery dies. I can empathize with the people in your video because the first time I tried to kick start my Buddy I was just guessing on how to do it and it took me a ridiculously large number of attempts to get it started. Now I can usually get it started in 2 or 3 kicks.
+1. I've had to play with my kickstart on my new 150, and found that it's necessary to slow-crank it to the compression cycle, then give it a good whack. Not exactly what I was used to, but this is the first single-cylinder bike with a kickstarter I've had since the early '80s :) My last scooter (Yamaha Riva Razz 125) didn't have a kick starter, and my old Honda CB550 did, but being a 4-cylinder, it was always in compression on one of the cylinders.

So I figured out quickly (by feel) how to kick the Buddy optimally. Just flailing away at it may have worked on my old 4-cyl, but not on a single.
Dr. Rock

Post by Dr. Rock »

I kick start first start of everyday. Just so the battery is happy. Yeah I know it doesn't care but does in my mind. Have since I got it. Starts way easier than my mower and weed eater. ;)

Have had to kick a few other Buddy owners as well. A skill that should be learned, it's easy, everyone has laid it out here. Just sayin'. ;)

HOWEVER, didn't know I could do it without holding the brake in. Nice to know after 700 kicks or so but MAN it's WAY easier now. Thanks MB.
Twitter: @Drjuggernaught
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Dr. Rock wrote:HOWEVER, didn't know I could do it without holding the brake in. Nice to know after 700 kicks or so but MAN it's WAY easier now. Thanks MB.
Yea, I finally figured that out after a year and a half and several dozen kick starts in cold weather. It still takes between 6 and 10 kicks to get it fired up. I wonder if it has to do with colder climates vs. warm.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Dr. Rock wrote:HOWEVER, didn't know I could do it without holding the brake in. Nice to know after 700 kicks or so but MAN it's WAY easier now. Thanks MB.
Holding the (front) brake is still not a bad idea, though.