Is this a pre-Genuine Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootERIK

Is this a pre-Genuine Buddy?

Post by scootERIK »

While looking at Facebook Marketplace I came an interesting scooter. Not sure what the story on it is but it looks like a 2006 or earlier small headlight Buddy(or PGO Bubu.) It looks like a 50cc, but it has an oil filler so it might be a 4 stroke. It also appears to have a 125/150/170 sized front fender, and a different rear fender. It doesn't have the handlebar mounted turn signals that the Buddy has.

It would be cool to know the story on this scooter. In the ad the seller says it's a 2004 Dong Fang DF, though it says "Junwei" on the front and side. I tried to do some research and I couldn't find anything.

The Facebook ad - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 998522082/
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I've seen Zuma clones, Honda PCX clones, a Burgman 400 clone, a Ruckus clone and numerous others, but never a Buddy clone until now. I personally wouldn't take it for free but I would like to see one in person.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Body panels look somewhat legit, is it possible it was another importer before Genuine picked up PGO?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I was wondering if it was a rebranded PGO that was sold overseas then imported to the US(a grey market scooter.) Though there is a chance this picture wasn't taken in the US.

If I lived closer I would go take a look just to take some pictures and get some more information.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Overseas, the Buddy is the Bubu. So I don't know if this a rebrand, a clone, or a one-off relabel.

The the handlebar turn signals are strictly an American thing.

Did you see the description? "This is a vespa scooter ..."
scootERIK wrote:If I lived closer I would go take a look just to take some pictures and get some more information.
Tipton is bit too far for me. Well, maybe next weekend as I'll be in Indy...

And just looking at the overall scene, those pictures are 100% from the Midwest.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

I have a 2003 PGO MyBubu 125. It also has the turn signals located where they should be. I got interested in PGO/Genuine scooters after renting a PGO Ligero in Bermuda. When I got home from Bermuda, I researched the PGO Ligero and discovered Genuine Buddys..

See:
https://oleandercycles.bm/sales/pgo-scooters

and:
http://www.scootersales.com.au/news-rev ... eview.aspx

This is my MyBuBu 125:
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

My Buddy has its turn signals where they should be too. Not sure how that happened. The lower handle bar cover shows no indication that anything has ever been mounted there.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Also, the speedometer on my MyBuBu reads in KPH instead of MPH. I wonder if the Junwei's reads in KPH?