Genuine Motor Oil is here

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Genuine Motor Oil is here

Post by ucandoit »

I got an email today from Genuine Motors informing me that they have now put out their own brand of Genuine motor oils for Genuine scooters and motorcycles. The oil products are made in the USA and are available at Genuine dealers. They have 15W-40 Full Synthetic, 85W140 Gear Oil, a Synthetic 2 Stroke, and
10W40MA-2 for wet clutch motorcycle G400c. I don't know the prices but I think this may ease the worry of a lot of new owners about which oils to use.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Good idea on Genuine's part.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
tenders

Post by tenders »

How do you get on Genuine's mailing list? I'm feeling left out.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Tenders. Am not positive how I got on the list, but am thinking it's because I once emailed them questions about CVT size.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Makes me wonder whose oil they are re-badging.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Gives me a good excuse to stop by my local Genuine dealer.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

What with all the counterfeit stuff coming from China, how do you know if your Genuine oil is genuine? Because it says so on the bottle?
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Anything is possible. The Chinese could be selling counterfeit Starbucks coffee. It wouldn't be very profitable, since they dont produce oil or coffee.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

wheelbender6 wrote:Anything is possible. The Chinese could be selling counterfeit Starbucks coffee. It wouldn't be very profitable, since they dont produce oil or coffee.
Actually, China does produce coffee. It is grown in Hunan Province in the South of the Country.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I will have to try some of that Hunan coffee. China town is only 5 miles or so from where I live during the work week.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I trust Genuine.
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

Just got the notification email today. Does anyone know what Genuine's prices will be?
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

https://www.scooterworks.com/Genuine-Mo ... C1043.aspx

All you need to know is right here. Prices, etc etc etc.

For Alzero,
I may be old and blind, but I spy with my little eye a made in usa stamp right on the front of the bottle.
tenders

Post by tenders »

It isn’t directly comparable due to shipping terms, but $10 a quart is half of what I paid a few weeks ago for Motul FD 2T oil on Amazon Prime.

EDIT: I don’t understand the Scooterworks tagline, “there’s oil in every bottle!� Is that some hipster cultural reference? It just sounds dumb to me...as if an intern were faced with a box saying “add text here.�
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you are simply looking for a good price on quality oil with the right specs, I'd suggest full synthetic Shell Rotella T6 by the gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Rotella-Sy ... B01LH7L0KS
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

tenders wrote:It isn’t directly comparable due to shipping terms, but $10 a quart is half of what I paid a few weeks ago for Motul FD 2T oil on Amazon Prime.

EDIT: I don’t understand the Scooterworks tagline, “there’s oil in every bottle!� Is that some hipster cultural reference? It just sounds dumb to me...as if an intern were faced with a box saying “add text here.�
It's probably a preemptive legal maneuver to avoid lawsuits by niche collectors of empty oil bottles. :wink:
BayStateScooterist

Dooglas wrote:If you are simply looking for a good price on quality oil with the right specs, I'd suggest full synthetic Shell Rotella T6 by the gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/Shell-Rotella-Sy ... B01LH7L0KS
Yes! Also available in 15W-40 full synthetic, at Walmart.
BayStateScooterist

Stanza wrote:https://www.scooterworks.com/Genuine-Mo ... C1043.aspx

All you need to know is right here. Prices, etc etc etc.

For Alzero,
I may be old and blind, but I spy with my little eye a made in usa stamp right on the front of the bottle.
Thanks. Page bookmarked!
modsquad

genuine oil

Post by modsquad »

Keep in mind the Rotella t-6 oil mentioned is only for the 4 stroke scooters not the earlier 2-t Stella 2 strokes...
I love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

WHY RED IS RED!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Syd

Post by Syd »

BuddyRaton wrote:WHY RED IS RED!
This!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I think it was a smart move by Genuine to put out oil with their name on it.

I would like to see them sell it by the gallon or offer a discount if you buy it by the case. But I also ride a lot more than most people.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I'll be using this oil from here on. Interesting that it's a 15W-40 weight with friction modifiers. To my knowledge no one else makes that. Heaviest weight I've seen with friction modifiers is 10W-30. Not that this will give me a noticeable power gain but maybe a bit less wear over the years. Also fully synthetic which is all I use in my cars & motorcycles after break in.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

tenders

Post by tenders »

Isn't all oil a "friction modifier"? Highly doubt the supreme buying power of Genuine Scooters managed to commission an exclusive oil product beyond a custom-printed bottle.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

tenders

Post by tenders »

All engine oils have those additives. The Wikipedia article cites research from 1922.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I try to avoid oil threads, but here goes.

No friction modifiers in engine oils specific to motorcycles. The engine oil is shared with the clutch for those bikes with wet clutches. There are a few motorcycles with dry clutches, but the vast majority are wet.

If there are friction modifiers in the oil, the clutch plates will slip and won't lock. Not good.

Friction modifiers are not an issue for most modern scooters, like Genuine. I use motorcycle specific oil or Shell Rotella T6 (JASO/MA rated) for all the bikes. That way I reduce the chances of using the wrong oil, should I have a brain fart.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

The 15w-40 has "reduced friction modifiers," this oil is for 4 cycle scooters that call for JASO MB. The 10w-40 does not claim to have any friction modifiers, this oil is for motorcycles with wet clutches like the G400C that call for JASO MA2 oil.

From the Scooterworks website-
15w-40- "Your automatic scooter does not require the friction allowed by conventional MA oils- you don't have clutch plates that need to grab. With this in mind, MB oil is formulated with reduced friction modifiers. This reduces the heat generated by your engine while increasing your engine's longevity and fuel economy."
https://www.scooterworks.com/Genuine-4T ... gJj1_D_BwE

10w-40 - https://www.scooterworks.com/Genuine-4T ... gLBWPD_BwE
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

HowHH wrote:I try to avoid oil threads, but here goes.

There are a few motorcycles with dry clutches, but the vast majority are wet.

If there are friction modifiers in the oil, the clutch plates will slip and won't lock. Not good.
I really really avoid oil threads but WTF. These are scooters. The only wet clutches are in the 2T Stella's in a different part of MB.

CVTs have dry external clutches with shoes. No plates, no corks, so no clue what this has to do with anything regarding engine oil.

WHY RED IS RED!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Warning! I just checked the lab, and the nano-boric-acid thread isn't in its cage.
dowlf

Post by dowlf »

I will stick to Rotella T6 15w40 for $22 for 5 quarts from Walmart for my Hooligan. It isn't JASO MB, but rather MA-2, but I can't see it making much difference. I average 75MPG and I can't see doing much better on a Hooligan.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

Whenever I see an OEM branding motor oil, I check to see if "snake" is listed as a main ingredient.

I forget where I saw it, but some of the true enthusiasts (for lack of a better term) went as far as to send off brands of oil to a laboratory for independent testng. There were variances, but one of the best oils that came back was good old SuperTech from Wal-Mart... you know, the stuff that costs less per gallon than the orange juice three aisles over. While I use the full-synthetic version in all my bikes (without issue or noted deterioration), my Land Cruiser gets the blue-jug cheapo stuff and I haven't had a problem there either after 100K miles and 10+ years... currently 312K on the clock.