Young news woman has fatal scooter crash in NYC

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wheelbender6

Young news woman has fatal scooter crash in NYC

Post by wheelbender6 »

She was riding as a passenger on a Revel electric scooter they had rented. (Photos at the link).
From the article, it sounds like it was a survivable, bumps and bruises type of accident. No car was involved. The article does not say whether the young reporter was wearing a helmet. I suspect she wasn't, because it was a rental scooter.
I know its hot out there, but wear the brain bucket every time you ride. You don't have to be hit by a car or travel very fast to suffer a fatal head injury.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/20/nyre ... -dead.html
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

https://nypost.com/2020/07/20/photos-sh ... ina-kapur/

Very sad news indeed.

Looks like the overreaction of an inexperienced rider trying to avoid a perceived threat. My guess is a combination of riding too fast, swerving, and death-grip braking at the same time. Did that myself when I first started riding.

Supposedly these rentals each come with two helmets. Disregarding the "yuck" factor of multiple people sharing the same helmet in hot and humid conditions, I wonder how scrupulous the rental company is about inspecting them for damage, wear, etc. My hunch is "not very".

I still question the wisdom of renting these things to anyone who shows up with a driver's license, especially in a crowded urban area. Having grown up in Brooklyn during the 60's and 70's when there was far less traffic and far fewer loonies, even riding a bicycle was tempting fate.
tenders

Post by tenders »

I share your skepticism on this project.

I have been working in a residential section of downtown Manhattan a few days a week and the Revels were approved for Manhattan use just a few weeks ago, as the city was coming back to some degree of operation.
Revels are an unmitigated disaster - parked parallel to the curb, in front of driveways, in front of fire hydrants, etc, indicating how little instruction Revel offers or requires about handling PTWs in their new location. And NOBODY wears a helmet - of the dozens I’ve seen in operation, literally, 0% helmet utilization. And several people were riding 2-up. The police are, for whatever reason, enforcing nothing at the moment but when they do the fines are going to be extraordinary. Or, the scooters are going to get knocked into the street by angry car parkers. Or, there are going to be a lot more stupid, preventable injuries.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My understanding is that neither rider was wearing a helmet. Stir in limited experience and little or no training - this was an accident waiting to happen on busy urban streets IMO.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Dooglas wrote:My understanding is that neither rider was wearing a helmet. Stir in limited experience and little or no training - this was an accident waiting to happen on busy urban streets IMO.
I'm not putting my head in some nasty helmet; and I'm bald.

How are the helmets stored? Don't they get wet in the rain? And probably dropped, scuffed, very little chance they fit...

We have those standup electric scooters here, and knowing how those are dumped, I can only imagine the chaos with a sit-down scooter.

Non-owners look at a scooter: "It's small and cute, it can't possibly be that dangerous."

Woe to them that have that opinion and ride.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I was waiting at a red light watching the thick rush-hour cross traffic and a guy on a scooter went whizzing by. He caught my eye as he was so tall, but then I noticed he was literally standing, though crouched, on the seat of the scooter, riding it like a surf board. No helmet, etc. And lately I'm been thinking I need to exchange my open-faced helmet for a full-faced helmet.
tenders

Post by tenders »

JettaKnight wrote:How are the helmets stored? Don't they get wet in the rain? And probably dropped, scuffed, very little chance they fit...
Two helmets fit cupped together into the top case of the Revel scooters.

Potentially dropped, scuffed, missing, wet, sweaty, skeezy...yep.
skipper20

Re: Young news woman has fatal scooter crash in NYC

Post by skipper20 »

wheelbender6 wrote:She was riding as a passenger on a Revel electric scooter they had rented. (Photos at the link).
From the article, it sounds like it was a survivable, bumps and bruises type of accident. No car was involved. The article does not say whether the young reporter was wearing a helmet. I suspect she wasn't, because it was a rental scooter.
I know its hot out there, but wear the brain bucket every time you ride. You don't have to be hit by a car or travel very fast to suffer a fatal head injury.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/20/nyre ... -dead.html
Not wearing a helmet, even one worn by a previous customer of a rental scooter, is terminally stupid. I went down on a Honda Elite 150 9 years ago going too fast and hitting a wet spot on a 2 lane country road. I was wearing my helmet - 3/4 size with full face visor. I hit the ground hard on my left side. I had my cell phone on me so I was able to call for help. The first responder was a local police officer. He asked me if I was wearing my helmet which I had removed to make the call. I said "yes" and sure enough, there were scratch marks on the top left side of the helmet where my head had hit the ground. 9 days in the hospital and 8 days in a rehab facility later I was back on my feet. Had I not had my helmet on I'm confident I wouldn't be here today typing this response.

Bill in Seattle
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Looks like Revel has suspended scooter rentals after there has been a second Revel rental scooter death in NYC. Not looking good for Revel rentals.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/28/tech/rev ... index.html
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Wow, they offer a free 45 minute training lesson.

I wonder if they throw in some warm sake and a couple of banzai's before you head out to bring honor to Hizzoner?