Buzziness in steering cluster

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fried okra

Buzziness in steering cluster

Post by fried okra »

My 2019 Buddy 125 with 350 miles has a buzzing vibration in the upper instrument speedo cluster area at light throttle opening.

Seems to be two panels or components not well separated and vibrating against each other.

Are most Buddy's like this?

Or anyone else been down this road before?

Thanks.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I've had some vibration in a panel or two depending upon RPMS. I used the same sound deadening material you use in automobiles to dampen road noise or control vibration and resonations from sound systems. Just applied it to the back of the affected panels. You don't even need to cover the entire back of the panel.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I use the auto deadening matting from Pep Boys. Its kinda sticky but works great. Same install as noted above.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Thanks group.....I guess the head cluster panel just clips on?

Or is it held on with screw fasteners maybe?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

The headset covers are held together by four screws on the bottom cover, the headlight ring (single screw at the top of the chrome ring) and plastic snaps tabs. Be careful when disconnecting the ones near the brake levers, they like to snap and then your covers will have a slight gap where those tabs used to be.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Thanks, Stanza, great input.
selftaught

Post by selftaught »

[quote="fried okra"]Thanks, Stanza, great input.[/quote]

Hey Fried Okra, have you had a chance to address yours yet? My 150 I just bought is the same - unbelievably buzzy and loud in the headlight area.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Nope, not looked into it yet, dealing with other higher priority things at the moment.

I had been riding it without a helmet, but when riding with a helmet now find it is not nearly as noticeable.

I also notice when wearing a helmet its hard to hear the turn signal indicator beeper :)