in the market for a modular helmet

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scullyfu

in the market for a modular helmet

Post by scullyfu »

i found a comparison report online, but it was a couple years old. i'm sure there's newer innovations and upgrades to the modulars by now. so i thought i'd go to some primary sources. :)

can those of you who wear a modular helmet tell me which model you wear, how you like it, weight vs. neck fatigue, price range, noise, etc.

and for those of your who wear glasses, are you happy with how your modular accommodates them?

i currently wear an hjc cl-15 ff helmet. i'm very happy with it, but the glasses thang is starting to bug me. :)

thanks.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I am very interested in this question, too. The only thing I know about modular helmets is that the latches should be metal, not plastic, for optimum safety. However, I have yet to actually see one with metal latches! But however x2, I only have first-hand experience with the Vega Summit II (inexpensive because it's a bit...CHEAP) and the HJC CL-Max (which I'm about to order via Philadelphia Scooters).

Sooo...could anyone recommend any other modulars?
ModBud #442
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

What makes a helmet modular?
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I have a Z1R Eclipse size XS that I like very much. The shape and fit are right for my head and have no problem with my glasses. On the other hand, I have a major problem with my glasses when using the Bell full face helmet that I need for car racing.

Since I have a severe problem with noise I always wear prescription custom earplugs so I can't really make a noise level evaluation.

I have no problem with the weight.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

toddrw2251 wrote:What makes a helmet modular?
For the answer, check this out but be patient. It takes a few seconds to see every angle:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... f-boxer-v/

Modulars are cool and I'm quite sure we'll see lots of testimonials from the eyeglass wearers and those suffering from claustrophobia. I'll take just a second to mention the two reasons I don't like them: weight and leakage. Typically, modulars weigh more although there are a few out there that are relatively light. Many also leak so, if you ride in the rain, be sure to find a non-leaking modular or you'll be pretty miserable.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

A modular helmet is one where the entire chin piece flips up above your head, it makes life easier if you want to say, scratch your face or take a sip of a drink.

A honda shop where I bought my helmet from said they don't carry modular helmets since they claim they arent safe. If they meet DOT saftey regulations, I'm sure they are safe, but it is true, the thing isnt very safe when the chin area is up, and in an accident it could break.
toddrw2251

Post by toddrw2251 »

jfrost2 wrote:
A modular helmet is one where the entire chin piece flips up above your head, it makes life easier if you want to say, scratch your face or take a sip of a drink.

A honda shop where I bought my helmet from said they don't carry modular helmets since they claim they arent safe. If they meet DOT saftey regulations, I'm sure they are safe, but it is true, the thing isnt very safe when the chin area is up, and in an accident it could break.
Ah thanks. I have seen them before, but didn't know what they were called.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Yep, they are heavier, and aside from leaking water (sometimes) they also leak air, so they're generally noisier (more whistle/hiss as you ride.)

They're also, by their nature of not being one piece, not Snell-approved, but most people seem to agree that a good-brand modular helmet is reasonably safe (hellsa better than a half or 3/4 for sure) and many people have issues with the Snell standard these days anyway.

I wear glasses, and it's a drag taking them off and putting them on w/ the helmet, but I still sorta prefer a solid helmet, just because mine (Shoei RF800) is really comfortable and light and quiet once it's on. my wife's modular Nolan feels huge and heavy and awkward to me.

Remember, proper fit is key, and everyone's head is different, so however much you like a helmet, it's moot if it doesn't fit your head nicely. (not just the size, but the shape of your head).
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

I've decided, no matter what type of helmet (3/4 or FF) glasses are a real pain! That is unless someone has any suggestiions for the miracle helmet for glassess wearers. I welcome suggestions.
ERik3tb

Post by ERik3tb »

how about laser eye surgery instead?

I'm waiting till summer to get that done so I won't have to monkey with the glasses under a helmet
JNV

Modular Helmets

Post by JNV »

I used to hate them because of the wind noise and they do seem bigger. But I bought one on sale and I have grown to like it very much. I wear glasses so it makes it easy to put in on and off frequently, if I am running errands around town. I will admit that it is a compromise to wear it in that a fullface will be safer and quiter. But I feel I do not ride fast enough for it to make that much of a differance, plus my wife also rides with me now quite often so it makes it easier to lift the front to talk versus yelling through a fullface. It is up to you and it may not suite everyone so thinkabout it. If you can afford it order a cheap one from newenough.com, and if you like it then get a good one later and keep a spare. I have gotten into the habit of keeping a spare helmet in case some one decides to go riding with us that does not own a helmet; like a nephew or niece.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I wear a KBC flip front and generally like it. I find it much easier with glasses than a full face. It does have metal latches that really do snap shut. The biggest plusses are being able to open it at stop lights to get some air or to talk. Even though it is rated as one of the heaviest I really don't notice the weight. It is a bit loud as most modulars are but I generally wear shure ear plug/buds anyway. I am one of those that is not swayed by a Snell designation. I do not believe that the Snell testing method demonstrates that a helmet is any safer for the first impact. Good luck on your search and remember to try them on for size. With KBC I take a medium with Fulmer (still waiting for that one to arrive!) I wear a large!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

polianarchy wrote:I am very interested in this question, too. The only thing I know about modular helmets is that the latches should be metal, not plastic, for optimum safety. However, I have yet to actually see one with metal latches! But however x2, I only have first-hand experience with the Vega Summit II (inexpensive because it's a bit...CHEAP) and the HJC CL-Max (which I'm about to order via Philadelphia Scooters).

Sooo...could anyone recommend any other modulars?
Nolan N102. Fairly lightweight, large eyeport area, with metal latches on the flip-up chin bar that can be released with one hand, and comes with a second sunshade flip-shield also. Best price I've seen for it so far is at Parts411, $241 with free shipping. -Not too bad, considering what some of the other modulars cost..! :roll: Has a DOT rating, but not Snell.

I have the 3/4 Nolan N42 with dual flip faceshields, and I like it. 8)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Both Lojical1 and I wear the HJC-CL Max and have no problems (and we both wear glasses). Very affordable (about $160-$170 depending where you shop) and comfortable.

ImageImage
ImageImage

and if you don't like advertising the logo is removable :)
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

ERik3tb wrote:how about laser eye surgery instead?

I'm waiting till summer to get that done so I won't have to monkey with the glasses under a helmet
Lasik is the single most important reason I'm riding again. One of the reasons I stopped riding for a number of years was my limited peripheral vision with glasses. I found that I was being "surprised" by things suddenly emerging from my peripheral vision and decided riding was a bit too unsafe. Shortly after lasik, I realized while riding my bicycle that my peripheral vision was amazing and that led to a scooter, a motorcycle and another scooter. If you're thinking about lasik I can't recommend it enough. It's life changing.

Someone also mentioned Snell and I'm not a huge Snell advocate either. DOT and ECE 22.05 are the legal standards and I am a bit of a fan of the ECE standard; it seems to allow for the needed shell flexibility recommended by that famous Motorcyclist article on helmet research.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

I guess I should seriously consider Lasik. Now, it's about the cost for getting it.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

There is no way I'm letting anyone put lasers in my eyes. Sharon, I have several pairs of glasses I got online from retailers portrayed in this blog: http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/. I like to wear big black "fashionable" glasses, but those don't fit well (or sometimes, AT ALL) inside a FF helmet. I got some smaller wire-rims for riding, and going the online retailer route has enabled me to get prescription sunglasses on a budget, too! I've been very happy with the quality and selection from these two places: http://www.eyebuydirect.com/ and http://zennioptical.com.
ModBud #442
JNV

Modular Helmets

Post by JNV »

One more thing. It is easier to control long hair styles with a modular helmet. You can put it on while keeping your hair back and out of your face. I had difficulty doing that with a fullface without a helmet (hair) liner. Although I will still wear a helmet liner if I do long rides to keep my helmet from getting too greasy with melting / sweating hair products. Just my thought anyway.
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

I've had several modular helmets over the years. I recently became a non-snell guy. You won't catch me with a snell helmet on my head until they change their testing methods in 2010.

If you're not familiar with this controversy look up: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html

The synopsis - in a crash it's important to reduce the impact energy that gets to your brain. Snells are too stiff and therefore transmit instead of absorb energy.

I liked the Nolan N-100 but it rubbed my forehead a little too much, good weight, not very noisy.

I'm currently wearing a Fulmer M-1 modus (ALL modus designs now have 100% metal latches). I like this helmet a lot except for when it's in the Full-open mode the face/chin part sticks up kinda high. The nolans have a cam-latch system that keeps the face/chin part snug against the top of the helmet. This helmet is a bargain at $139 and has been a huge seller for us at the shop. There are also many different tints and colored faceshields and they're the most affordable. This helmet is suprisingly quiet and has never leaked a drop in the nastiest of winter rain / snow. Fulmers tend to run a bit big, I wear a Large in Shoei/Arai/AGV/HJC but in Fulmer I'm a Medium.

I just got a Nolan N102 which now has the N-com system to work with my cell-phone and other bike to bike communicators. The Medium was too small and the Large is feeling a bit too big. They changed the shape of their molds to accomodate the more oval (U.S.) head shape. I really like this helmet and it has the built in sun-visor / sun-glasses that I like so much.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

Modulars also great for taking pic's by the side of the road when you've got a DSLR...

Otherwise, like every other helmet, get the one that fits your head the best. Having a secondary tinted visor like the Nolan, Caberg, and probably others, will make your ride even better.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I recently traded up from a 3/4 to a Vega Summit II modular. The Summit II has the most space for your face of any modular. I wear mine with glasses and sunglasses all the time. It's not easy to get on/off with the glasses on, but otherwise, it's great.

I looked for a modular for over a year before finding the Summit II. Because I have a size 7 5/8 noggin, I couldn't find one that fit despite trying at least a dozen on. A couple wouldn't close over my face at all. Several others pushed against my chin and jaw.

The quality is good and the padding is fairly comfortable—I've worn it for hours without becoming uncomfortable. The chinbar latch and visor hinge were a little stiff when I first got it, but the action has eased with daily use.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Hey Eric I may just check that Metallic Orange one for my second helmet

it's priced well too.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

pocphil wrote:The nolans have a cam-latch system that keeps the face/chin part snug against the top of the helmet. This helmet is a bargain at $139 and has been a huge seller for us at the shop. There are also many different tints and colored faceshields and they're the most affordable. This helmet is suprisingly quiet and has never leaked a drop in the nastiest of winter rain / snow.
thanks, phil. what is the model number on the nolan you mention above?

and thanks to all who responded with their input and words of wisdom. :)
louie

Post by louie »

thanks phil for the vote of confidence on the fulmer and the link to the
helmet article/debate. i'd like a modular to protect my (mother's)chin. :wink:
i just recieved a nice gift certificate from my hubby to the new scooter shop in town. they sell fulmer and corazzo so i know i'll find something great to spend my bucks on.
chelsea
Dealer

Post by chelsea »

I love the way the AGV Miglia fits. the colors are awesome, and the chin latch is metal instead of plastic, so it'll last a long time. yeah, it's not the quietest helmet in the world, but it's comparable to other modular noise wise. it retails for $169 and change, which is a bargain for a well made helmet like that.

the only issue I have with the agv miglia is that damn vent on top of the helmet. it prevents the miglia from fitting in the under seat storage on a Buddy.

so folks that are concerned about stowing it away, allow me to recommend the also very nice z1r eclipse. again, nice color selection, quality materials, all of that jazz. the extra $30 means that it fits in the under seat area.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

chelsea wrote:I love the way the AGV Miglia fits. the colors are awesome, and the chin latch is metal instead of plastic, so it'll last a long time. yeah, it's not the quietest helmet in the world, but it's comparable to other modular noise wise. it retails for $169 and change, which is a bargain for a well made helmet like that. .
checked with my scooter dealer today and they are going to start carrying these in a couple weeks. what can you tell me about the weight factor, chelsea? i can't seem to find that particular spec. :( thanks. :)
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

I moved up from 1/2 to a 3/4 helmet & now just got a FF today (upgrading because of all the wise incouragement from Modern Buddy). I bought the ZIR Stance extra small. I have a really small head (some call me "Peahead") and the ZIR is a great fit even with my GLASSES. Phew, now I don't have to consider lasix!
Thanks, Poli for the info on glass frames.
So, now what does one do with the other 2 helmets? Live & learn, right?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Sharon wrote: So, now what does one do with the other 2 helmets? Live & learn, right?
Hey they're great for guest riders or just as back ups :) then there's always the for sale section (as well as ebay and craigslist ...lol)