Upgrading a 2015 RH50 with a new Sport Pipe and Jets

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootiebob

Upgrading a 2015 RH50 with a new Sport Pipe and Jets

Post by scootiebob »

Hey guys I'm putting on a sport pipe I bought off scooterswapshop.com this weekend and bought a Main jet kit with sizes 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115. They Recommend 80 for the sport pipe any recommendations? Also How about the oil injection system do I have to worry about not enough oil being squirted into the cylinder if I'm putting more fuel into the cylinder? :?:
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Considering that it's an 82 main jet already, I have no idea why they would suggest that you go smaller. Go up to a 90, and you should be ok (maybe one size up or down from there for fine tuning)

As for oil injection, you should be alright if you're only putting on a sport pipe. If you consider putting a top end kit on it later on, that's when you'll need to think about the oiling system.
scootiebob

Post by scootiebob »

Thank you for that information Stanza I will be making a Youtube video on it later this week and hopefully we can all benefit from what you said and the video. Youtube name (EverythingisBroken) :D :D
scootiebob

Black canister?

Post by scootiebob »

Hey guys, just installed the sport exhaust on the roughhouse but the sport pipe has no exhaust port for the black hose that goes into a canister and then looks like the cvt or crankcase? What have you guys done about this.
lovemysan

Re: Black canister?

Post by lovemysan »

scootiebob wrote:Hey guys, just installed the sport exhaust on the roughhouse but the sport pipe has no exhaust port for the black hose that goes into a canister and then looks like the cvt or crankcase? What have you guys done about this.
just plug it. which pipe did you get?
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
scootiebob

Post by scootiebob »

Thanks that's what my plan is I'm just going to figure out the best way to plug or vent it and where to mount the hose. But again do you know what the entire system is meant for?

Here are the parts I ordered for my scooter it's a NCY pipe, but the original order they accidentally sent me a pipe for a buddy 50 which has the black hose attachment. I just got the correct RH50 pipe on last night and it sounds awesome and not too loud, I'm installing the jet kit today which I am going with a 90 since the stock is an 82.

https://scooterswapshop.com/collections ... ghhouse-50

https://scooterswapshop.com/collections ... ghhouse-50
Stanza

Re: Black canister?

Post by Stanza »

scootiebob wrote:Hey guys, just installed the sport exhaust on the roughhouse but the sport pipe has no exhaust port for the black hose that goes into a canister and then looks like the cvt or crankcase? What have you guys done about this.

Why are you posting this same question in two separate threads?
tenders

Post by tenders »

That extra hosing is listed in the Buddy 50 parts diagram as “optional� and aftermarket pipes don’t use it. Its purpose is to inject extra air into the exhaust to combust any remaining fuel after its exit from the cylinder. I think it’s an EPA thing for the OEM and I suspect it’s the same equipment as for the RH.

its filter casing on my Buddy 50 became brittle, and cracked. So, keeping the original pipe, I took it off and closed off the muffler fitting with a copper plumbing cap I found on Amazon and a tablespoonful of extra-high-temperature epoxy. The hosing can just be routed somewhere innocuous around the engine, or removed altogether.
scootiebob

Double Post/Black Canister

Post by scootiebob »

Stanza, I apologize for double posting as I'm new here and thought I was replying to the members separately in each post hoping I would reach anyone who could answer my question..
That being said I also realized you have answered many great questions I have had in the "Black Cat, Rattler & Roughhouse Discussion" section that I failed to see and search under such as the answer for my canister question titled "Aftermarket exhaust roughhouse" along with "2009 Roughhouse 50 Oil Injection Question"

Thank you for your scooter wisdom and I apologize again. :roll: :wink:
scootiebob

Should I open up my Airbox?

Post by scootiebob »

Hey guys so I finished off the Sport pipe and 90 jet install, it idles and runs perfect and has a nice tone to it not much louder than the stock pipe but it's a nice sound and it smells like a chainsaw now with no cat lol. I still have the black canister connected to the cvt crankcase only since I haven't had time to reroute it and make a screened plug for it but I have a question...

It seems a touch quicker off the line but it's hard to tell if I'm just hearing a louder sound from the pipe making me think it's quicker, but my old top speed was 43 and yesterday I topped it out at 41 MPH on the same road, same time of day and temperature and humidity. What's the deal with that? I was hoping for a little more speed honestly. Any suggestions? Should I open up the air box a little to help it breathe? Any suggestions please let me know if that would be beneficial, I would plan on opening up the stock intake tube hole in order to keep dirt and water out rather than drilling on the side of the airbox.
2015 RH50 Wrapped Blue
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

You need to do a plug chop at wide open throttle. Right now you have no idea if your mixture is lean or fat, nor to what degree. It just is in the ball park, but who knows where?

Also what pilot/low speed jet did you put in?
scootiebob

Post by scootiebob »

What is a plug chop??

The RH50 just has the sport pipe and 90 main jet.

Pilot Jet is stock.
2015 RH50 Wrapped Blue
tenders

Post by tenders »

A plug chop is a somewhat laborious process of running the engine at a particular speed for a while (to isolate the effect of a specific carb jet) and then shutting the engine down at that speed, removing and inspecting the plug for signs of leanness or richness, and replacing the relevant jet in the carb with one larger or smaller, as indicated.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

90 is too much jet for that pipe imo. 82 or 85 should be fine. My understanding is those pipes are basically a stock style pre emissions pipe. I have a friend that works as a tech at the genuine dealer.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

lovemysan wrote:90 is too much jet for that pipe imo. 82 or 85 should be fine. My understanding is those pipes are basically a stock style pre emissions pipe. I have a friend that works as a tech at the genuine dealer.
82 is the stock jetting, and removing the partial restriction from the catalytic converter will absolutely require going higher.