Pulling cylinder without pulling the motor on a Buddy 125?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PNWbuddy

Pulling cylinder without pulling the motor on a Buddy 125?

Post by PNWbuddy »

Last year I did a 161 BBK when I had the bike entirely apart with the motor out. Since then I got a NCY big valve cylinder head that I want to try but haven't gotten around to install it yet. I will have to pull the cylinder because the big valve head uses thinner base gaskets. If anyone has done a cylinder removal without removing the motor I would appreciate any tips. I also have a NCY intake manifold that I got for free so I might give that a try, with or without a larger carb that I already have.
Footbag

Re: Pulling cylinder without pulling the motor on a Buddy 12

Post by Footbag »

PNWbuddy wrote:Last year I did a 161 BBK when I had the bike entirely apart with the motor out. Since then I got a NCY big valve cylinder head that I want to try but haven't gotten around to install it yet. I will have to pull the cylinder because the big valve head uses thinner base gaskets. If anyone has done a cylinder removal without removing the motor I would appreciate any tips. I also have a NCY intake manifold that I got for free so I might give that a try, with or without a larger carb that I already have.

I did a BBK on my Buddy 50 without removing the motor from the bike. Besides the circlip, the only other thing that was difficult was applying the hondabond sealer.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Well, you can get the valve cover off, so you might be able to get the head off...

I like the NCY manifold with the stock carb.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Thanks, I ended up pulling the motor. I had forgotten that it was pretty easy to do and this way I can put it on a bench to do the work.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Sorry I'm late.

All you really need to do is remove the rear shock bolt and let it sit down. Once the motor rotates you can access everything you need for a BBK by removing the panel under the seat and flywheel cover.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Thanks, I ended up just pulling the motor. It made it a lot easier to get at everything. I just need to get it back in the scooter. I'm looking forward to seeing if the big valve head and 26mm carb with a pod filter make any difference. I don't see how a 26mm carb would benefit a BBK without the big valve head which has a 26mm inlet to match the carb with a NCY manifold. I made a matching phenolic manifold spacer as the stock spacer would also have been a restriction. From prior experience I know the bigger carb didn't work at all well with the stock head and manifold.