Buddy 125 BBK revisited

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PNWbuddy

Buddy 125 BBK revisited

Post by PNWbuddy »

Recently I was the recipient of a NCY intake manifold which got me back to trying to improve the performance of my rarely ridden Buddy 125. I already did a Prima 161 BBK and messed around with a larger 26mm carb as well as jetting the stock carb. I purchased my scooter as a non-running project so I had it disassembled before finding out what was wrong with it (bad rectifier) and I never rode it with the stock engine so can't say what performance it would have had stock. With the BBK it is very quick off the line and will pull wheelies but it runs out of steam around 50mph GPS and tops out at around 53. 12g Dr Pulley sliders ran nice but no increased top speed and a windshield didn't make any difference either. Up jetting the stock carb just made it run too rich as did the 26mm carb, without any performance gain.

Yesterday I installed a NCY big valve cylinder head and noticed that the 26mm intake is larger than stock. Since the stock heat spacer on the head is ~22mm I'll make a new 26mm spacer. Now with the 26mm NCY manifold I'll give the 26mm carb another try, maybe with a UNI pod filter and see what if anything improves with this setup.

For anyone who has done the BBK with a NCY big valve head, I'm curious what you used as a spacer on the head, stock or made or bought a larger one? Stock manifold or 26mm like the NCY? Stock carb or 26mm? Stock filter or pod? Stock exhaust or a more free flowing one?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

To get more speed you'll need to either increase the engine's RPM capability or change the gear ratio in the transmission. Mechanical physics don't lie. Lol.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

Except that the Buddy 125 is widely reported to go up to 60+mph with stock gearing. I did buy a gear set that was advertised to fit the Buddy but it didn't fit. I don't want to go over 60 (real)mph. The motor is now with the 161 BBK, big valve head, NCY manifold and I have a 26mm carb for when I get it back in the scooter. I'm hopeful.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

PNWbuddy wrote:Except that the Buddy 125 is widely reported to go up to 60+mph with stock gearing. I did buy a gear set that was advertised to fit the Buddy but it didn't fit. I don't want to go over 60 (real)mph. The motor is now with the 161 BBK, big valve head, NCY manifold and I have a 26mm carb for when I get it back in the scooter. I'm hopeful.
When top form, my can hit at least 70 on the speedo. No need to change gears for that speed.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

There's no replacement for displacement.