supporting your buddy while working on it

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DENscooterguy

supporting your buddy while working on it

Post by DENscooterguy »

new here, long time looker, but now getting to posting. Since the pandemic, my Buddy 125 will be my primary way of getting downtown when I'm able to get back to my office. it needs some work. speedometer and odometer is not spinning (needs new cable most likely), new tires. oil change, gear oil, brakes.

i work on my car alot, so this does not intimidate me at all and I have the tools too. but when working on the front end, how would you support it? my car jack stands are not going to work. thank you all again. hope to hear from you soon.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Honestly, I think I would just give this old thread a quick read before launching into a lot of involved work.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

All the work you describe can easily be done on the centerstand.

If you need to, add weight to the back to tip it up. If the gas tank is full it won't take too much.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

If you plan on pulling your front wheel, you probably want to support the scooter. I use an 1100 lb mini lift, but I work on a lot of scooters. Before I bought the lift, I would use a square milk crate or empty 3 gallon bucket to hold the front of the scooter up.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 7.30.29 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 7.30.29 PM.png (191.13 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 7.35.10 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 7.35.10 PM.png (180.53 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
DENscooterguy

Post by DENscooterguy »

Cool thank you all ! they all seem like good suggestions.
tenders

Post by tenders »

I bought an inexpensive motorcycle scissor lift soon after acquiring my first scooter. I discovered that it does not work particularly well with scooters' underbelly shape or weight distribution, and is not worth the garage space.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-c ... 60536.html

(anybody in the NY area want it?)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

FWIW, I've taken the front wheel off of my Buddy to change the tire while the Buddy was on it's center stand with no issues. The rear end of the scooter is naturally heavier than the front so the front stays in the air but to be sure I put a little weight on the rear rack.

And as far as your speedometer not working, the first thing I would check is to make sure the speedometer cable that goes from the front wheel to the speedometer is still connected correctly on the bottom of the speedometer. People have had this cable fall off or someone has installed it wrong where the center cable was not fully engaged in the hole of the speedometer. It's a square hole to match the square stub at the end of the speedo cable.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

had 1 of these for my yamaha tw200 but it only has a 300lb capacity...the nice thing was i could jack the bike up high...had to ride up a thick board to get the clearance to slide it under

https://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Motocross-Lift-Red
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)