Replace front fork reflectors?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

eggsalad

Replace front fork reflectors?

Post by eggsalad »

I don't know if all Buddies are like this, but mine came with oval amber reflectors zip-tied to the front forks, in a most cheesy fashion. Right next to that is a lovely hole tapped M6.

I can only assume that, like the turn signal/"deadlight" issue, the original Taiwan-spec reflectors that bolted into those holes were too small - or otherwise unacceptable - to the folks at the DOT.

And while I'm generally not a fan of any mod that reduces other drivers' ability to see me, the zip-tied reflectors look so horrible that I'd budge my ethics on this one.

I see a few people have simply removed the US-spec reflectors... but has anyone found an amber reflector that bolts into the factory hole?

Thanks.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Aren't those held on with zip ties? Put a reflective stripe around the front wheel, or add reflective viny on the outside of the front forks.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 12.19.31 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-04-28 at 12.19.31 PM.png (197.62 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Is there just a single hole?

If so, then I would think that the factory version is just a round reflector with a mounting hole in its center.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

JettaKnight wrote:Is there just a single hole?

If so, then I would think that the factory version is just a round reflector with a mounting hole in its center.
What I think is they are the very same as the rear side reflectors, but in amber. Now I know what I am looking for. Thanks.
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

To be honest, I didn't even notice the zip tied front fork reflectors until reading this thread. :lol: Both of my Buddies have this setup. If you find the OEM style front fork reflector, please post it here. Thanks.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

BayStateScooterist wrote:To be honest, I didn't even notice the zip tied front fork reflectors until reading this thread. :lol: Both of my Buddies have this setup. If you find the OEM style front fork reflector, please post it here. Thanks.
IKR? Now it's going to upset my OCD.
TTaM

Post by TTaM »

I'm pretty sure in Asian markets there is no reflector, and in Europe, it is mounted much higher, thus the zip-tied reflectors in the US market. Also, the tab is only on the brake side of the forks. Its probably for a different caliper, sensor, or something to that effect, likely on a different model than the Buddy that uses the same front forks.

eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I think this is what I'm looking for

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Refle ... B07KLV3YBK
TTaM

Post by TTaM »

eggsalad wrote:I think this is what I'm looking for

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Refle ... B07KLV3YBK
You'll need an extension to reach the hole. It is in the center of the tube, not on the outside edge. At least that is how the tab is on mine. And my buddy only has the tab on the brake side of the wheel.
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

TTaM wrote: And my buddy only has the tab on the brake side of the wheel.
Oh, poo! This is the part I missed. So much for that idea!