Yes Virginia, there is an Electric Genuine scooter!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Yes Virginia, there is an Electric Genuine scooter!

Post by jrsjr »

Meet Niu!
Beep. Beep.
Attachments
Niu Electric Scooter
Niu Electric Scooter
Genuine Niu Electric Scooter.JPG (46.16 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

I wonder if they will be importing all three models? The NGT holds two batteries for a max estimated 80 mile range. That's JUST what I would need to make my farthest normal trip. I'd have to plug in before making the return trip.

The styling isn't too future-funky. It has simple clean lines. I wonder how much cheaper it will be than a Retrospective electric conversion kit for a PX / Stella?

Here's the big question to draw in the cycle newbies. Will it be considered less than 50cc equivalent so you wouldn't need a M-class endorsement on your driver's license? My wife could operate this if this was so.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Mr.FixIt wrote:I wonder if they will be importing all three models? The NGT holds two batteries for a max estimated 80 mile range. That's JUST what I would need to make my farthest normal trip. I'd have to plug in before making the return trip.

The styling isn't too future-funky. It has simple clean lines. I wonder how much cheaper it will be than a Retrospective electric conversion kit for a PX / Stella?

Here's the big question to draw in the cycle newbies. Will it be considered less than 50cc equivalent so you wouldn't need a M-class endorsement on your driver's license? My wife could operate this if this was so.
Genuine had two models at Amerivespa, the M+ and I think the other one the N-Series. If I remember right they were both set to go ~30mph so they would be considered 50cc or smaller. But it has been a while so I could be wrong.

If you need ~80 miles to make your longest trip you might not make it on the NGT. If you go down the page a little there is a distance calculator. To go 80 miles you have to run in E-SAVE mode, weigh 150 pounds(or less,) and the temperature has to be around 80 degrees. If you want to be able to hit the 45 mph top speed you have to put it in SPORT mode and the range drops to 35 miles. I can't seem to find how fast the scooter goes in E-SAVE but it could be really slow, like 25 mph or less.

I wish I would have gotten a chance to take them out for a ride.

Here is a picture of the two they had at Amerivespa-
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Sounds like they're not ready for prime time, at least not in my book.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Mr.FixIt

Post by Mr.FixIt »

I test drove the ZERO line of electric motorcycles about 10 years ago. The torque off the line is great. This is why they give the ECO modes, so you don't waste your battery charge pulling out at every stop light.

While the technology is probably not for everyone's riding needs, it certainly fills for others. The low maintenance requirements and cleanliness over a 2 stroke are a nice plus as well. Don't get me wrong I love my infernal combustion engines, but as an electrical engineer with a short commute there's just a lot of attractive features to going electric.

The drive-train technology seems mature enough for me. Its a matter of the batteries being the weakest link in their ability to store sufficient energy. That's the limiting factor. I understand the NGT has regenerative braking. That's a nice feature. Most EV's at this size are still brushless DC motors. An AC motor at this size with the cost of the Variable Frequency Drive (like a Tesla car) is just cost prohibitive at these small sizes. The efficiency goes up with AC motors, but so does the complexity.

If there's a nearby dealer that has one in the future, I will certainly take it for a test ride.
Eric
(aka Mr. Fix It)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

scootERIK wrote:Genuine had two models at Amerivespa, the M+ and I think the other one the N-Series. If I remember right they were both set to go ~30mph so they would be considered 50cc or smaller. But it has been a while so I could be wrong.
Talking to my local dealer, my understanding is that one model is set up for 30 mph and the other about 40-45 mph. Range somewhat depends on the performance mode selected. I am looking forward to test driving one when they arrive.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

seems nice for just cruising around town for errands or short commutes and i like the idea of electric torque, less maintenance and quiet
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I should mention people with electric cars in California have not been happy during the PG&E multi day outages. Hybrids had no problems.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My local Genuine dealer in Portland now has all 3 models of the Niu on the floor - the small one and both versions of the larger one. I need to get down there and test ride the GT - up to 45 mph and a range of 65-80 miles. It sounds good, but the price is a little higher than earlier information. Nearly $5,500 OTD due to the addition of a $400 "Trump tax" import duty.

http://www.genuinescooters.com/
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Oh, the tarif that Trump said the Chinese would pay...
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Maybe the tariff is a California/Oregon deal or your dealer is trying to sneak in a markup on you. The Genuine dealers here in Florida say there is no such tariff on anything coming in.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

vintagegarage wrote:Maybe the tariff is a California/Oregon deal or your dealer is trying to sneak in a markup on you. The Genuine dealers here in Florida say there is no such tariff on anything coming in.
So what is the breakdown on the OTD price on a NIU GT in Florida?
robbincorry

Post by robbincorry »

Mr.FixIt wrote:Will it be considered less than 50cc equivalent so you wouldn't need a M-class endorsement on your driver's license? My wife could operate this if this was so.
I don't think so.
I am an adventure lover. Riding a scooter for more than 12 years
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

robbincorry wrote:
Mr.FixIt wrote:Will it be considered less than 50cc equivalent so you wouldn't need a M-class endorsement on your driver's license? My wife could operate this if this was so.
I don't think so.
My understanding is that is the point of the small model Niu. That may vary from state to state though, as every state has somewhat different rules on so called moped exemptions.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I am thinking hard about the Niu GT. There is a federal tax rebate of 10% of the purchase price on an electric scooter or motorcycle and a $750 State of Oregon rebate.That would be about $1300 off the price of a Niu GT. About enough to talk me into doing this. :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, it sounds like the Niu GT (the model with the most robust specs) is initially selling well. At this point, I am told that Genuine has a sales backlog nationally and is waiting for a new shipment of scooters about the first of February. My dealer says he has a backlog of about 12 GT's for which he has accepted deposits and is awaiting his next shipment. So far we are mostly talking about the latest thing, but it is still a good start.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Sounds like the e-scoot may outsell the G400C.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

If you have ever lived with an electric car, you will never want to go back to ICE. Smooth, quiet and powerful!
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Niu Introduces Electric Motorcycle

Post by jrsjr »

Acording to this news item on NewAtlas.com, Niu have introduced an electric motorcycle. I wonder if Genuine will add this to their lineup?
Attachments
Niu Electric Motorcycle.jpg
Niu Electric Motorcycle.jpg (31.94 KiB) Viewed 3948 times
scootERIK

Re: Niu Introduces Electric Motorcycle

Post by scootERIK »

jrsjr wrote:Acording to this news item on NewAtlas.com, Niu have introduced an electric motorcycle. I wonder if Genuine will add this to their lineup?
After reading that I wonder if Niu could make a scooter that could go 55-60 mph, 100 miles on a charge, and keep the price under $6,000. That could be a game changer.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

With a range of 80 miles, the Niu motorcycle seems to be aimed directly at commuters from the suburbs. I'm lookin forward to this one.
tenders

Post by tenders »

You mean “a range* of 80 miles.�

I don’t speak asterisk and wonder what “*� will translate to. I have a 25-mile ride each way and am pretty happy solving it sometimes in nice weather with a 150cc gas scooter solution.
Last edited by tenders on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

tenders wrote:You mean “a range* of 80 miles.�
I don’t speak apostrophe and wonder what “*� will translate to.
Well, I'm sure it means (like all EVs) that rapid acceleration or higher speeds will use up the juice faster than modest speeds and less spirited acceleration.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Oops, I meant “I don’t speak asterisk,� not “apostrophe.�

Yeah. So we’ll have to see about the range outside of the Magic Laboratory of Manufacturer’s Unrealistic Optimism.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

I could probably afford the bike, but i wouldn't have enough left over for clothespins and baseball cards.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Alzero wrote:If you have ever lived with an electric car, you will never want to go back to ICE. Smooth, quiet and powerful!
EVs, whether 4 wheels or 2 wheels, are the future of surface transportation. I applaud each and everyone of you who have taken that step now or are seriously thinking about taking that step. In my home state of Washington, ICE transportation accounts for 40% of all air pollution. Even though an EV scooter or MC makes just a tiny contribution towards reducing that pollution, it's at least a start. Congrats to those of you who are taking that first step towards cleaner air.

Bill in Seattle
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have owned and driven an electric car for 6 years now. It has served me well. I have taken the plunge and ordered a Niu GT. I am under no illusion that I will save the planet with one electric scooter, but I have enjoyed my electric car and am interested in giving the scooter a try. After I have had it awhile, I will report back on my experiences with range and other aspects of performance..
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I have an electric assisted bicycle, if that counts. It blows my mind that some cities like NY are trying to band electric bikes and the Mayor himself is making sure laws are passed to suppress their use. I guess they prefer more cars on the road. NY doesn't have enough cars on their streets, I guess.

I had considered buying a Fiat 500E, their electric powered car. But with an advertised range of only 80 miles and actual tested miles of 50-60, I passed.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

babblefish wrote:I have an electric assisted bicycle, if that counts. It blows my mind that some cities like NY are trying to band electric bikes and the Mayor himself is making sure laws are passed to suppress their use. I guess they prefer more cars on the road. NY doesn't have enough cars on their streets, I guess.

I had considered buying a Fiat 500E, their electric powered car. But with an advertised range of only 80 miles and actual tested miles of 50-60, I passed.
The reason many places are considering banning them is because of idiots misusing them. I can't tell you how many morons I've seen riding them on a busy sidewalk going 20 mph against the flow and doing stupid stuff like jumping curbs into oncoming traffic. As with most things, a few bad apples (usually teens and young adults) always spoil the barrel for everyone else.

I've never understood why they simply don't prosecute the few idiots instead of banning things which affects the 99% who are innocent and use them properly.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

It would be interesting if they would post the range while WFO. On the other hand, traffic in Houston is so bad that it would be a meaningless statistic.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

k1dude wrote:
babblefish wrote:I have an electric assisted bicycle, if that counts. It blows my mind that some cities like NY are trying to band electric bikes and the Mayor himself is making sure laws are passed to suppress their use. I guess they prefer more cars on the road. NY doesn't have enough cars on their streets, I guess.

The reason many places are considering banning them is because of idiots misusing them. I can't tell you how many morons I've seen riding them on a busy sidewalk going 20 mph against the flow and doing stupid stuff like jumping curbs into oncoming traffic. As with most things, a few bad apples (usually teens and young adults) always spoil the barrel for everyone else.

I've never understood why they simply don't prosecute the few idiots instead of banning things which affects the 99% who are innocent and use them properly.
Agree, 100%
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

No NIU scooters at my local dealership. I guess the profit margin is higher on the Vespa Electra? Kinda bummed out because I was really looking forward to seeing/riding one. Even had my gear with me. Not a total loss, did pick up the parts for my Liberty.