2009 Buddy 50 stalls after warm up

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rlsaws

2009 Buddy 50 stalls after warm up

Post by rlsaws »

Hello All,
I am attempting to get 2009 Buddy 50 up and running again, but I am having a problem with the Buddy running/loss of power after it warms up. I can drive it for about .50 miles then it begins to bog down and loses all power. Here is a list of what i have changed/done

1. Cleaned carburetor adjusted float
2. Fresh gas and oil
3. Changed petcock
4. New battery
5. New choke
6. New spark plug
7. Cursed A LOT...

Any suggestions would be appreciated
tenders

Post by tenders »

Thought 1: it's running too lean and dies when the auto-enricher (choke) turns off. How does the spark plug look?
Thought 2: the float is adjusted too low so there isn't enough fuel in the bowl to get you very far. Does the scooter restart after a rest? How do you know you adjusted the float correctly?
Thought 3: the carb is simply gunked up.
rlsaws

Post by rlsaws »

Brand new spark plug with same results and when I check the plug it does not seem to be fouled

Carb was completely disassembled and cleaned. I took the carb to the repair shop and they adjusted the float so I'm assuming they new what they were doing (might be a bad assumption). The scooter runs great at idle and will run well after cooling off, but repeats the bogging down after about .5 miles.

New electric choke was installed so I am assuming the choke is good
tenders

Post by tenders »

An engine in an over-lean condition will not foul a plug, it leaves a white powder on the plug. This can do a lot of damage to the piston.

However, I don't think that's the most likely cause of your symptom here. I think the carb is misadjusted, and you're just running out of gas because the float needle isn't moving smoothly enough to allow a proper amount of fuel into the carb, or because the float level has been set incorrectly.

This line of Keihin carbs are supposedly custom-specced to Keihin by the engine manufacturer, so documentation is the responsibility of the engine manufacturer - and PGO doesn't document the float height. But I did:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31696

If you paid somebody to adjust this carb I would take it back to them. If you paid them to replace the electronic choke, which is a pretty expensive item, they owe you a bit of a favor because the odds are you would have been better off just buying a new carb. Which still might be your best option.
Footbag

Post by Footbag »

Did you take the whole scooter to the repair shop or just the carb? Did they change the jetting?

If it had run fine previously, I wouldn't change any jetting, I'd look for some sort of dirt causing clogs. Maybe check to see if the fuel filter is clogged or just look for some particles in the carb bowl.

Does it stall while sitting and idling for a while or does it have to be driven? IF it's when you are driving, that can pull dirt into the jets and re-clog if there is some sort of dirt in the tank.