Buddy 50 won’t start after running lean too long

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brian0907

Buddy 50 won’t start after running lean too long

Post by brian0907 »

I recently upgraded to a big bore and super trans kit on my buddy 50. It started just fine after installing those. But I didn’t upjet the carb and it stopped starting after riding for a while. I put in a bigger jet today and it still won’t start. What could’ve gone wrong? Did I possibly seize the piston? Yes I’m aware I’m a big ole dummy for running lean too long.

Video of me trying to start it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/scooters/comme ... ame=iossmf
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

If it turns over it’s not seized. But the piston could have a hole burned into it from the lean mixture which means no compression. Pull the plug out and crank it over on the starter with your finger over the hole: you should feel it suck in and blow out.
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

Duplicate post
Last edited by Alzero on Thu May 21, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian0907

Post by brian0907 »

Alzero wrote:If it turns over it’s not seized. But the piston could have a hole burned into it from the lean mixture which means no compression. Pull the plug out and crank it over on the starter with your finger over the hole: you should feel it suck in and blow out.
Thanks! I have to problem kicking it, it just doesn’t start. I’ll give that a try.