Buddy 170i Tail Light Problem

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scoop43

Post by scoop43 »

I recently installed LED lights in my front cowl lights, and I simply turned the old bulbs counter clockwise and pulled them out. I installed the LED bulbs in by pushing them in, and turning them clockwise. They lighted up with no problem.

Then I tried to remove the rear turn signal bulbs by the same method, however I found them impossible to unscrew. I could not turn them counter clockwise to remove them. After trying for awhile, I put some painter's tape on them, and pulled them straight out. I installed the new bulbs, but I could not turn them counter clockwise as I expected to do. I found there is a tension rod on the side of the housing that presses against the bulb base. Is this all that holds the bulb in? I have never seen this before. Why are the rear sockets different from the front sockets? The rear LED bulbs do light up, but I worry they could slide out of position and fail to light if they are not properly held in place. Has anyone else had this problem with the rear turn signal sockets?
Buddy 170i British Oxford green
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

You have to push the bulb all the way in, then turn. There is a spring at the bottom of the socket you have to compress before the bulb will turn.

More detailed instructions-
If you look close there are channels on the side of the socket where the bulb goes in, you need to line the little nub(s) on the bulb up with the channels then push the bulb all the way in until the bottom of the bulb is touching the socket, then turn the bulb clockwise ~10-15 degrees. The bulb should now be locked in. Once installed test the turn signals to make sure you have the polarity correct, if the bulb doesn't work remove and turn 180 degrees then re-install.
scoop43

Post by scoop43 »

Thanks for the detailed instructions on how to install the tail light lightbulb, however I have installed bulbs similar to this on several occasions on various cars and motorcycles I have owned. I never had this problem before. After double checking my new red LED bulbs which I bought on Amazon (Antline 1156 52smd lamps with projector lenses and BA15s bases) I compared them with the original bulbs, I found a slight difference in the bases. This might be the problem I think. The nubs on the original bulb bases were about 1/16 inch closer to the bottom of the base than the new bulbs' bases.

So, can anyone tell me what LED bulbs they used that fit the Buddy rear turn signal sockets? I am returning the new bulbs I bought.

BTW, if you look on the Superbrightleds website, where they show their led bulbs next to the incandescent bulbs with BA15s bases, you will see what I am talking about regarding the nubs.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

I can confirm the rear turn signal sockets won't accept many BA15 bulbs in a locking fashion due to slight depth differences. It's not a BA15 socket. That said, I modified my LEDs to fit by grinding the nubs and soldering new ones on. Not ideal, but I'm a cheap bastard.
scoop43

Post by scoop43 »

That is a good idea you had to make the LED bulbs fit. I think I will try that, if the bulbs I ordered today don' t fit. I was thinking I might have to jury rig some new sockets to the lamp housing, but your idea sounds easier. I do like the light output the new LED bulbs have.
VSP

Re: Buddy 170i Tail Light Problem

Post by VSP »

scoop43 wrote: So, can anyone tell me what LED bulbs they used that fit the Buddy rear turn signal sockets?
I use these in the rear sockets. Purchased from a local auto parts store many years ago. Fit just fine.

https://chromeglow.com/products/hyper-b ... bs?id=7512
Voodoo [voo-doo] -adjective. Claimed or reputed to provide an ingenious or seemingly magical solution to a problem. <A HREF="http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html">Get your VOODOO here</A>
scoop43

Post by scoop43 »

I solved the rear turn signal problem! I returned the Antline red 1156 LED bulbs to Amazon, and I ordered ibrightstar red LED bulbs instead. They are similar however, the iBrightstar bulbs have 3 stacked rows of LEDs instead of 4 rows like the Antline ones did. However, they did fit the rear turn signal sockets of by Buddy 170i perfectly. I could them them and lock them in place. They worked fine, and emit a bright red light. They also stick out slightly so you can see them from the side. They are about $17.00 for two, and I recommend them.
scoop43

Post by scoop43 »

So now I bought some ibrightstar amber LEDs for my DOT turn signals, to replace the stock incandescent ones, and the left side went in no problem, however the right side 1156 LED bulb went in but would not turn to lock in place. What is the deal with the sockets on these scooter? This should not be a problem you have to deal with. Anyway, I used some electrical grease on it, but it didn't help. Still won't lock into place. So I just left it as it is. So far it hasn't come out.
loganx4

Re: Buddy 170i Tail Light Problem

Post by loganx4 »

VSP wrote:
scoop43 wrote: So, can anyone tell me what LED bulbs they used that fit the Buddy rear turn signal sockets?
I use these in the rear sockets. Purchased from a local auto parts store many years ago. Fit just fine.

https://chromeglow.com/products/hyper-b ... bs?id=7512
Do they work with out a resistor being in place? ie no fast blink?
scoop43

Post by scoop43 »

I didn't add a resistor, but I did install a universal turn signal relay so it works with both standard and LED bulbs. I have had no fast flashing problem.