Winterizing Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Samuel.stucky

Winterizing Buddy 50

Post by Samuel.stucky »

Coming from someone with NO experience with this scooter or having a scooter in winter:

When should I winterize my scooter, and more importantly, how do I winterize it?
VSP

Post by VSP »

Winterize once you stop riding consistently.

Full tank of gas.
Fuel stabilizer ran a few minutes in full tank.
Check tire pressure.
Battery tender or charge battery then remove and bring inside.

I've used "seafoam" in the past but feel that "heat" works WAY better.
Voodoo [voo-doo] -adjective. Claimed or reputed to provide an ingenious or seemingly magical solution to a problem. <A HREF="http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html">Get your VOODOO here</A>
Samuel.stucky

Post by Samuel.stucky »

VSP wrote:Winterize once you stop riding consistently.

Full tank of gas.
Check tire pressure.

Thanks! Heat is a brand of stabilizer? What is battery tender or how do you charge the battery beyond riding it?
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I have a Buddy 125. I fill the gas tank, add a small amount of Sta-bil (read directions) which is a widely used fuel stabilizer and what the scooter store in my area recommends. After adding the Sta-bil run the engine about 5 minutes. If you can get non-oxy fuel (no ethanol in it), that is best to fill the tank with.

I then drain the small amount of fuel in the carburetor float bowl by opening
a little screw on the lower part of the carb. It is difficult to reach, even with a long thin screwdriver. The fuel in the carb. will trickle out through a short piece of black hose which hangs down from the carb. I have to remove a panel to access this screw. If you plan to do this study up on it. I don't know how many people actually do this. After the fuel stops draining, (it is less than a cup), close the little screw.

For sure remove the battery (take off neg. lead first, then positive). Every few weeks I will hook the battery up to a battery tender (I use the Battery Tender Jr.), which will charge the battery at the correct rate with the right amount of power). When the green light indicates a charged battery, I unplug it. My battery has lasted a long time.

Scooterville Minnesota has a winterizing video on youtube. It is quite thorough. He talks about draining the carb. float bowl, but the video does not clearly show you where that little screw is.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

VSP wrote:Winterize once you stop riding consistently.

Full tank of gas.
Check tire pressure.

^^^this...mine stays in my attached garage...i use seafoam and i bring my battery inside and charge it from time to time on a battery tender (i don't leave it plugged into the tender all the time)
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)