2009 Buddy 50 Fuse Help

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DynamicMenace

2009 Buddy 50 Fuse Help

Post by DynamicMenace »

Hi all,

I did some searching here and Google/Youtube, and am coming up a bit short. In the attached pic, you can see what the wiring at the battery looks like for the 2009 Buddy I bought. In the box was a 10 amp blade fuse; there was no battery when I bought it, so it was just loose in there. Both parts that aren't traditional battery terminals had electric tape on them, and I assumed at first they were just for a battery tender. However, seeing as there is no fuse anywhere now, I am confused, and all the pictures I can find are of newer models, and the wiring diagram in the FAQ, and they have an inline glass tube fuse on the positive side. I hooked this battery up (tested the battery itself with a multimeter after charging; it is new and tested within range) and I didn't get any power. It could be a dozen other things (suggestions welcome!), but I immediately thought it was because of a lack of second connection to the positive side and fuse.

I was thinking of cutting into the second positive line there, adding an inline tube fuse, and then ending it with another terminal connection to go to the battery. Does that sound right, or am I missing something with this older model that I am not seeing in the wiring diagrams or pictures I can find? Is the fuse elsewhere on these older ones and I need to focus on some other testing to isolate the problem? (Sorry for the sub-par picture; under the red rubber cap is of course another terminal connection just like the black one that is shown in the picture. What I was trying to show is there is no inline fuse or second connector for the positive side.)

Thank you all for any info!
Attachments
Battery connection
Battery connection
Terminal connectors.jpg (195.6 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
VSP

Post by VSP »

Black directly to battery. Red directly to battery. Red with white stripe needs a new fuse holder installed. Check the wiring diagram for proper fuse size.
Voodoo [voo-doo] -adjective. Claimed or reputed to provide an ingenious or seemingly magical solution to a problem. <A HREF="http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html">Get your VOODOO here</A>
tenders

Post by tenders »

Yep, snip off those two crushed brass connectors and splice in a new fuse holder. Figure out what that fuse governs (upgraded horn or accessory power perhaps?) and then add in the properly-sized fuse.
DynamicMenace

Post by DynamicMenace »

VSP wrote:Black directly to battery. Red directly to battery. Red with white stripe needs a new fuse holder installed. Check the wiring diagram for proper fuse size.
You are awesome, thank you for confirming and correcting me a little more; I was definitely going to screw it up some with what I was thinking of doing until you laid it out so plainly.
DynamicMenace

Post by DynamicMenace »

tenders wrote:Yep, snip off those two crushed brass connectors and splice in a new fuse holder. Figure out what that fuse governs (upgraded horn or accessory power perhaps?) and then add in the properly-sized fuse.
This was a huge help, thank you! I was 90% there, but having you lay it out so clearly definitely got me exactly where I needed to be. Thank you!