Buddy 170i starter motor replacement

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

hyuken

Buddy 170i starter motor replacement

Post by hyuken »

Hi, first post here, and I don't have much experience self-repairing my scooter. Can I replace the starter motor with any GY6 OEM starter motor or are there specs I need to match? I see some 9 and some 10 teeth on Amazon, will that matter?

Would this 10 tooth one work? It says it's for 50cc motors, or does that not matter?
https://www.amazon.com/Teeth-Electric-S ... 705&sr=8-7

Thanks!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I don't have any direct experience with replacing the starter motor in a PGO GY6 but from what I understand it is slightly different from those used in generic GY6's. I'm almost certain a starter motor from a 50cc engine won't work in your engine though. You have to be careful to find the correct spec'd starter. I think there were one or two threads on here that talked about this. Maybe do a search to see what you can find.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
hyuken

Post by hyuken »

babblefish wrote:I don't have any direct experience with replacing the starter motor in a PGO GY6 but from what I understand it is slightly different from those used in generic GY6's. I'm almost certain a starter motor from a 50cc engine won't work in your engine though. You have to be careful to find the correct spec'd starter. I think there were one or two threads on here that talked about this. Maybe do a search to see what you can find.
Is the right term to search for "PGO GY6" when looking at parts?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

You can try but from what I've seen there aren't a lot of aftermarket PGO specific parts out there other than genuine factory replacement parts.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STARTER-STARTI ... 1509011430

That's cross-compatible to the 170i.
SFBDY170i

Re: Buddy 170i starter motor replacement

Post by SFBDY170i »

Whatever this eBay link was above is what I’m looking for too. Anyone know?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Right here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303697129887?h ... R-by95uSYQ This is about 1/2 price of anywhere else.
Less chit chat, more riding, Buddy 50, 125, 170i, RH50, Yamaha C3
SFBDY170i

Post by SFBDY170i »

Heck yeah!
SFBDY170i

Post by SFBDY170i »

Ok. I ordered this starter. When I go to replace is it under the buddy's seat? I just replaced the starter relay. I should have looked around a bit more.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

SFBDY170i wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:28 am Ok. I ordered this starter. When I go to replace is it under the buddy's seat? I just replaced the starter relay. I should have looked around a bit more.
To replace the starter I believe the easiest way is to take the airbox off. You will want to have the seat and bucket off too. I can't remember for sure but you might even want to remove the left side cover(the long skinny piece of plastic that goes from the floorboard to the back of the scooter) to have a little more room to work.
SFBDY170i

Post by SFBDY170i »

UPDATE: I replaced the starter in my Buddy 170i today with the EBAY purchased half price part posted above. It worked! It arrived in less than 2 weeks and was labeled with "Bubu 125'' on the side.("Bubu" is what Buddy's are marketed as in Taiwan if you didn't already know). It came with the cable that connects to the starter relay as well. Since the same starter goes in Buddy's 125,150,170i (PGO product code #C1241000000) it was compatible.

For Buddy's not under warranty anymore this $73 dollar starter is an option vs. the $173 OEM part.

In the end the under-seat storage bucket had to come off and the airbox had to be removed to get at the starter. Then a few hoses and after that it was accessible. I did not have to remove side panel but if you did the whole thing would be even easier. The seals on the starters don't want to slide in or out very easily so a rubber mallet was handy also.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll try to come back and give an update in a while as to how the part is performing.