NGK Iridium spark plug

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brothergc

NGK Iridium spark plug

Post by brothergc »

I read on a few forums for scooters that NGK is top of the line for spark plugs and I even saw where one post saying that the NGK Iridum is the best looking for feedback . I was able to cross reference the original ngk plug to the part number 5944 BRP7HIX On the NGK website
Anyone use this plug ? will it void the warranty ? what if any benifits to using this over say a copper plug ?
johnk

Post by johnk »

Iridium plugs are a bit sturdier than copper plugs. Personally, I would stick to what the manual recommends. Iridium won't give you a performance upgrade or anything.

I think the real benefits of iridium apply to cars, where you might go 100,000 miles or more using the same set of spark plugs, because they won't wear out as badly.

By the way, NGK is a very common spark plug brand (for good reason). I wouldn't be surprised if the plug your scooter came with is an NGK, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about changing it for a while. Still, it's a good idea to keep a spare on hand.

If you do replace it, or even just pull out the current one for inspection, the three most important things are gapping the spark plug properly, screwing it in with your fingers to start (to make sure it's not cross-threaded) before tightening it with a wrench, and avoiding overtightening it.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

For our scooters just about any type/brand sparkplug will be fine. Think lawn mower engine. The engines in our scooters are pretty basic with fairly low compression and not under a lot of stress...unless the rider is over 250lbs or something...Lol. I have a friend who's around 375lbs and he rode around on a 150cc scooter for awhile. I felt so sorry for that poor little scooter...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

FWIW, iridium plugs seem to start engines slightly easier, from my experience.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

They last longer than anything I've used. I put them in my scooters, motorcycles & cars. I've changed them every 50K miles in the cars & they look almost new. Will change them every 100K miles from here on.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

babblefish

Post by babblefish »

In that case I`ll get one for my Buddy because that way I won`t have to change it until I hit 100K miles.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

babblefish wrote:In that case I`ll get one for my Buddy because that way I won`t have to change it until I hit 100K miles.
Now that's funny. Let us know how it works out for you.
brothergc

Post by brothergc »

New2Scoots wrote:They last longer than anything I've used. I put them in my scooters, motorcycles & cars. I've changed them every 50K miles in the cars & they look almost new. Will change them every 100K miles from here on.
that is what I heard as well wanted to see if anyone else might have seen this . I bought one on amazon and after the 300 mi service to keep the warranty valid , I am going to swap it out .
I suggest not waiting till 1,00k . Why ? Because the plug could seize in the head . electrolysis will naturally happen over time and the threads in the head and the threads of the plug will start to become one without some kind of anti seize lube.
Worked most of my career as a auto-tech and I have seen my fair share. of seized plugs Ford 4.6 and 5.4 V8s were real bad . I dont leave ANY plug in for more then 50k no matter what kind of engine , scooter or car :D
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

I've long wondered why Ford designed the 4.6L and the 5.4L engine with those tiny plugs.

I've heard horror stories on those engines. Many blowing the plug out of the head.

fried okra
brothergc

Post by brothergc »

fried okra wrote:I've long wondered why Ford designed the 4.6L and the 5.4L engine with those tiny plugs.

I've heard horror stories on those engines. Many blowing the plug out of the head.

fried okra
I believe it has to do with the design of the engine if I am not mistaken they went with a 3 ( or was it 4 ? ) valve per cylinder design so in order to have room for the plug ... they made the plug smaller they have since redesigned the plug
we used to get big bucks for a spark plug change on these and they were a bear :(